Climbing out of carseat prevention

JMacSanDiego

Hi, I'm sure this has probably been discussed already on here. However I'm fairly new, so I'm not sure. Anyhow, I was wondering if there are any devices that are sold which can help prevent kids from climbing out of carseats? My son does not try this yet, but I'm afraid that one day he will. I once knew a 3 year old who would slide the chest clip all the way down. Then he would take the straps off of his shoulders, and push himself up out of the carseat while the car was moving. His grandmother would have to pull over repeatedly and buckle him back in, and then he'd get out again very quickly. It got to the point where I (or someone else) would sit in the back and wrap my hand and fingers around the straps (just under the clip) so he could not push it down. He'd get mad at me, and cry and hit my hand. But it was the only way we could figure out how to keep him from climbing out of his seat. Does anyone else have any tricks? Is there something that is sold in stores that can help? Thanks.

ADS

babyherder

Grandma did everything right in the situation you mentioned. Another idea might have been to put sticky velcro, rough side up, on the chest clip. Some kids don't like the way it feels so they won't touch the clip. Otherwise, with a 3 year old you pull over every time and correct. Or have someone sit in the back and make sure he stays buckled. Maybe try the pulling over while on the way to something fun so kiddo is motivated to want to stay buckled. :thumbsup: to Grandma and you for making sure he stayed buckled even though it wasn't fun.

I'm mean and actually tighten the harness if older kids try to get out and won't stop after reminders. Not enough to hurt them but enough that they don't like it and they stop trying to escape.

JMacSanDiego

Thank you. Yeah his grandma would get so fed up with him repeatedly climbing out, that she'd pull over and get out of the car. She's go in the back seat, pull his pants down and smack him on the butt. Then she'd buckle him back in, and within 3 minutes he was doing the same thing. So she got to the point where if she could find someone (his mother, uncle or grandfather or me) to sit back there to stop him from climbing out, she would. The little boy's mother was/is a friend of mine. He was about 2 or 3 years old at the time. Now he's 19. I have known him (and them) since he was 10 months old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Another option is to have him wear a button down vest, shirt, sweater, etc., and leave it open. Buckle him in, but pull the sweater out from behind him so that it can be buttoned over the harness.

Like these last three pictures. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2.2211036.199108530&pid=36687147&id=199108530

Spanking obviously didn't help him. Maybe rewarding for not doing the behavior is the way to go. Or promising a really fun event if he can not do it, and be prepared to turn around and come home. It's a discipline problem, though, not a carseat design one.

Wendy

JMacSanDiego

Thank you. As far as I know, she only spanked him once when he did it when they were on the freeway. However if my son ever does try this stunt, I'll try and remember what you said, and the link you posted to the picture.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC