Check out the beauty I found at the op shop today!

Joddle

Safe N Sound Series 3 car seat (AU).
Manufactured 1985!!!!
Mouldy straps, rusty buckles, old fashioned tether, and do-it-yourself chest clip!!!
So glad I found it before anyone else did.
I'm going to have some fun installing it in my car, then I will cut the straps and graffiti "expired" all over it!

Last edited:
ADS

Joddle

Nope! That's one of the cover options it came with until about 1990. Mine had funky hippy fabric in 1991 :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Most countries do not use chest clips. US and Canada are basically the only that do.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd love to see a picture of the tether hook, isn't it like a keyhole? I seem to remember learning some new swear words when trying to install one of those in a 1975 Volvo wagon back in 1987 :eek:

Joddle

Can you take a profile pic?? Like of the side?
See below :)

Sweet. What's up with the chest clip...? Did it come that way or did someone jimmy-rig it?
Someone has made a do-it-yourself one! We don't have them here in AU.

I'd love to see a picture of the tether hook, isn't it like a keyhole?
Yes, it is a key hole! You can see it in the picture of the back of the seat.

And here are the pics :)

Last edited:

TerisBoys

So if that was the tether "hook" - how did it attach to the car?

I'm quite intrigued - this seat predates my mental database.

Joddle

HMMMM! GM Love Seat?
Yep! That's what I thought after looking at the pictorial. It was getting the highest safety ratings right up till about 2005, but Safe N Sound (Britax) discontinued it because it was cheaper and more popular that the new "stylish" ones (and they wanted people to spend more money :p)

Joddle

It was very safe for it's time. Doesn't look very comfy though?
People still use them here, as the ones for sale just before the discontinuation have about 5 years of life left in them! And no, they don't look comfy at all! I can imagine the seat digging into the thighs as the seat is so short.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC