Which one would you FF?

mamakc

I occasionally watch my niece and nephew and I usually pick up/drop off. I used to have radians and did a RF 3 across w/ a radian, avenue, and SR22. I would put my 3.5 yo FF in the 3rd row. I now have replaced the radian w/ a complete air. Any chance I might still be able to do 3 across? If not I'll have to put one of the boys FF in the back w/ DD. They are the same age, 3 weeks apart, nephew is younger and also smaller. Here's stats I know offhand:

DS: 2 in December. 32lb
Nephew: 2 in January. approx 25 pounds

Nephew is FF in all other vehicles, DS has never been FF. Which one would you put FF if I can't fit 3 across anymore?

Thanks!

ADS

monstah

What vehicle?
:yeahthat:

*If* I had to FF one of the two year olds, it wouldn't be my kid. I know it sounds cold hearted but his parents want him forward facing and I don't want my kid to be. Simple enough, IMO.

mamakc

*If* I had to FF one of the two year olds, it wouldn't be my kid. I know it sounds cold hearted but his parents want him forward facing and I don't want my kid to be. Simple enough, IMO.

That's sort of how I feel too, but I didn't want to say it. lol But if the weight difference between them mattered I'd be willing to FF my DS once in a great while after he turns 2. However, the drive to and from pick up/drop off is 20 minutes on a 70mph freeway. :thumbsdown:

The vehicle is a 2007 Ford Freestyle

montanamama

Can you install a seat RF in the back row I was able to get an Avenue in the 3rd row and load through the back on my DH's 05 Freestyle (I am not a tech). It was a pain but it worked the one time I had to do it.

Baylor

:yeahthat:

I don't think it sounds cold and I agree with you. I don't change my car seat rules for my kids for anyone.

It is a shame you have to choose... :(

mamakc

Can you install a seat RF in the back row I was able to get an Avenue in the 3rd row and load through the back on my DH's 05 Freestyle (I am not a tech). It was a pain but it worked the one time I had to do it.

I have not been able to successfully install the avenue RF in the 3rd row. It would have to be forcefully braced and as far as I know that is not allowed by safety 1st.

How were you able to install it?

Last edited:

mamakc

well I did it. Turned the 22month old FF :( It was a really uncomfortable drive for ME lol If I find time while having 4 kids under 4 today I am going to try to find a way to fit him in RF. It's not looking promising though

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I have a similar situation in that my DS and my nephew are just a month apart, and my nephew is the smaller of the two. DS is still RF but nephew's parents have chosen to turn him FF despite my best attempts to convince them otherwise.

When he rides with me, I put him RF if possible, but as his parents prefer him FF I wouldn't stress too much about it if only a FF seat was available for him. He is their child, and they get to make those decisions for him.

monstah

I have a Freestyle and have spent more hours doing 3 across with more car seat combinations in that car than probably any other human being on earth. :p I know two ERF are practically impossible. That's why my 3 year old is FF in a GN now. :(
What seats do you have and how many do you want RF and FF? I might be able to brainstorm for you.

mamakc

Wow a tech with a Freestyle, you might be my new BFF! ;)

Here's what I have available to use:

Avenue
Complete Air LX
Nautilus
Maestro
Baby's snug ride 22 (I never have it to install ahead of time, I only get it & the base when I pick them up)

I put the Nauti & Avenue FF in the 3rd row. Complete Air (drivers) and SR22 (passenger) outboard 2nd row.

Have you ever been able to get any seats installed RF in the 3rd row of yours?

monstah

I put the Nauti & Avenue FF in the 3rd row. Complete Air (drivers) and SR22 (passenger) outboard 2nd row.

Have you ever been able to get any seats installed RF in the 3rd row of yours?

Does the 2007 has two top tether anchors in the third row? I only have one. :(

I have installed a Coccoro, a Marathon and a Scenera RF in the third row. The MA and Scenera were very upright. Possibly too upright but I had no other choice.

I'm going to serve dinner now and I'll be back to brainstorm. I need to know about the top tethers first.

mamakc

just one TT in the 3rd row. It's why i got the nauti because I read it was decent w/o the tether.

monstah

Oh geez... 3 RFing and 1 FF in a Freestyle?? Are you opposed to making a pact with the devil?
I can't even begin to explain to other people how horrifying the Freestyle is for more than 2 car seats.

My first thought is keeping two RFing convertibles in the third row for your niece & nephew. I know how awkward (and painful!) using the 3rd row can be. But if it's only an occasional thing it might not be too bad.
Would the baby's parents buy a Scenera to keep in your car? Maybe a Scenera and the Avenue RF in the third row permanent. Then your two can sit outboard 2nd row.

You need to fold the 2nd row down, install, flip 2nd row up, try to adjust angle and repeat until the car seats are at the perfect angle. Then you could leave them for the occasional babysitting. Otherwise you will have one forward facer without top tether and that makes me nervous because the back of the second row is so close to the third row. :(

TerisBoys

Trying to picture my parents Freestyle. I know that Josh hates the way-back because he has no knee-room.

Would the SR22 work baseless in the back row with the handle up?

mamakc

permanent installs are impossible in my car. I am forever having to re-arrange seats for one reason or another. I watch these two so infrequently that it's just not logical for me to have permanent seats for them. Their parents are not the type to care enough to buy a new seat for THEIR car, much less mine! I just measured nephew and he's 33.5inches tall, 27lbs 13 inch torso. I don't think he's technically tall enough to FF in the Avenue. I did manage to get the SR22 installed in the 3rd row baseless so I think I have our solution for going home today. It'll be SR22 & Nauti in the 3rd row, CA & Ave RF in 2nd row.

mommyfrog

I had the same kind of dilema a few days ago and almost came on here and asked!! My ds is 2y6m and my niece is 2y4m. Ds is 36 inches, 32 pounds, with a 95% head. Niece is 34 inches 25-28ish pounds, and normal size head. They both rf in Radians normally but have both ff a couple of times, my niece more than my ds. My rf spare got left in the rain (for about 2 minutes) so I couldn't use it and will probably just trash it now since I hate it anyway (Eddie Bauer AIO) and the straps are compromised, right?!!(please say yes and I promise to go buy a Scenera for my back up:D) Anyway, I chose to rf my ds and ff my niece because my ds' head is huge compared to his body. He is seriously still top heavy and falls and hits his head constantly. I just felt that his neck is probably more at risk than her's with his big ol' noggin!!!

Baylor

I have to tell you I have nothing to offer but I have been considering getting rid of my van and getting something smaller.. Now I feel like I am spoiled with all the seating and a tether at every location.. I think I will keep it til it dies now.. lol..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC