Would you go back to the bucket?

Chila88

My DD is 9mos, 22lbs and I have to check her height, but probably about 30". She is currently in a MA70.

Today winter struck HARD :eek: and its currently -15C (about 5F) snowing hard and winds are gusting to 45km/hr (about 30m/h). Yuck! So out we went this morning to our playgroup with me griping the whole way about how I wish DD was still in a bucket cuz I find it SO much easier in winter. However she outgrew our PVSIP by height a few months ago.

Anyway, at playgroup a friend offered to lend me her SS1 to use.

If you were me, would you take her up on her offer and go back to the bucket? I of course, would have to double check that she still fits by height, but last time I was at BRU she still had several inches above her head. And it would mean hauling a pretty heavy baby around. But is the trade off worth it????

ADS

Pixels

It would depend on how close of a friend, and if I 100% trust that the seat has never been in an accident or mistreated, harness washed properly, etc.

We moved DD back to the bucket when winter rolled around (May baby). Just because you have a bucket, doesn't mean you have to take it out of the car every time. If you don't want to take it out, don't. When it's convenient to take the bucket out, take it out.

babyherder

Sure. When you want to take it out of the car, take it out. When you don't want to leave it in. It just means you have the option of removing the seat when you want.

And, um, stop driving when its snowing hard?

Chila88

This is life for us up here! If I stayed home everytime it snowed.....I'd be inside all winter with a toddler and a baby (which isn't happening!!! ) :) It snows.....but life goes on!

Lemonade

ABSOLUTELY! I had a SR22 and DD grew out of it while it was still chilly and she was still napping in the morning (when I usually ran errands). I nearly bought a SS1 but it was $99 and I thought DH would kill me if I could only get 3-4m out of it. But a couple of months later I mentioned it to him and he said I should have done it (was getting sick of being tied to house for her nap). I totally would borrow a seat if you have a reliable one offered to you!!!

babyherder

This is life for us up here! If I stayed home everytime it snowed.....I'd be inside all winter with a toddler and a baby (which isn't happening!!! ) :) It snows.....but life goes on!

Ok. Well in that case, get the bucket! I'm in Connecticut so when it snows we usually don't go out. But it doesn't snow hard all the time so I guess we have that option.

Chila88

ABSOLUTELY! I had a SR22 and DD grew out of it while it was still chilly and she was still napping in the morning (when I usually ran errands). I nearly bought a SS1 but it was $99 and I thought DH would kill me if I could only get 3-4m out of it. But a couple of months later I mentioned it to him and he said I should have done it (was getting sick of being tied to house for her nap). I totally would borrow a seat if you have a reliable one offered to you!!!

I totally forgot about the nap thing. I was so ripped at that inconvenience when she outgrew our other one a few months ago....but I've kinda gotten over it. But man, ya that would be a nice perk to have back too!!!

They fit pretty well in a P3 right? I think I remember reading that somewhere on here (I'll have to do a search) but that would also be another big perk.

chay

I assume P3 is a Peg Perego P3 stroller. If so then the SS1 fits great in it.

I specifically bought a SS1 for DD even though I had a SR I could have used just because of our nasty winter. With DS's many, many appointments staying in was simply not an option the second time around (that and it was easier to handle him when at least one was in the bucket and all cozy before going out to the car).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Go for it. :) I've been in similar shoes in a cold, northern climate when DD2 outgrew her Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat by height at 6 months old in December, and specifically got a SS1 to continue using an infant seat through the winter for her. I would have gotten the SS1 to use from birth had it been available sooner, but it wasn't on the market until late fall/early winter after DD2 was born.

canadiangie

Yup been there and did buy a SS1 for my then 11 month old so that she could be warm and also nap.

And to be honest I don't even like infant seats.

And here I am with a noob still not liking to lug an infant seat around but totally needing it with this terrible weather.

So to answer your question, yes if you want to you should borrow your friends SS1. :)

leighi123

I wouldnt, but I also thought ds was too heavy in his infant seat when he was only 7lbs.

I would get a nice winter baby carrier, like a fleece pouch style one, or a mei tai with a babywearing poncho or something. No lugging of anything, and its warmer for both of you b/c of body heat

andre149

I would go with the bucket, like others have said you don't have to take it out of the car, but you have the option to.

Random side note too, but a few years ago my mom had a friend over who had a little one (about 3 months at the time) in a bucket seat. Her friend was carrying the baby in the seat, slipped on the ice and fell... baby landed hard, but was fine. I'd be scared to think how it could have been different if baby hadn't been in the seat. Now granted, she had to get a new seat, and this situation isn't all that likely to happen... but if it does, I'd be glad I had my baby in a bucket and not my arms :)

cdncasper

I have actually been considering doing the same since his Marathon expires in January and I have a perfectly fine Snugride32 that is only a year old and than I wouldn't have to buy another one just after christmas.

fyrfightermomma

I would. I wish I could actually! Mine is too big and I hate dragging him around in the cold and it's not even THAT cold yet! Wait till its -20 windchill, 40 mph winds and a blizzard :(

Chely7425

Yes, I would! I have a younger baby (almost 5 weeks) and don't live in anywhere near as cold of a place but I am SO glad to have an infant seat!

ninejr

Yes, I was just wishing I had a bucket to go back to today. Snowing and cold and me about to scream trying to get the stupid MA harness tight enough. It is going to be a long winter.

amyd

I would. I got a bigger bucket for this baby (had to move DS to a convertible in the fall...this baby is due the same time of year) so we could hopefully make it through the first winter.

krasota

I personally wouldn't, but I find it very hard to walk in snow or on ice with a bucket knocking my balance off. It's easier for me to wear kiddo inside my coat and then use a steel-tipped pole for extra balance.

menfusse

I would without batting an eye. In fact the SS1 came out when E would have still fit and she still slept frequently (still does for that matter). I hated dragging her out asleep when we had to go into places, especially restaurants. I contemplated buying a new one then just to get through the winter, and for longer trips when I knew she'd be sleeping. Ultimately, I didn't, but coveted everyone I saw with a snuggly snoozin' kiddo in a bucket.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC