Graco Nautilus testing..

Baylor

I bumped a thread to try and see if I could get some more answers but it is now locked.

I am wondering if anyone has a link to how the GN performs in a crash. Not just SIP but over all.

Thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The reason that it was locked it because at least one of the models was obsolete due to it being a 2 year old thread.

There is no reliable frontal crash testing that can compare the performance of one child safety seat to another in the USA or Canada. The pass/fail tests for standards and research tests done by NHTSA or TC are very limited in the conclusions that can be drawn from them. As I said in the locked thread, there is no comparative data at all for side impacts because there is no standard and all such testing is proprietary and could not be compared to any one else's testing even if it was made public.

Baylor

The reason that it was locked it because at least one of the models was obsolete due to it being a 2 year old thread.

There is no reliable frontal crash testing that can compare the performance of one child safety seat to another in the USA or Canada. The pass/fail tests for standards and research tests done by NHTSA or TC are very limited in the conclusions that can be drawn from them. As I said in the locked thread, there is no comparative data at all for side impacts because there is no standard and all such testing is proprietary and could not be compared to any one else's testing even if it was made public.

I think I understand.. You are saying that there is no data for how a particular seat tests in any type of crash? That is just general results?

What confuses me is that there is a lot of information here about how the Britax seats did not test well in Canadian testing..

I thought there must be some testing results available for the seat I chose.

Thanks.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you would think there should be results a consumer could use to compare the safety of one model to another, but there just isn't yet. Someday the government will properly fund and address this issue, as they have for new vehicles, but that could be some time away given the state of funding child passenger safety initiatives as it is.

There is information on the testing used to see if seats pass the 213 standard. But, it is limited to this purpose and provides no proven way to compare seats. That's why it is tucked away in the NHTSA website and not used for a "5-star" rating type system or otherwise advertised in any way.

There is also research testing, but it is just that- research. The results may be used some day to improve current methods, improve standards or maybe even to develop a rating system. But for now, they simply aren't adequate to compare seats and even the text that accompanies such testing states as much.

What you are left with is Consumer Reports, though they have had their issues in the past as well.

All three topics are pretty thoroughly covered in the archives here.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That was non standard testing. I don't think we know how the dummies fared in that test, just that the head excursion numbers were higher than expected.

If I dropped the Marathon, or any seat, off of the Space Needle, how it reacts at the bottom is not a fair comparison to standardized testing.

Wendy

Baylor

Okay.. Thanks.. I think I get it. I am not interested in comparisons.. Just was curious how my seat tested.

I did go to a seat comparsion site but it was more like.. ease of use, installation and features thing.. not safety crash tests.

Thanks for the replies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC