Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

In accident. Question about replacing seats.

My husband was side swiped on the way to work today. The damage was to the driver side. I haven't seen the car yet but hubby says the side of the car is pretty messed up but the car is still drivable. The air bags didn't go off. We have 2 car seats in the car - one installed in the middle and one on the passenger side. Do we need to replace the seats? The one in the middle in an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 that is going to expire in Dec. so I would love if replacing it was covered by insurance. The other is a Nautilus around 2 years old. TIA.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: In accident. Question about replacing seats.

They both have to be replaced as per the manufacturer's instructions and should be covered by insurance.
    Alice, May 2009, riding in a Frontier
    Astrid, May 2015, riding in a Snugride 30

ICBC (insurance company in BC) replaced both of my unoccupied seats after a minor accident. 1st lady I talked to said, "nope, not needed". 2nd lady said, "of course they need to be replaced". So, if you don't like the first answer try again! LOL

And, here,you need the original bill to *prove* what they were worth, then they replace w/ an equivalent seat. ie 3 in 1 vs convertible. Further, if you can not find the bills, the 3 in 1 is worth more than the Nautilus. They have a standard amount per seat ie baby bucket $50, 2 in 1 something like $75-100 & then 3 in 1 $100+ I forget the exact amounts...So, if you have no bills, I replace, give the bills & hope for the best, but buy from somewhere you can return, if they don't pay what you *need* for them...

ie Maestro vs Nautilus price wise.

tam

Thank you both so much for replying! I thought they had to be replaced but wasn't positive since it was a minor accident.
    I would like to buy another Nautlius and I hate the 3 in 1 and was thinking about replacing it with a My Ride when it expired. I'm hoping that won't be much of an issue since it's not the same seat.

It really depends on your ins. company as far as I can tell. When our seat was crashed (Empty, thankfully) our ins company cut us a check for the price of our safeseat, which we were able to use to buy a myride instead.

ICBC makes you replace the seats, hand over the damaged seats & then give them the ORIGINAL bill. Then, they mail you a check.

When I wanted to change seats. I just bought what I *had* at TRU, got a gift receipt. Then, gave them the original. Then, I returned the seat w/ the gift receipt & bought what I now wanted.

A friend went to a high end baby store & they just wrote her a bill for what she *had* & then sold her what she wanted.

Another friend, just bought a different seat & gave them the bill. Her agent wrote her a cheque for the seat she bought.

Another friend, did above & her agent wrote her a cheque for the lesser amount.

Depends on the seats & the agent. They seam to complain more when it's a baby bucket being replaced w/ a convertible...

I'd ask around to see what the rules are where you live, they are all different...

tam

OP - are you in BC? I can't see your location in your profile...

I am in ON and have never had to jump though hoops to get my seats replaced. I wasn't asked for bills of the original seats, or even what seats they were. I was told to just go and buy new seats and send them the bill. But it might vary depending on the insurance co. They covered the full cost of the new seats - not just the remaining value of the old seats...

Hope you don't have too much hassle with them...
    Cheers,
    Anjer - CPST in ON...

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

OP isn't in BC, and will have to check with their insurance company.

If there's a problem, we have a few tricks that you can use in getting your seats replaced. Anywhere is better than BC--ICBC tries every trick in the book not to replace seats. They even refused to replace Misty's crashed seats with the original receipt, recently.

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com