I'm totally bummed!

djma

I posted earlier about my neighbor who has the AO Elite and was having problems with it leaning. Well, I went to help her tonight and was really no success. I would have been if she had been willing to move him outboard. Taking it off the base really didn't help much because she didn't like the angle it put her son at (he's 16 months, 18 pounds) - she said it was too upright.

So I basically installed it the same way she had it. I told her that I've read on here that some leaning is okay, but to just keep checking the tightness of the install. It really only leans if someone gets into the seat next to the AO (which doesn't happen often - but is her reason for not wanting him outboard...for the rare occassion someone has to ride back there). I really wanted her to move him outboard - I showed her that it would fit better and she admitted that it would, but didn't want to lose the possible seat.

So I feel I accomplished nothing...:(

Why will some people agree with you on the whole extended rf thing - but not want to work with you or their seats to get it right???

ADS

broken4u05

How is seat loosing a seat if it is outboard? there are still 2 seats there right? Or am i missing something. I have many times had someone sit in the middle of my car with 2 seats each outboard

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, I would rather use it in the center also. It is a lap shoulder in the center? If so, why not just use the locking clip to fix the leaning problem? Or is there a bump in the middle? ack, too many questions!

tiggercat

Taking it off the base really didn't help much because she didn't like the angle it put her son at (he's 16 months, 18 pounds) - she said it was too upright.

Take off the base and use a pool noodle or a tightly rolled towel in the seat crack to adjust the recline.

djma

We tried towels. Didn't help. It leans to the right if someone sits down. It's the hump in the middle that's making the seat not work right. I told her that not all seats are created equal and that not all seats fit all cars and that the seat base was wider than the space alloted inbetween the shoulder/lap belt and the buckle (does that make sense?). Even without the base it's still wider.

Her approach is "this is the seat we bought, we're keeping it, I'll make it fit."

I can understand not wanting to lose a seating spot - because no one would be able to sit in the middle if she had him outboard. BUT, the way I am with my car seats, if I couldn't get a good install in the middle - than I'm moving it outboard.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I'd try without the base with pool noodles. They work MUCH better than towels. It wouldn't hurt to try a locking clip since that would hold the lap and shoulder together.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC