When are you going to let him sit without a carseat?!

Adib

Yeah, I get it. My son will be 9 in December, and he's in a Britax Regent. He fits just fine, though I do need to weigh him soon. No way that he's over 65 pounds, though.

He isn't complaining at all. I know he looks forward to the day when he can sit with nothing, but he knows that he's not old enough yet and that it's safer to be where he is. He remembers our rollover accident, and his Marathon kept him safe, along with his sisters (in Marathon and Companion seats).

I suppose I am in the minority, though, huh? Maybe even here? I know he could use a booster, but his Regent hasn't expired (he's had it since the rollover), so he's still in it! :)

*should clarify: I am hearing this from family/friends. Not my son. His neighbor friend has always marveled that he had a baby car seat, because she has been able to ride in the front seat of their car for years.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Does the harness come out at or over his shoulders? I can't picture a 9-year-old fitting in the Regent by height, but maybe that's because my kid is tall and all torso.

There's nothing wrong with a 9-year-old in a booster, but probably nothing wrong with keeping him harnessed, either. If he's asking to move to a booster, I'd certainly take his opinion into consideration at that age, but that's your decision to make as a parent.

As for when he can sit with nothing: Not until he fits properly without anything else. Lap belt low on the thighs, shoulder belt across the middle of the shoulder, butt all the way back in the seat, and knees bending at the edge of the seat.

Adib

Yeah, my kids are petite. The straps are definitely above his shoulders. :)

ETA: The 2 older ones do have boosters for my husband's truck.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My dd is just now graduating from her Husky (precursor to the Regent) at age 10 (and 4 months). She still fits in it, or I'd have her keep using it up until it expired, but I had an opportunity to get a good deal on a ProBooster, so we're waiting for that to come in. :)

Adib

That makes me feel better! I will have to look into what my daughter can use when her Regent expires. She's a pretty tiny 7-year-old.

Qarin

FWIW, my daughter turned 9 today, and chooses to remain harnessed in her Graco Nautilus. She'd have a mile of growing room in a Regent!

I want to reassure you, though, that he would be safe in a booster, as will your 7yo daughter whenever you and she are ready.

Morganthe

You lucky people and your short-torsoed kids...

DD's tall, but she's short torsoed. I'm wallowing in the pleasure of it. :D :p
Especially since dd outgrew every rfing and most other ff carseats just as HWH were beginning to hit the market. Regent and Radians were my only practical choice when she was 3.5 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if her pre-enhanced Regent fits her until she turns 9. (It will be hitting expiration only a few months afterwards).

urchin_grey

Ha, I'm already getting "he's still in a carseat?" and he's 5yo and 25lbs. :rolleyes: Usually its people that are pleasantly surprised rather than unapproving but it still makes me want to say "what kind of parent do you think I am??" :whistle:

Baylor

Ha, I'm already getting "he's still in a carseat?" and he's 5yo and 25lbs. :rolleyes: Usually its people that are pleasantly surprised rather than unapproving but it still makes me want to say "what kind of parent do you think I am??" :whistle:

People are nuts.. I get that with my older son.. I am not sure why people feel the need to want to make kids less safe...

MommyBoha

DS is 7 and if he was still in his regent, it would expire before he outgrew it. He was on the 3rd harness slot. He asked for a booster though, and Im ok with that(i think..) He is in a ProBooster now and my almost 5 year old is in the regent(2nd harness slot) and it WILL expire before she's done with it(as she is 34lbs)
He also has tons of growing room in the GN as well.

urchin_grey

Oh geez, I just realized I said unapproving (is that even a word?) instead of disapproving. I blame it on waking up at 4:30am. :whistle:

Adib

Oh yes, I'll be totally comfortable with him going into a booster (and you bet I'll be back here asking for help!), it's just that it's not expired and he fits, so he's going to use it! :) I do love that he has never been upset about it, and part of that may be that they are homeschooled and aren't seeing what a lot of kids their age are riding in. Their close homeschool friends are all in boosters or car seats until they are actually ready to be out of them, so that's good. :)

Kat_Momof3

I've seen kids that are petite (not MY kids of course... my oldest is a giant) fit in the Regent until 12 even...

if he's comfortable, no reason to move him. If he were asking for a booster, I'd encourage you to listen to him because he's 9 and old enough and mature enough to have a say...

but honestly, the big issue here you're dealing with is peer pressure. I think the answer to them should be... "he'll ride in just a seatbelt when the seatbelt fits him properly. Until then, it's just not safe"

my own 9.5yr old is 4'6" and probably the only kid his age in our city (save any I haven't seen) in anything... he's in a backless booster as he has a long torso and outgrew the Monterey's high back

He knows exactly why and, while he's asked, he doesn't complain... because when he has asked, I'll let him try the seatbelt (with the car not even running, let alone moving), and he quickly sees the seatbelt just doesn't fit him.

I think the reason he has ever asked is because his brother is SO tall he was 4'9" by 8yrs old... and he wants to know why he's not doing these things at the same age...

My daughter, despite all this, while she would ask even a year ago, about riding in a backless booster or just a seatbelt, because she has the example set by her brothers, now tells EVERYONE that she LOVES her boosters because they make the seatbelt fit right so she's safe AND that she will not get in a car without one because she is too little and will only ride without one when she is big enough that the seatbelt fits her "JUSSST RRRIIIIGHT".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC