1 yo pushing down the chest clip

christineka

My baby is 16 months old, rfing in a true fit. She's learned to push her chest clip down. After the several discussions on the non-necessity of chest clips, I'm considering just removing it. Discipline is not going to work. I could go spend money on large harness pads to go under the clip. I'd rather not spend money.

What would you do?

ADS

amyd

I'd let her be. We know chest clips are not crucial safety devises provided the harness is properly tightened and a belly clip isn't going to do the kind of damaged RF as it could FF. I might try the sticky Velcro trick but probably wouldn't put a ton of effort into preventing her moving the clip.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
This confuses me because I was always told that in American seats, the chest clip was crucial to keep the harness in the right place. Then, if an accident occurs, the harness will work properly. So I always thought the chest clip and harness worked together and was necessary?

Chameleon

Yes, really. Do not alter or add anything to the child restraint that did not come with it. You will find that in pretty much every manual you come across.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Discipline is not going to work. I could go spend money on large harness pads to go under the clip. I'd rather not spend money.

Definitely do not put a large harness pad under the clip. I wouldn't do anything but make sure her harness is tight.

Really? This is probably the biggest advice to rectify the chest clip problem given over on bbc.

:confused:

I've never seen that recommended here, and I wouldn't do it.

I agree with Chameleon - I would just make sure her harness is tight and the chest clip is in the correct spot when you buckle her.

christineka

So it is fine if dd pushes the chest clip down to the crotch? It doesn't matter how tight the harness is. She now knows she can and she will. I buckle her up and by the time I'm finished with ds, she's got the clip to her crotch. I move it up, she moves it down.

leighi123

TP tubes and tape maybe? Make sure it doesnt affect the tightness...

Or put a button up shirt on backwards over the harness.

Distraction with other toys and things?

Chameleon

TP tubes and tape maybe? Make sure it doesnt affect the tightness...

Or put a button up shirt on backwards over the harness.

Distraction with other toys and things?

Please don't do either of these ideas. Do not alter or add to the harness in any way at all. I don't even like the button up shirt over the harness idea. It's not good in emergency situations.

aeormsby

I'd probably lean toward taking it off if it's getting pushed down every ride. I would think if it's too low it would widen the straps at the lower point and make it more likely that the straps could slide off her shoulders easier (especially since IIRC the Truefit has wider spaced shoulder slots).

Or maybe mittens to make it harder to push the clip down (not sure how to keep them on a 16mo though).

ETA - how is the backwards shirt any different than having kids put their jacket on backwards? That would seem like a good option also.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
What about a zippered jacket zipped over the harness? I know my 17mo cannot undo zippers yet. Do you have a thin fleece or other jacket she can wear?

leighi123

Please don't do either of these ideas. Do not alter or add to the harness in any way at all. I don't even like the button up shirt over the harness idea. It's not good in emergency situations.

This is what they recommended in my tech class.

I dont see how a button up shirt would be an issue, we recommend 'shower cap' covers for infant seats, carseat ponchos, etc and those are all on top of the harness. In an emergency, they would be cut of if necessary.

christineka

What about a zippered jacket zipped over the harness? I know my 17mo cannot undo zippers yet. Do you have a thin fleece or other jacket she can wear?

Dd has recently discovered zippers. She can take off her pajamas now. She can't do buttons, but she has no button up shirts and I'm not going to buy any.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Dd has recently discovered zippers. She can take off her pajamas now. She can't do buttons, but she has no button up shirts and I'm not going to buy any.

Use one of the bigger kid's button up shirts. or one of yours. Or cut open an old T-shirt and add a few buttons and button holes.

Sit a big kid beside her with instructions to grab her hands every time she touches the clip.

Really, you have to find a way to stop her. It's the principal of the matter, not the safety. She needs to understand that messing with her carseat is just not allowed. Better to practice on an issue that really has no safety aspects, then to practice it when she figures out she can easily pull her arms out of the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC