Went to Halifax for a vacation and saved a baby!!!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We were checking in to our hotel the night before our flight and had to take a shuttle to the airport. I innocently asked at the front desk counter if the shuttle had seatbelts so I could install the boys carseats. She said yes, and that I should come down 20 minutes early to give myself enough time to install the seats. I said, I only need two, I do this all the time and help friends learn how to install their seats as well.

She says, I could have used you a few days ago and the other attendant says, I could use you now. So, I said, well what do you need to know. She has a 3 in 1 and took the cover off to wash it. She couldn't figure out how to get the cover off so she cut the elastic that was holding on the cover and somehow cut the harness as well.:eek: She tied the harness in a knot at the back of the seat and called it good to go.:eek: :eek::eek: Long story short, she has a 40lb, 4 year old and went out to Walmart that evening to buy him a Bolero and keep him harnessed as long as possible.

I also explained the 5 step test and how they could tell when their older children (one 8yrs, the other 10yrs) would be able to be out of a booster and into the vehicle seatbelt.

They had lots of questions and really seemed to soak up the info, so I was on a high for the rest of the evening!:D

ADS

Yoshi

Doesn't the Bolero only harness to 40 lbs.? Are you in Canada? Great thing you did to help her out- that tied up harness was a disaster waiting to happen:eek:

djma

Glad you were there! I cannot believe she thought it was "good to go" by putting a knot in it! :eek:

BudgieStew

:eek: :eek: :eek: Glad you were able to help her out.
But did you find out what the other attendants issue had been a couple of days previous was.
The booster law just came into effect Jan. 1st in N.S.
My Mother was telling me that the news was talking about getting the old seats out of the garage or attic to use with the kids again and that Freecycle and Craiglist were a hot bed of dirty old seats.
Boosters were sold out in stores at the time so who knows what seats half the kids are sitting in now.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
But did you find out what the other attendants issue had been a couple of days previous was.
My Mother was telling me that the news was talking about getting the old seats out of the garage or attic to use with the kids again and that Freecycle and Craiglist were a hot bed of dirty old seats.
Boosters were sold out in stores at the time so who knows what seats half the kids are sitting in now.

She had one of the older children and wasn't sure if the booster she had put her into (due to the law) was fitting correctly. That's when I explained the 5 step test to both of them. She was going to go home and check the fit of the booster on her daughter.

beeman

Sounds like what is going to happen in Saskatchewan when the booster laws come into effect. The stores know the law is coming, and at least one of them should have the foresight "hm, a lot of people wait till the last minute to do things. Maybe we should stock some extra." So they run out, and people are "digging the old seats out of the garrage" :doh: (not quite banging head into wall, but close enough!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC