If you could only tether one seat, which would it be?

glockchick

DS - 33 months, 35 lbs, FFing in Cosco Scenera
DD - 4 yrs 2 months, 38 lbs, FFing in Britax Boulevard

Which one and why?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd probably try to look up compliance testing numbers on untethered seats before making that choice.

No chance of a 40 lbs. RF Scenera from Target for the 3 year old?

Splash

Neither, I'd put the 4 year old in a booster. If it were a lap belt only, I'd buy another seat and leave the lightest child untethered.

Mae

Are they both installed with lap/shoulder belts?

For some reason, I'm remembering that lap/shoulder belts test slightly better (untethered) than an untethered lap only.

Let me find my old thread on it. ETA: Here

I'll look in the LATCH manual for it. :)

ETAA: A small snippet from the LATCH manual (I'm still looking) -- Page 76:

Other options if no suitable TA location is found:

- Use the CR in the rear seat without its tether, if it can be secured tightly with the vehicle seat belt. Place it in a position with a shoulder belt as well as a lap belt, if possible.

- Use a CR with a tall opening for the belt path, so that the shoulder belt will provide additional restraint for the top of the child restraint.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are they both installed with lap/shoulder belts?

For some reason, I'm remembering that lap/shoulder belts test slightly better (untethered) than an untethered lap only.

Let me find my old thread on it. ETA: Here

I'll look in the LATCH manual for it. :)

While that's true for some seats from what I understand (depends on the design of the belt path) if there's only one tether available, there's only one available (and frequently in those situations, the tether is with the lap belt, and the shoulder belt has no tether.)

glockchick

They're both FFing in lap belts only. The other kids need the shoulder belts.

There is nothing in front of the middle 2nd row and the 2nd row seat in front of the 3rd row.

The 4 year old is too tall for a Scenera rear or forward facing, and another seat isn't in the budget right now when we have a seat that will work.

Mae

While that's true for some seats from what I understand (depends on the design of the belt path) if there's only one tether available, there's only one available (and frequently in those situations, the tether is with the lap belt, and the shoulder belt has no tether.)

I know that ... ? I don't think I understand what you are saying. :eek:

I'm aware that she only has one tether anchor to work with, that is why I asked her if she is installing both seats with a lap shoulder belt, or a lap only belt. I also must have been editing my other post while you were posting. I guess it also depends on where the TA is, compared to what seat belt type she is using (which I probably should have mentioned in my other post).

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
any way the gn can be swapped out for the blvd? i notice that kid rides in both...or is it a space issue? Cuz the GN has sweet head excursion numbers untethered.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I know that ... ? I don't think I understand what you are saying. :eek:

I'm aware that she only has one tether anchor to work with, that is why I asked her if she is installing both seats with a lap shoulder belt, or a lap only belt. I also must have been editing my other post while you were posting. I guess it also depends on where the TA is, compared to what seat belt type she is using (which I probably should have mentioned in my other post).

What I was saying is that I don't feel that lap or lap/shoulder is really that important HERE since she only has one anchor and it'll be in a set place. Choosing between lap/shoulder without tether or lap without tether it might make a difference but here, there's one tether. :shrug-shoulders:

Splash

Is this your suburban? Did you opt not to have the tether retrofit? Because last time you brought up this issue, it was mentioned that a retrofit was available but you didn't want to use it.

zeo2ski

In another poster's thread she mentioned she is not able to locate the retrofit. Nobody knows what she's talking about.

Can you put the GN in the 3rd row with your two seat belt kiddos and then tether whatever in the 2nd row? Not sure if those extra seats in your siggy are for another car or what.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Given what I remember of the Britax convertibles' head excursion numbers, my gut instinct is to tether the BV. However, without actually looking at the numbers (including the Scenera), take that with a grain of salt.

glockchick

Is this your suburban? Did you opt not to have the tether retrofit? Because last time you brought up this issue, it was mentioned that a retrofit was available but you didn't want to use it.

Yeah, in the suburban. If I can get the retrofit. I've called around about it but everyone is clueless. :rolleyes:

The kids on either side don't have enough room with the GN. Unless I put the GN in the middle row and the Scenera in the 3rd... That's block CJ's view though and be harder to get his fighting butt in and out.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Do you have the part number? That seems to work like magic when I've referred people for TA retrofits.

My brain is thinking it's not in the LATCH manual for some reason, though, right? It's supposed to be in the vehicle manual or something?

pepsicola

I found this TSB, this should clear up any confusion at the dealership:

http://www.grandprixforums.net/website/Docs/TSB/99-09-40-004A_Child_Restraint_Seats.pdf

(excerpt below)

Subject: Top Tether Hardware Package for Child Restraint Seats

Models: 1989-2002 Passenger Cars, Light Duty Trucks and Multi-Purpose Passenger Vehicles (Except EV1 and Prizm)

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2000-2002 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-09-40-009 (Section 09 - Restraints).Important: GM of Canada and IPC Dealers are not authorized to utilize this service
bulletin.

Beginning in August, 1997 General Motors began providing Child Restraint
Seat Top Tether Hardware Packages to customers in the United States who requested them.

The Top Tether Hardware Package contains the necessary hardware for anchoring a forward facing child restraint seat top tether. One Child Restraint Seat Top Tether Hardware Package will be provided per vehicle to the retail customer at no charge for installation. Charges for installation of
additional Top Tether Hardware Packages per vehicle are the responsibility of the customer.

Most forward facing child restraint seats (CRS) sold in the United States prior to calendar year 1999 were not sold with top tether straps, but have provisions for them. Top tethers, which are required in Canada, can help to better secure the seat in the vehicle. When a forward facing CRS including a top tether is used, specially designed components must be used to secure the child seat top tether. These components are included in the Hardware Package from GMSPO.

If the customer requests installation of a Tether Hardware Package some time after delivery, the package is to be provided free of charge. Hardware Packages include installation instructions which are easily followed and can be installed by most customers. However, should the customer request the dealership's assistance to install the Tether Hardware Package, it is to be installed at no charge to the customer and the labor may be claimed. All claims submitted for installation labor of an approved Tether Hardware Package must be supported by a signed customer work order. Additional Hardware Packages and installation charges are the
responsibility of the customer.

Important: When installing a Child Restraint Seat Top Tether Hardware Package, follow the installation instructions included in the package. Additional information about specific mounting locations and installations may be available in the Seat Belt Section (Sections 9, 10-10, 10-11 or 10A) I of the appropriate Service Manual, or the Restraints section of SI.Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to your Area Manager, Parts
or Service.

Parts Information For Top Tether Hardware Package part numbers and usage, see Group 14.870 (passenger cars & U-van), or Group 16.710 (Light Duty Truck) of the appropriate
GMSPO Parts Catalog. In addition, they can also be found in Accessories Group 21.042.

HTH :)!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC