CPST course...

Baylor

So there is only one and it is in 2 weeks.. also there is only 1 seat and it is controlled. The issue is that I need child care to take it. And I don't know If I will have it as my mom is going away during that time.

That is the last class in PA. I assume after the new year there may be more? Do I have to take the class in PA? Could I find one in NJ? Or is it a state by state Cert?

Thanks!

ADS

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
The certification is national, so you can take it in any state. In your shoes I would probably wait for the new year and just keep my eye on the site to see what's upcoming so you have time to arrange childcare.

The controlled course just means you need the instructors permission to register for the course, so you'd need to email them to ask. Most instructors are happy to have private citizens join, and some will even waive local fees if they know you're paying out of pocket. Don't count on that, though, it's just a nice bonus when it's possible.

NebraskaMom

You can take the class in any state.

Yes there will be more classes in the future, do not rearrange your entire life to take this one class with only one seat left.

The classes vary from what I've seen. I actually waited 3 years to take my class since all the classes offered in my state were either several hours away or didn't work with my schedule. I just checked the website once every month or so and when one popped up that I knew I could make without a problem, I jumped on it.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Usually there's a lull in the winter as doing seats in a blizzard sucks, and then there's usually a lull in the super hot summer months. At least that's what I've seen here in the Northeast when I was looking for classes. Wait until February/March and you'll start seeing more posted.

I live in CT and took my course over the state line in NY. The only real drawback to that is if it's far enough that you won't want to do checks there with whoever ran the class, you might not have any contacts locally so you'll have to do your own legwork. :twocents:

urchin_grey

Yeah, I would wait until Spring. But don't wait for summer if you can help it. I took my class in July (in LA, no less) and I was red as a beet after. :eek:

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Wow! I'm taking that class, and yesterday when I got my confirmation email that I was accepted into the course, there were 8 seats.

What does it mean that it's controlled?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC