Ideas on keeping the seat tight??

Heamae

I have two girls, 4 and 5.5 years old. Both in Nautilus's and both girls know how to tighten and loosen their straps. We have talked and talked about riding safe and such but they are in the third row and I dont always notice when they do it but next thing I know they have their straps loose on them. I dont know what to do!!! Any ideas???

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
So they're loosening them after you have checked to make sure they're tight?

At their ages this is really more of a discipline issue than a car seat issue.

I would do two things: Reward them (with a sticker, whatever) for keeping their harnesses tightened, and once they have X number of stickers, they get Y. (To watch a movie, go for ice cream, whatever.)

The second thing I would do (actually, I guess it would be the first) is to pull over immediately when I notice their harnesses are loose. The car doesn't move until everyone is buckled in tight.

That would be most effective if done on the way to a fun place. Make sure you give yourself plenty of extra time for the next few trips.

rodentranger

If you have someone strong enough to lift the seat with the child in it, have the child "tighten" the straps to where they seem to prefer it, then have strong adult pick them up and turn the whole seat/child combination upside down over something soft like a couch or mattress. The child will likely hit the harness hard enough to jolt them, but not injure the child.
Then adjust the harness correctly and flip them over again. The child shouldn't move at all. Point out that this is what will happen in an collision, only the collision will be much worse. Explain that the harness is what holds their body in place and protects them and that to do its job properly, it needs to be snug.
This demo was very effective with my almost 4 yo. He doesn't complain about the harness being snug anymore. :whistle:

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
If you have someone strong enough to lift the seat with the child in it, have the child "tighten" the straps to where they seem to prefer it, then have strong adult pick them up and turn the whole seat/child combination upside down over something soft like a couch or mattress. The child will likely hit the harness hard enough to jolt them, but not injure the child.
Then adjust the harness correctly and flip them over again. The child shouldn't move at all. Point out that this is what will happen in an collision, only the collision will be much worse. Explain that the harness is what holds their body in place and protects them and that to do its job properly, it needs to be snug.
This demo was very effective with my almost 4 yo. He doesn't complain about the harness being snug anymore. :whistle:

Thats great!

T4K

This is brilliant and cruel and right up my alley :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC