Do most techs now how to install a radian - VENT!

Suzanne74

My MIL has been a PIA about wanting my 15 month old in her car. She takes her other grandkids everywhere (she is basically their babysitter for my SAHM SIL - but that is another vent.)

She has a small pontiac 4 door. I told her there are only a few car seats I would want my LO in but I would be happy to purchase it as long as she it is RFing. My SIL FF'd her 16 mo old at 1 year (another vent for another day) and I didn't want it constantly changing. I have a 10 year old who also needs to fit in the back of the car sometimes. I said the radian would be the best choice IF it fits in the middle.

So off she goes to Babies R Us one day to get a radian. She comes over one day begging to take my 15mo old over to her house for the day. She said the seat is installed. I said what seat? The radian you told me I had to get, to get Megan in the car. UGH - I told her I was going to buy it and then said "a tech already installed it for you?" She said yes, the man at BRU. Is he a carseat tech? She says yes. Uh-huh I thought. So out I go and she is already annoyed at me because I want to check the seat. I am being totally nice and normally we get along really well but I am starting to feel her annoyance.

Well we all know he was not a tech and the seat was so loose, not DFing tethered, and the harness straps were about 2" above her shoulders (I tried her in it, out of curiousity - I have a BLVD.)

So I told her to let me drive Megan to her house which is no problem - it is 10min away. I went in to get my keys and she pushed both front seats back to "tighten" the seat and then got really mad when I still said no.

I didn't budge and I am so mad for having to apologize to her for this. Apologize for my child's safety!

So, I need to find a tech to install this seat and honestly, I am nervous about this. How I can be sure this seat really is installed properly. The blvd was super easy and the tech that checked it only had to slightly change the angle.

I know the radian is a hard install and honestly not even sure if it can install properly in her car. Any pointers on what to do here?

EDIT - I meant to say KNOW not NOW in the title but I can not change it. Woops

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I would wager that most non-CarSeat.org techs do not have experience installing a Radian. :twocents:

ETA: However, the Radian is not always a tough install. You should give it a go yourself first - read your manual thoroughly, try the install, come back here with questions if you don't think it's right.

Mae

What kind of car is it? I have a 4 door 2004 Pontiac Grand Am and I also have three Radians. I know how to work them in that car. ;)

lil.miss32

Tech wise, the techs in my area have never even SEEN one! I got a lecture on the RF'ing tether (how that's a FF'ing tether, you don't use them RF'ing unless it's a Britax) and also about how there's no way possible the seat RF to 45lbs. Although I'm positive they aren't c-s.org techs. They never even took out the seat, or anything.

andre149

Honestly, if you're MIL is "fighting" you to get your daughter in the car and you're this hesitant about it I would just tell her it's something you're not comfortable with. It seems that you can't trust her to get a good install, and the fact that she thought pushing the other seats up against it meant it was better is a big red flag for me. I get that she wants to drive your daughter around, but if she's not going to be safe about it (which judging from the things she did and your hesitance to the situation she's not) I would just tell her no. :twocents:

brittany

i didnt know BRU carried radians. A small 4dr would prob be a sunfire.

Mae I am in awe of you with 3 radians in your grand am, I have an 02 and couldnt fit a CA rf because I am so tall.

GL OP, i would be PO'd

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC