Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Do you have the screws installed in your TurboBooster armrests?

I figured I'd make a nice "go-to" thread regarding the TurboBooster screws.

If you are thinking to yourself, "What screws?!" check out my pictures below.

There is a baggy that came with your TurboBooster. It included the manual, the shoulder belt positioner, and a bag of two screws.

Inside that bag, there was a little bag of screws.

This is what the side of the TurboBooster looks like if there are not any screws installed in the armrest.

This is what it should look like with the screws installed.

Why are the screws so important?

Graco is very insistent on having the screws installed. While we do not know the exact reasoning that the screws are required, there have been some theories tossed around. Please note that these are only theories. One theory is that, upon impact, the incredible strength of the crash forces may cause the armrests to detach from the booster. This poses a problem because the armrests are what act as a child's hip bones. If the armrests are not acting as the hip bones, the seat belt may slide up onto the child's soft tummy, where it can severely damage, injure, crush, or cut internal organs. Or, perhaps the seat failed testing without the screws installed, or maybe it was not tested at all and we just do not know what will happen. If it has not been tested without the screws, then I am not willing to use my child as the crash test dummy to find what out WILL happen.

Either way, we do not know exactly why the screws must be installed -- All we know is that Graco requires it, and they absolutely forbid the use of the TurboBooster without the screws properly installed.

My TurboBooster doesn't have screws! What do I do?

If you do not have the screws installed and you have lost them, I recommend calling Graco (800-345-4109 (US) and 800-667-8184 (Canada) ) or go to Graco's website -- the Replacement Parts search and put in your Model Number and Date of Manufacture and underneath the option, "Height adjustment screw for armrest (1 of 2)", click on two (you need two screws for each seat) and they will send you free screws -- free shipping and everything. They should arrive within a week or two, depending on your location.

I do not recommend going to a store and buying screws -- You need to be able to ensure that you are using the correct screw. There are many different shapes, sizes, and lengths. Ordering (for free!) directly from Graco is the best way to ensure that you have the correct screw, and you will know your seat will function properly.

The Date of Manufacture, Model Number, and Serial Number (if required) can be found on the bottom of your booster seat, on a white sticker.

The newer TurboBoosters that are being sold have the screws pre-installed, but there may still be some TurboBoosters being sold (such as the High Back Turbos or older ones that have not been sold yet) that do not have them installed. Or, you may already own a TurboBooster. Either way, be sure you have those screws in so your children can be riding safely!

Edited to Add, as it has been brought up later in the thread.

Technicians!

If you are a technician and need some screws for your tech kit, you can order a bulk amount from Graco's website. Just go to that above link and use the Model Number - 8491RGB - and the Date of Manufacture (DOM) of - 02/05/2008 -. All Turbos use the same screw, so it will work for all Turbos.

You can order up to five screws at a time per each order submitted. When I re-order a bulk of Turbo screws, I order 5 screws per each order, but then I place 4 or 5 orders. They all will arrive in separate packaging, but should arrive within a couple days of each other. Turbo screws seem to be handed out quickly at checks because Turbos are such a popular booster, so I recommend having a lot on hand! You will also need a Phillips screw driver; another good thing to have in your kit.

I do not recommend just going to a local hardware store and purchasing bulk. We (as a forum) have tried this in the past and it did not work out. There are many different shapes, sizes, lengths, etc. You are much better off just ordering directly from Graco where you have no doubt it will work.

I've never had a problem ordering a bulk amount from Graco.
    Last edited by Mae; 11-18-2010 at 02:36 AM.
    Click here to learn about those little green boxes, aka, reputation and "thanks"!
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Do you have the screws installed in your TurboBooster armrests?

why yes, i do

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Yes I do. The latest Graco NBBs I have seen in stores already have the screws in the holes. The HBBs do not, or the ones on the shelf didn't.
    Last edited by Chameleon; 11-17-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: added to my train of thought
    DD1 12 Seatbelt
    DS 10 Seatbelt
    DD2 8months Keyfit

5. Thank You from:

Mae

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    Yes I do. The latest Graco NBBs I have seen in stores already have the screws in the holes. The HBBs do not, or the ones on the shelf didn't.
    Oh, I meant to add that to the OP! Thanks for reminding me.
    Last edited by Mae; 11-17-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Updating the quote. =)
    Click here to learn about those little green boxes, aka, reputation and "thanks"!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Thank you!!! I'm tempted to print that out and put it up at Piper's school. There were 10 Turbos out for a field trip today (sigh, the primary classroom, mostly 3-5 year olds, and only three of them had backs) and three had screws. I think I put screws in two of those three.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Thank you!!! I'm tempted to print that out and put it up at Piper's school. There were 10 Turbos out for a field trip today (sigh, the primary classroom, mostly 3-5 year olds, and only three of them had backs) and three had screws. I think I put screws in two of those three.

Wendy
    Feel free to print it out and use it. If it will help keep a child safe - Go for it! The only thing I ask is that people do not use my photos and claim them as their own.

CPS Fanatic

Yep. I can't even use my good one and it has screws in it. My crashed one has screws in it. I may even add in another set of screws just to be extra safe (jk, course). I do have extra screws that I offer to others with screwless TBs.

YOU ROCK, LADY!!
    desiree'
    Michael (Autism), 3.5y, 43lbs, 43", FF'ing in a Nautilus
    Aunaliese (PDD-NOS), 26m, 22lbs, 33.5", RF'ing in a Multi Tech
    Missing baby Josef Rain (born sleeping 12.10.10)

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Mine doesn't, but it's my teaching booster because it was involved in a crash right before it expired. It didn't have the screws in for the crash, either. Luckily it was a very low-speed impact.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

I don't have one, but I've put them in all of the Turbos I routinely borrow...

Mae, you should link this thread in your sig.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

13. Thank You from:

Mae

Senior Community Member veggiegirl228's Avatar

Yes we do. I made sure of it. They (school) had a field trip last month and a NBB was left for transportation for one of the kids and I noticed right away NO SCREWS.
    Jennifer, SAHM to DD, 9.9 yrs old, 4'7", 73 lbs. Current ride is Safety 1st Incognito

Thank you so much for including the Canadian number! The CA website is crap, I've been on the hunt for these for the last few days!
    3 kids riding across in a Nissan Altima - how did that happen? Orion in a Britax Parkway, Alice RF in a Safety 1st Complete Air and Terran in a Graco Snugride 35!

I don't have a TurboBooster, but I'm a teacher and the one we keep for transporting kids if necessary at school NOW has screws thanks to me. I'm reasonably sure the boosters in every other school in the board are lacking screws too.

I am annoyed because when I called Graco to ask for replacement screws, I specifically asked for them to send extra screws and explained that I'm a tech and would have lots of opportunities to use them (I don't know if I've ever seen a TB WITH screws) - but when the package arrived it only had 2 screws. What a waste of postage and a padded envelope!

Jennifer, CPST in Nova Scotia and mommy to
    DD born Oct. 12, 2006, FF in a Frontier and
    DS born Jan. 7, 2009, RF in a Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by jbarro View Post
    I don't have a TurboBooster, but I'm a teacher and the one we keep for transporting kids if necessary at school NOW has screws thanks to me. I'm reasonably sure the boosters in every other school in the board are lacking screws too.

I am annoyed because when I called Graco to ask for replacement screws, I specifically asked for them to send extra screws and explained that I'm a tech and would have lots of opportunities to use them (I don't know if I've ever seen a TB WITH screws) - but when the package arrived it only had 2 screws. What a waste of postage and a padded envelope!

If you go to the website, you can order up to six screws at a time, per each order. Actually, they may have changed it to four now. Anyway, I just order four (or six, whatever it is) and place four orders in a row.

If you don't have a booster to get a DOM and model number, a quick look at the Graco website can find you a model number, then make up a DOM.

If you can't find one, I'll post my info when I get home.

I order bulk amounts for my tech kit and I've never had a problem doing it this way.

The HB TurboBooster that we have for transporting my BF's DD has the screws

Yes, ours has the screws installed.
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I ordered some extra free ones, and was planning to stick them in the floor model at BRU, but someone sold the floor model before I could get around to it! (against policy, as there are like 5 still left in a box that should have been sold first. Argh).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    If you go to the website, you can order up to six screws at a time, per each order. Actually, they may have changed it to four now. Anyway, I just order four (or six, whatever it is) and place four orders in a row.

If you don't have a booster to get a DOM and model number, a quick look at the Graco website can find you a model number, then make up a DOM.

If you can't find one, I'll post my info when I get home.

I order bulk amounts for my tech kit and I've never had a problem doing it this way.
    Thanks Mae That would be awesome, but I can't find a way to order them from the Canadian website - that's why I had to call and request the screws.

Jennifer, CPST in Nova Scotia and mommy to
    DD born Oct. 12, 2006, FF in a Frontier and
    DS born Jan. 7, 2009, RF in a Marathon

Yes, even though it is not in use yet! It is assembled and covered with the plastic bag covering it on the top shelf of the closet.
    If I'm here tell me to get back to writing
    Writing, dreaming, homeschooling mom to Beth, 10-03, and Ciara, 6-06
    http://dreamingatthesouthdam.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jbarro View Post
    Thanks Mae That would be awesome, but I can't find a way to order them from the Canadian website - that's why I had to call and request the screws.
    Ah, I see. I'll look around on the website and see if I can find anything.

I'll PM you, too.