a couple of issues I need ideas on

mommyfrog

My niece is 2yrs 4 mos and is rf in a Radian 65 with old style chest clip (if that will make a difference). My sister has noticed her car seat being unbuckled a couple of times and thought maybe her 7yo did it. But then she started complaining that she undoes the chest clip. Then she revealed that she was taking the straps off her shoulders. So here's what's happening. Seh is undoing her chest clip, taking her shoulders out, and unbuckkling her car seat. I asked my sister why she didn't use LATCH. She said it won't install tightly with LATCH. 2003 (maybe!!) Tahoe. So she said she was going to buckle the LATCH, then install tightly with the seat belt. I told her I'm sure there's a fix for this. So help me think of what we can do here. What can we do to stop her from undoing the chest clip? She doesn't know she does it until they get to where they are going. Solve that and we solve the other issue too!! Thanks.

ADS

cat mommy

A suggestion I have seen here is to put her in a zippered lightweight sweatshirt, buckle her in, then zip up the cardigan over the harness. So she can't reach the chest clip.....until she figures out how to unzip her sweatshirt.

At that age, I would probably use disciplinary techniques too. I don't like to spank, but for something dangerous like that, I would.

Pixels

Generally, buttons are harder to do than zippers. Use whichever is harder for the child to do.

For this, I would use a mirror so that the driver can immediatly discipline the child and stop the behavior.

Not that having the carseat uninstalled makes much difference if the child is out of the harness, but try flipping the female buckle so the release button is on the inside. It might keep it out of sight, out of mind.

mommyfrog

Thanks. I'll have her dig her baby mirror back out if she still has it so she can watch her. She doesn't usually spank but I know she's not totally opposed to it, so yeah discipline will be good. She's the baby of the family by 5 years so a little spoiled!! I'll suggest the button/zipper thing but I have a feeling she can undo them already as she undresses and redresses herself several times a day!! Is there any other kind of chest clip that SK would allow that may be harder to undo? I have an extra new style I could give her, but I'm not sure if they are any harder. I already suggested flipping the seat belt stalk once and that's when she said she'd just use Latch and seat belt.:rolleyes:

karlatta

Discipline doesn't have to involve spanking. Anything that would motivate the child to leave the chest clip alone would work. Whether it's a negative consequence (like not getting to go to the fun place they were headed) or a positive consequence (like getting a sticker or something for staying safe), it could work. Depends on the child's personality and the parent's discipline techniques used in other situations.

jjordan

I can't believe she can unbuckle the old chest clip! It's a real challenge! Maybe the scratchy velcro trick (put scratchy velcro on the chest clip, where she'd have to push to get it open)?

mommyfrog

Yes, me too. But she is a very strong, strong willed, and smart kiddo!!! Velcro might work, or stickers as rewards, or a special goody. Good ideas here. I'm sure we can get one of them to work, or a combination.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Velcro would be very difficult on that chest clip, since instead of push-button it's a sqeeze-the-sides type.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC