LBB vs HBB

Baylor

I looked around and found some older threads.. but They did not help and I didn't want to bump them..

So I am looking for an emergency booster for DH's car. It can not be in the seat all the time because they are folded down for work. But if he needs to get my son.. I need him to have a seat for him.

When I looked around, I am not sure if he would be okay at this age or size in a LBB? And I also found a thread saying that the booster arms act as protection for their hips? So I should look at more of a LBB that I can have arm rests with??

Thanks!

ADS

MomToEliEm

A no-back booster is a safe option for a 6.5 year old, provided there is adaquate vehicle head support behind the child. A high back booster has some safety benefits (especially for side-impact crashes), but the studies just don't seem to indicate a great deal of difference in safety. My kids have ridden in no-back booster starting at age 6 for occasional trips. I prefer a high-back booster for their main vehicle, but don't feel bad when they use a no-back booster.

When looking at boosters, make sure that the lap belt portion is held down low so it doesn't though the abdomen. Some boosters do a great job at this, while others don't. The only way for you to know how it works with your own child is to try it out. Here is a good site discussing how boosters are suppose to fit a child:
http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think there are any backless boosters sold in the US that don't have arm rests.

As for backless vs. high-back, we recommend high-backs for smaller children, although I don't really understand why. There have been studies showing no difference in safety/outcomes between backless and high-backs.

It used to be that high-backs were recommend for OLDER kid's because they provided head support in vehicles without headsets.

Anyway, for full-time use, I prefer a high-back because it seems more comfortable for the kid (especially one who sleeps).

For occasional/emergency use, I'd consider a backless to be just fine.

Baylor

Thanks so much! That was just what I was looking for. I want to purchase two. .one for my mom's car and one for my dh's car.

THe graco lbb in walmart.. looked like the nautilus bottom. The harmony ones have arm rests but not much..

Thanks so much!!

christineka

THe graco lbb in walmart.. looked like the nautilus bottom. The harmony ones have arm rests but not much..

Thanks so much!!

The arm rests just keep the belt in place. The harmony lightrider has "belt guides" more than "arm rests". The size of the belt guides doesn't matter- just that the belt is kept in place. The literider positions the belt nicely on most kids.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I am very conservative in this and prefer to see children in highback boosters as primary seats until age 9ish or so, although I recognize that the evidence is not conclusive (I've seen some for both sides, but tend to discount a lot of it because there's no differentiation between an AOE in booster mode and a good dedicated booster. I'd rather see a 5yo in a Literider than a highbacked AOE, but I'd *really* rather see that 5yo in a highbacked Turbo.)

My biggest concern about young kids in backlesses in "emergencies" is that if they're used to riding harnessed, going from a harness to a backless is just too big a jump and they aren't used to that much freedom.

The size of the armrests doesn't matter, as long as the belt stays in them. The Literider holds the belts nicely.

HayleyCPST

There is an older study saying that a HBB is 70% safer in side impact collisions. Other then that, we don't really have any data regarding HBB's vs backless. ETA: I'm indifferent on this and also conservative like Chicabiddy.

I would prefer to use a HBB for any child that meets the requirements in one for full time use. For emergencies, a backless is fine. If it's used properly-great! If he's in the center with a lap/shoulder-even better!

In the other thread about boosters for your son, we suggested the turbobooster and the Pathway 570. Have you narrowed down your choices?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This study came out in 2005... http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php
"The risk reduction provided by booster seats in side-impact crashes varied by booster seat type: 4-to 8-year-olds riding in high back booster seats were at a 70 percent reduction in injury risk, while those in backless boosters did not experience a statistically significant risk reduction as compared with seat belts alone."

And this came out in 2009...
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20091019/car-booster-seats-cut-injury-risk-for-kids

"Booster seats with and without backs provided similar risk for injury."

And yes, the people who did this second study were perplexed and amazed...they really thought the highbacks would do more good. Though I agree with Chickabiddy, there's just GOT to be some factor like the quality of the highback having something to do with injury reduction...those flat sided combo seats (Cosco High Back Booster, Century Breverra, Alpha Omega, Evenflo Chase) just can't possibly be as protective as a good Turbo or Parkway... or perhaps the huge misuse rate of boosters has something to do with it, too. http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...18bc75874037f6eb84021f654fe3ce47&searchtype=a

"At least one seat belt misuse was observed for 64.8% of the children transported. Common misuses were the shoulder belt being placed over the booster seat armrest (35.8%); shoulder belt not at mid-shoulder position (28.5%), seat belt was too loose (24.5%), and the shoulder belt was either behind the child's back (9.1%) or under their arm (10.0%)."

So, um, yeah, for a 6 yo, I'd really, really prefer them to be in a highback, like the B570 (for foldability) or the Turbo (low cost).

Baylor

Thanks so much for the studies and further comment. I know this sounds like overkill but I am sure some of you will understand.

I want to make sure that there is a booster in my mom's car and dh's car in the event of an emergency. I want to get something that will be inobtrusive so they will not take it out of the car and it will ALWAYS be there.

Someone mentioned watching for deals and sales to get another Nautilus cheaper. That is my goal for a spare seat. That way it will be good for either son, But I don't ever want to have to worry about someone picking my son up from school and not having anything for him to ride in. KWIM?

TerisBoys

For what you want it for, a backless is fine. You'll want to make some practice trips with DS in it to make sure he understands how to sit, and how the belt should look/feel.

My mother always keeps a backless for my youngest in her car - even though he hasn't ridden with her without me in over 2 years. It lives on the floor of her third row, which is usually folded forward. My health is such that she COULD have to pick him up from me with little notice - and I feel better knowing that she has that seat for him and I wouldn't have to worry about someone remembering to grab his Vivo from my van.

I do like the look of the Literider from Walmart. I need to check the DOM for the booster she has now, and may replace it with one.

NannyMom

Thanks so much for the studies and further comment. I know this sounds like overkill but I am sure some of you will understand.

I want to make sure that there is a booster in my mom's car and dh's car in the event of an emergency. I want to get something that will be inobtrusive so they will not take it out of the car and it will ALWAYS be there.

Someone mentioned watching for deals and sales to get another Nautilus cheaper. That is my goal for a spare seat. That way it will be good for either son, But I don't ever want to have to worry about someone picking my son up from school and not having anything for him to ride in. KWIM?

DS1 is riding in his Nautilus in booster mode now, right? If so, why not put that in Grandma's car for them to share, and buy DS1 a dedicated high back booster for your car?

monstah

DS1 is riding in his Nautilus in booster mode now, right? If so, why not put that in Grandma's car for them to share, and buy DS1 a dedicated high back booster for your car?

Her DS1 is using the GN harnessed. Baylor, if you want something unobtrusive that will live in their car "just in case", I suggest the $13.50 Harmony from Walmart. I keep one in the rear storage compartment in case of emergency for my 5 year old or if I unexpectedly get a boosterless guest in my car. ;)

ETA: Wanted to clarify the LBB is for emergencies only and if I needed something that was going to actually be used, I'd pick a high back. ;)

Last edited:

Baylor

Her DS1 is using the GN harnessed. Baylor, if you want something unobtrusive that will live in their car "just in case", I suggest the $13.50 Harmony from Walmart. I keep one in the rear storage compartment in case of emergency for my 5 year old or if I unexpectedly get a boosterless guest in my car. ;)

ETA: Wanted to clarify the LBB is for emergencies only and if I needed something that was going to actually be used, I'd pick a high back. ;)

I was looking at them. That is what I picked up for my Aunts grandchildren. Thanks. It is just for emergencies.. if I can plan I will move my seats or give my mom my car.

Ds 1 has been riding in the Nautilus in Booster mode since the weekend. I took his seat apart to clean the padding and he wanted to try it. So since we are not really going any where we are trying it. It ain't easy for me but I am dealing. I know he needs to get there eventually. I am going to put the harness back in tomorrow. As long as he fits, I would rather him be harnessed.

@Teri'sBoys.. I really want the Nautilus to remain in my car. Even as a booster I feel he is safer in that now that I moved him to the outboard behind the driver in the back row. I don't have center shoulder belts they are lap only.

I almost bought a Frontier the other day but Diapers.com came to their senses before I had a chance too.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC