Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Higher weight limit combination seats? And another update post #4

OK... I only have one babe, and he's too little for a combination seat yet But, the leader of our breastfeeding group has really been listening to all I've been saying about the benefits of higher harnessed weights. Her daughter is currently in a 3 in 1 seat, and because she's now 40 pounds they are switching it to a booster, but I guess height is an issue.

So they want a new seat. She looked at the Radian, but doesn't really want to buy the seat for the use it will get her (she would in a heartbeat if it went to 65 pounds). She asked about boosters and I suggested the Parkway because she specifically asked about Britax or Sunshine Kids (because I'm always raving about the Marathon and Radian).

Now I'm thinking... would a Generations or CarGo or another combination seat (I don't know all the ones available here) be better for her? Which have the tallest slots and make the best booster. I'm looking for something that will harness her daughter for the extra 7 or 8 pounds, but then switch to a good booster until she's ready for a seatbelt.

I don't have height on the girl, but she's 5 and 40 pounds.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by triscuitsmom; 04-11-2007 at 04:35 PM.
    Alison
    Tobias... 7y2m; 51lbs; harnessed and Linus... 4y9m; 35lbs; harnessed and Malachi 3y1m; 34lbs; rearfacing
    TTC another rearfacer

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Higher weight limit combination seats?

The generation/bolero make a better booster but the cargo has higher harness straps The generations has a 16.5" top slot where the cargo is 17" (common measurements)

For cost effectiveness, the bolero is at our Walmart for $120 as opposed to the cargo that is $159-$169 @ Sears (if you searched you might be able to find one on sale)

Moderator - CPST Instructor

And the Parkway has the highest seatbelt guide and seatback when compared with other dedicated boosters.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Carseat Crazy

OK... well I don't think price is a huge factor, as long as it will be the last seat she'll need.

Which one would you recommend? (Or will that depend on her height)
    Alison
    Tobias... 7y2m; 51lbs; harnessed and Linus... 4y9m; 35lbs; harnessed and Malachi 3y1m; 34lbs; rearfacing
    TTC another rearfacer

Does her child still fit in his current seat? There *may* be news from Transport Canada regarding higher forward-facing weight limits by the end of May 2007. The new forward-facing weight limit will be 65lbs which might open up some new options as far as seats go.
    Jacqui ~ Rylan ~ 08.13.02 ~ 57.2lbs on 9/26/08 ~ Radian 65
    Join Starlight's Book Club, read your manuals! Car seats are cheaper than caskets & you can use them more than once. How much did your wedding cost? How long did it last? Does your child's safety seem more affordable now?

What about the cosco Apex? It harness to 48lbs, has pretty much the same top harness slot as the generations and cargo plus it makes a decent booster. The only thing about it though is you have to have headrests in your vehicle to use with the seat.