Graco MyRide buckle stuck

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
Anyone else have a problem with their Graco MyRide crotch buckle sticking? This has been going on for like 2wks with Nicholas' seat. I'm calling Graco when he goes down for a nap and I've reported it to NHTSA. But I'm just wondering if it's just my seat or every ones seat that is doing it.

I can see how it would be very dangerous if we were in a collision that caused the car to catch fire or the car went in water. If the buckle stuck I would have a hard time getting him out of the seat if I had to move him.

ADS

pepsicola

Yikes! I don't think ours has ever done that, it's over a year old but it's a spare seat in the grandparent's car and dosen't get much use. Hopefully Graco will send you a new buckle.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I actually just had this happen for the first time yesterday. We've had our MR since January or February. I could not for the life of me get DD unbuckled. It took two hands and a lot of effort. I didn't have a problem this morning with it though.

Keeanh

There is definitely a spot where the buckle gets stuck. With mine, it only seems to stick a little when there's extra tension on it, like if DD is pushing against the harness. If I push the buckle tongues into the buckle while I'm unbuckling, it works. It's only once in a while, and I've never had it really STUCK.

emtb79

I have with the nauti and the SR35. Same buckle as the MR. Screaming baby+ stuck buckle= unhappy frazzeled Susan.

jujumum

If you press down on the red button and one or both tongues does not pop out, then stop pressing. Let go, and press again. If you keep holding down the red button, nothing will happen. Ours always has unbuckled on the second attempt.

If you call Graco, though, they'll likely send you another one.

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
Graco is sending a new buckle. It was easy to get her to send me one after telling her I was a CPST. LOL

Here's the shortened convo after giving her all the info about the seat and DOM:

Me: The metal buckle tongs are getting stuck when I try to release them to get my son out of the seat.

Her: Is juice or gummy bears stuck inside the buckle?

Me: Nope.

Her: Are you sure? You can buy a new buckle if that is the issue.

Me: Ma'am, I'm a child passenger safety tech. I've checked the buckle and the tongs thoroughly, the tongs are catching on a metal part inside of the crotch buckle and it takes two hands and a lot of force to get them to realise. If the car was on fire my son would be trapped and possibly die because I can't get him out easily. I don't need a new seat or new tongs, I just need a new crotch buckle, that should be free of charge because it's a defect on the seat.

Her: Oh! Well then I guess you know what you are talking about. I'll send one out by Fed Ex.

Dorothy

If you press down on the red button and one or both tongues does not pop out, then stop pressing. Let go, and press again. If you keep holding down the red button, nothing will happen. Ours always has unbuckled on the second attempt.

This. I don't have trouble, but DH and MIL almost always do. My theory is that neither is blessed with patience, so they don't give both tongs the chance to disengage before they start tugging (which leads to more tugging, yanking, pressing, and grumbling while the almost-3yo waits patiently ;) ). But its good to know the process of getting a new buckle if need be. So, thanks to the OP for sharing her convo w Graco CS.

Dorothy

This. I don't have trouble, but DH and MIL almost always do. My theory is that neither is blessed with patience, so they don't give both tongs the chance to disengage before they start tugging (which leads to more tugging, yanking, pressing, and grumbling while the almost-3yo waits patiently ;) ). But its good to know the process of getting a new buckle if need be. So, thanks to the OP for sharing her convo w Graco CS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC