Do You *Feel* Like the Scenera is Safe?

cat mommy

I know it's safe. I know it passed the same testing as other seats. But, for some reason I just don't feel the seat is as safe as one with EPS foam. But, I also think I'm being silly. :rolleyes: Just wondering what other people think about the Scenera?

PS: We have Britaxes for ease of use features, not because Britaxes are "the safest."

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My child is 8.5yo and 63#, so the point is moot, but I would have no problem putting her in one if she needed it and fit in it.

(What if the bendy Dorel plastic actually did a better job of absorbing crash forces and transferring them away from the child than the steel-reinforced rigid seats? It might. We don't know. I don't see bendiness as a problem, though.)

urchin_grey

I guess I feel the same as you. The other day when I had to choose a seat to put outboard in my sister's older car (a '95 Crown Vic), I chose our True Fit over the Scenera or even the Radian. He's just SO small, I wanted him to have as much protection on the side as possible considering the side impact ratings on that car are probably pretty shoddy. (Plus she doesn't have locking belts so the lock offs on the TF were a plus in that situation!)

I could be completely wrong about it though... but that's just what my gut tells me.

autumnlily

Yes. But I too have a mental block from the idea that it is just as safe as a seat with foam. HOWEVER, I 100% would use the Scenera rear facing before putting them forward facing in any seat with foam.

But, I get wanting a stronger seat with foam ...

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Yes. But I too have a mental block from the idea that it is just as safe as a seat with foam. HOWEVER, I 100% would use the Scenera rear facing before putting them forward facing in any seat with foam.

But, I get wanting a stronger seat with foam ...

Ditto!!!

My youngest is in one in the baby sitters car RFing, we'd still have one in dh's car as a back up if it installed well in his car but it doesn't. As a main seat I do prefer something with more foam, but I have no issues with the Scenera

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
YES, absolutlely feel it is safe. I would pick another seat over it due to comfort but for the price, it's GREAT! I used to have one but got the Avenues when Kmart closed them out at $17.99 so I got rid of my Scenera but I used it all the time until then.

scoutingbear

Absolutely. It is not my first choice for a main seat if I can afford something else because it is bare bones and doesn't seem as comfy, but the kids have never complained! It is our seat at my parents house for M and she rides in it quite well.

urchin_grey

(What if the bendy Dorel plastic actually did a better job of absorbing crash forces and transferring them away from the child than the steel-reinforced rigid seats? It might. We don't know. I don't see bendiness as a problem, though.)

That's exactly what the other part of me is saying! And if the point of impact were away from the seat, then that is likely even true (in my head at least LOL). But then I get images in my head of an SUV or something smashing right through that crappy thin door and crushing his seat. :eek: And my sister is not the best driver either...

So yeah, if I were putting the seat in my van (particularly in the center), I would not think twice about it. The Scenera was even his primary seat until we got the TFP so I'm not afraid of the seat or anything... Mostly just afraid of my sister's car. :whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I totally do, considering it performed perfectly and saved my child from injury in a crash when she was very little. :thumbsup: It was her primary seat for almost 2 years. And I agree that the bendy plastic might do really well as an energy diffuser. It's one of the most popular seats on the market (because it's cheap...) and we're not hearing reports of massive amounts of kids having seats fail in crashes; you KNOW these are in a lot of crashes!

Twinklefae

YES, absolutlely feel it is safe. I would pick another seat over it due to comfort but for the price, it's GREAT! I used to have one but got the Avenues when Kmart closed them out at $17.99 so I got rid of my Scenera but I used it all the time until then.

We had a Scenera for most of DS's first year, and it was great for everything except comfort. He would WAIL the last hour of any long trip. So we bought the True Fit when it came out A) to rear face longer and B) for more comfort features.

I still loved it though and used if for one of my daycare girls til this summer when I traded it to someone I know who had an illegal (underweight) FF'er.

Holly

Yes, I definitely feel it's safe.
We used one as a main seat for about 13 months. I replaced it with a FPSVD only because I was able to get one new for $40 including shipping, and since it was so cheap, I wanted to put dd2 in a seat that had the EPS foam and comfort foam, for comfort reasons.

We've used the seat as a spare several times, RF and FF and I've always been 100% comfortable with it, safety wise.

I prefer to use a seat with more features for the comfort factor, and easier to install RF. My radians I pretty much have to have in order to fit all 3 of my kids in my car.
I ended up giving my scenera to a friend who had a seat that was about to expire.
I'd use one again in a heartbeat if I needed to though, even as a full time seat.

cpsaddict

Yes, I do. Used correctly, I believe it will do a find job of protecting DD. I use it on and off whenever we need a seat for DD or my nephews. Comfort and ease of use leave something to be desired and that's why it's not our main seat, but safety-wise, I have no issues with it.

babyherder

I feel like I'm not doing the best I can if I put a kid in a seat without EPS foam. The foam just makes sense. I know that the scenera is safe so I would use it if I needed to. I can't let my hang ups stop me from using a perfectly safe seat.

Mommy2Marcus

Yes, I feel it is a perfectly safe seat to use. I used one with my own son for about a year. I also used one several times after that. I put my son in one on the way to buy a new seat when his main seat wa crashed. The main reason I prefer a different seat is b/c we take long drives at times & I prefer more padding.

However were it all I could afford & my son fit, then that is what I use.

andre149

I absolutely feel it's safe, and used one as a secondary seat for quite a while. I wouldn't use it as a primary seat if I could afford something different only because of the comfort factor... but if I couldn't get anything different or chose to use the scenera because of install etc I would feel perfectly safe using it :)

jsmom

I am not comfortable putting DD in a Scenera, but I also have issues with all Dorel and Evenflo seats. I know they are safe when used correctly I just am not comfortable using them with my daughter.

karlatta

I feel like they're perfectly fine. I don't use one on a regular basis because of comfort and ease of installation issues. But safety-wise? I'm a-okay with them.

glockchick

Yes, I feel it's safe, but I also feel other seats are safer. That said, my son rides in one in the center of my Suburban because I don't have the fundage for another seat for him. The suburban is used least and he's in the most protected position in it so that's why I chose to put it in that vehicle. He's in a MA and FR in my other vehicles.

DahliaRW

Yup. Ds2 (for another 1/8" of torso growth) rides in one in the in-laws car. Ds1 rode in it too. Dd will as well.

pepsicola

This has been my train of thought as well. Compared to my Britax shell, the Scenera seems very thin and is much more flexible. I think the Scenera has more give to it. I imagine that epp foam would be required if the shell was stiffer.

Now for the original question, I go back and forth. When she hits the 35lb limit of her Britax I will turn her although I sometimes think about buying a 40lb Scenera. So yes, I feel it is a safe option. Not my first pick but definitely wouldn't worry about my kid riding in one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC