Question Help! What's the Best Way To Arrange 2 Car Seats (one RF, one FF)?

msuarez919

I have an older car (a 1998 Honda Accord) which has no rear side airbags and have the car seats installed next to the doors. This worries me to no end. Is there a better way to set up the car seats (especially for my FF 4 year old) that might be safer?

Here's my info:

10 month old RF in a Britax Advocate 70 CS (it will be here on Wed! :D)
4 year old FF in a Britax MA

seat belt install (no latch in my older car)

no tethers (I'm thinking about taking it to my local Honda dealership to see if they could retro fit one)

pretty spacious backseat

Might it be safer to have the FF 4 year old in the middle of the backseat? Since RF 10 month old is going to have the extra side impact protection (the Advocate 70 CS) and she's RF, she would be safer on the side, right? I think I would have enough room for them to be next to each other as well. Does any of this make sense safety wise or am I crazy? :confused:

ADS

rachelandtyke

Yes, that makes sense. It is recommended to put the least protected child in the most protected spot, so that would mean the ff in the center and the rf outboard. You have a little more flexibility in doing so with the seatbelt install as the spaces aren't as fixed as with LATCH.

I would definitely look into retrofitting tethers in your car. Some companies will do it for free, you just have to pay the cost of the parts, IIRC. The techs on here would have more info on that. Having the top tethers decreases the amount of head excursion (the distance forward that the head moves) in the case of a collision.

If for some reason the seats next to each other don't work out, overall, the rf is more protected than the ff, even in a side impact iirc, so you could consider putting the rf in the MA and the ff in the Advocate.

msuarez919

Yes, that makes sense. It is recommended to put the least protected child in the most protected spot, so that would mean the ff in the center and the rf outboard. You have a little more flexibility in doing so with the seatbelt install as the spaces aren't as fixed as with LATCH.

I would definitely look into retrofitting tethers in your car. Some companies will do it for free, you just have to pay the cost of the parts, IIRC. The techs on here would have more info on that. Having the top tethers decreases the amount of head excursion (the distance forward that the head moves) in the case of a collision.

If for some reason the seats next to each other don't work out, overall, the rf is more protected than the ff, even in a side impact iirc, so you could consider putting the rf in the MA and the ff in the Advocate.

Thanks! I'll start the rearranging when I get the Advocate on Wed. :thumbsup:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Be aware that although the FFer in the center, with the RFer outboard, is the ideal situation, the Advocate is a VERY wide seat and they may not fit that way. If they do not, each child outboard is also acceptable. Just retrofit the anchors (with the info Mae provided) and tether the FFer. :)

jjordan

One more thing, didn't notice if anyone else mentioned this - if you do get the seats installed side-by-side, make sure they are independently tight. So, not only do they feel tight when they're both in there, but one still feels tight if you remove the other. To do this install one tight, then install #2, and then remove #1 and make sure #2 is still tight.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC