Not sure I like my Parkway SG

Jenny

Looking for some info regarding some of my feelings on the parkway sg.
My 5.5 yo just over 40 lb. son sits in this in g-ma's car (drives him home from school each day).

THe SG makes me nervous for the following reasons:
1) without it the belt would sit on his belly
2) since they want the clip to lie flat on his legs it sits against his abdomen -- so g-d forbid in a crash, that clip would be thrust into his abdomen which I feel could cause internal injuries, especially to his bladder. at best, he would be seriously bruised.
3) True Side Impact or False -- the headrest and side wings seem awfully short, esp. when compared to a monterey, probooster or vivo.

I think what bothers me the most is the SG clip and the fact that the headrests seem to be too open, unlike the older PW.

Okay ladies, give me your opinions! thanks in advance, Jen

ADS

NVMBR02

Well, here is my take.

1. I can't comment on the belt fit for your son since I can't see how the belt fits him. All children are built differently and carseats are not one size fits all. I can say I like the belt fit on my two older children in my vehicles. I have not tried them in other vehicles so I don't know how the belt would fit them in that situation.

2. I don't feel the SG clip is a safety hazard, at no more than a crotch buckle would be. It is low enough that it is not hitting either of my children in the soft part of their abdomen which would be my concern.

3. I am happy with the headwings on the Parkway SG. No, they are not as confining as the OS Parkway, the Monterey or the Recaro boosters, but I do feel they would provide adequate protection in a crash. In any case my children do not like the headwings that restrict their view and they prefer the openness of the Parkway Sg and the turbobooster.

Anyway, those are my opinions. If you are not happy with the seat there are certainly many others out there that are a good choice.

Jenny

Thanks for the reply, I am considering replacing it. My mother of course thinks I am insane! I have been thinking about this a lot, and finally decided to throw my concerns out here to this community.

THe belt placement on him is good with the clip. I have heard a lot of britax bashing recently (I am mostly a lurker) so that kept me thinking as well.

I just wonder if the PW SG passed crash testing because there is no sensor at the area in which that SG clip hits. IMO a car seat buckle sits over the abdomen with a bit more surface area and the harness webbing to distribute crash forces but the SG clip is perpendicular to the abdomen if that makes sense to you.

I did search to see if this was a previously mentioned issue and found nothing. Opinions of all types are welcomed; am looking to see some rationales that might help me come to peace with this either way!
mommy22: YOur input is very helpful -- good to hear a CPS evaluates the booster positively!
Thanks again, Jenny

Last edited:

Chameleon

1. Pictures would help a lot to see the fit. Seats will fit kids differently and that is why we recommend trying out various ones to find the best fit. I can say that the belt fits my 5 year old DS (who is 45lbs give or take) just fine with or without the SG.

2. The clip is not going to be a concern in a crash anymore than a crotch buckle will like PP said. However, do make sure you have it adjusted to the correct height for your DS.

3. True Side Impact is just Britax's brand name, some of the other manufacturers have labeled their "side impact protection" as well. I can't recall off hand at the moment. There is nothing official in that regard. As far as the head wings go, I think they are fine as far as headwings go. They provide protection for the head and that's what we want. The torso wings as well provide protection from intrusion.

Last edited:

NVMBR02

I have found that different buckles fit very differently. For instance, a Britax convertible tends to have a very low buckle yet the old evenflo triumph buckles were much higher, almost mid stomach.

FWIW, Britax bashing comes and goes (as does bashing of other companies). Most of the Britax bashing stems from fact that Britax has been slow to make changes and thier price tag is higher than most of the competition.

luckyclov

I actually like the headwings on the SG and think they'd provide better protection for *my* child in an accident because when it's in use (which is very, very rare...because my big kids are squished in it), there's a lot less peeking heads out and about. The old style PW headwings were so freakin' ginormous, my DS constantly had his head out of position.

I actually had to get use to my parkway sg, but now I love it, The belt fit was great but the low little arm rests were awkward, and the head rest was so big.
But now we are happy with it, we got used to it, and Julianna loves it.

Also by the time she is ready for a low back booster this should be a great fit on Fiona (she is skinny so the arm rests will be better on her I think)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC