Question Safe entertainment for RFing toddler?

Maeve

My one year old (today!) howls like a banshee after 10min in the car. He has a nice view out but I'm at a loss for entertainment. He's got lots of safe little soft toys but hurls them at his brother in the backseat and just keeps howling. It makes any car trip maddening.

Any thoughts on this? When my first was this age, we were clueless about car safety and we bought several toys intended for car entertainment, which undoubtedly were very unsafe in the event of an accident.

Is there a thread that I could be directed to?

Many thanks!
Maeve

ADS

Baylor

My one year old (today!) howls like a banshee after 10min in the car. He has a nice view out but I'm at a loss for entertainment. He's got lots of safe little soft toys but hurls them at his brother in the backseat and just keeps howling. It makes any car trip maddening.

Any thoughts on this? When my first was this age, we were clueless about car safety and we bought several toys intended for car entertainment, which undoubtedly were very unsafe in the event of an accident.

Is there a thread that I could be directed to?

Many thanks!
Maeve

That made me laugh. My son is the same way.. when he is bored he will actually take off his shoes and toss them over his head at his brother behind him... LOL.. Aren't they fun??

Hope you get good safe ideas!

MissAllyLou

Part of it could be age... he probably doesn't like being confined and buckled in.

Maybe get some toddler songs that he knows, and sing a long?

I also keep a set of toys in the car that are ONLY for the car, they are never taken out of the car. We have some small stuffed toys, some Little People, a few Disney Cars (lightening mcqueen, towmater, etc), some books, and a bunch of blankets to make the kiddos cozy.

Baylor

I was thinking about it and I know I had a mirror that was fastened to the seat and when my son would cry it would light up and play music. It was a lifesaver!

MissAllyLou

I was thinking about it and I know I had a mirror that was fastened to the seat and when my son would cry it would light up and play music. It was a lifesaver!

Those mirrors (and really, mirrors in general), are not safe because if it came unattached in a collision it would fly right at your child's head. The faster you are going, the harder it hits.

This is also the reason that we only recommend soft toys for the car. Anything hard could cause damage.

Eresh

It was somewhat unintentional, but ds loves the pieces of pool noodle I cut to recline his ca and didn't end up using. They're just short enough he can't hit his brother with them ;)

Louisa

CPST Instructor
careful tho, my kids love the noodles too, but i recently noticed some bites missing out of them ;)

rodentranger

I put a dvd player in the center with each kid outboard.
0212000921.jpg

0212000922.jpg

gsdguenter

How did you attach the DVD player like that? Is it in some kind of case? It looks cool, although I know they are not allowed.

Mae

Those mirrors (and really, mirrors in general), are not safe because if it came unattached in a collision it would fly right at your child's head. The faster you are going, the harder it hits.

This is also the reason that we only recommend soft toys for the car. Anything hard could cause damage.

Yes, right. Take a look at this post. They were in a crash and a mirror that was hooked down still hit her DS in the head.

As my brain is slowly coming back from the concussion I have more to add.

I had one of those mirrors that hook onto the top tether anchor. I figured that since it was hooked onto the car it wouldn't be a potential projectile. WRONG! It ended up on the floor of the car behind DS. DS does have a very small bruise on his forehead and I can only think that is from the mirror hitting him :(. It was very soft so not too bad but still.

The general rule with toys and such in the car -- If you wouldn't throw it at your kid's head with all your strength, you probably shouldn't let them play with it. ;)

Dorothy

Your LO probably isn't old enough to enjoy the travel Aquadoodle yet, huh? DD got hers at around 1.75 yo and has gotten hours and hours and hours of entertainment from it in the car since then. When she was younger, we found a kid's nursery rhyme CD that she liked. We would turn it up and sing along. It didn't work every time, but it was pretty effective. She also had some cloth books with squeakers, crinkle paper, feel-and-learn pages, etc. that she liked to look at. Otherwise, we let her pick a special treasure to take in the car (although we sometimes have to guide her toward appropriate choices. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC