Booster or laptop?

Splash

Child is 5 years old, 48 pounds, 43 inches. Main use for this seat would be the front seat of a 2008 Ford F-150. Captain's chairs, airbag off.
I don't own a booster, can get basically anything (but the PWSG doesn't fit him well). The only thing I don't like about the laptop is that it doesn't sit completely flush due to the hip and side bolsters on the vehicle seat itself.

Here is a (bad) picture of said cutie in the laptop. (Watch it be enormous)
76306_1657606755382_1093506991_1758912_3059578_n.jpg

Which would you choose?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Since there's a lap/shoulder belt, and purchasing a booster isn't a financial problem, I'd go for a well-fitting HBB over an expired (by two years) Laptop. :twocents:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If the Laptop wasn't so expired, it would be my first choice. It's all foam, so the expiration doesn't scare me as much as it does other seats, but I just can't justify using an expired restraint when there are other options available to you.

Splash

Yeah, I figured someone would chime in on the "expired" issue. For me, though, it doesn't bother me in the least that the seat is 8 years old. It doesn't enter into my thinking on the safety aspect. So, say I had imported this seat last year and it was basically brand new, would you still say booster?

ETA- Okay, say the laptop is a better choice safety wise if it were new. If my choices were buy a booster, any booster, or import the laptop from Germany, which would you pick?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If it was brand-new it would still be illegal, and I'm kind of a sheep that way.

Make it brand-new and legal, and I'd absolutely use it over a BPB.

TXAggieTech

Front seat, booster. I wouldn't want a Laptop between a tiny body and an airbag. We were told multiple times not to trust airbag sensors or switches. Do not know if there was any data behind that though.

Back seat, either one.

urchin_grey

I dunno, but I must know where I can get my hands on one of these. :whistle: I might have a nephew who's dad maybe sort of can't manage to use a harnessed seat correctly.

scatterbunny

We loved our Laptop (and used it in the front seat of a Ford F-150, also...but ours was a 1993 or 1994, and we used it in the center lapbelt spot), but I would probably choose a booster, as well, for a couple reasons: the age of the Laptop, and the fact that it's in the front seat if a single cab truck. I'd rather have the child sitting a little higher up, and with some measure of side impact protection from booster wings, in that particular vehicle/seating position.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Front seat, booster. I wouldn't want a Laptop between a tiny body and an airbag. We were told multiple times not to trust airbag sensors or switches.

Sensors are questionable, switches are safe. :thumbsup:

I think it would depend on the child. The laptop would certainly do a better job of keeping the child properly positioned, which is important in any case but particularly up front where there are a lot more distractions.

Baylor

I gotta say again. Someone should make them.. I know.. cars now are made with lap/shoulder belts however.. Look at all the old cars on the road.. I bet they would sell like crazy. I would buy 4 of them. They seem much easier to use and I would give them out like candy to people I know putting their kids in seatbelts alone because of the hassle of the booster... Rant over...

I don't have any expert opinion about the choice. Just wanted to say.. That child is adorable and looks so comfy in the laptop.

Last edited:

daycaremom2002

See, I think I might go for the laptop. It keeps him farther back and in position. If he is all the way back in the seat like that, where would the airbag actually be in relation to him? Is he too short? If it would clock him in the chin, then up higher in a booster. But I like that he is so far away from the airbag to begin with in the laptop.

monstah

My opinion? I would import a new shield or use a BPB.

I know a seat wont disintegrate a year after it expires... what kind of foam is the laptop made out of? It just makes me nervous thinking the seat is what, 8? 10? years old?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe the Parkway SGL will fit him better? (Even if you use the laptop now, it won't fit him forEVER, right? :whistle:)

4boysmom

I gotta say again. Someone should make them.. I know.. cars now are made with lap/shoulder belts however.. Look at all the old cars on the road.. I bet they would sell like crazy. I would buy 4 of them. They seem much easier to use and I would give them out like candy to people I know putting their kids in seatbelts alone because of the hassle of the booster... Rant over...

I don't have any expert opinion about the choice. Just wanted to say.. That child is adorable and looks so comfy in the laptop.

The reason they were discontinued in the US is because of the LATCH rules. It is not classified as a belt positioning booster since it can be used lap belt only and thus must have LATCH, but it too too wide to fit LATCH spacing so it got discontinued.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC