How did I do?

honeydew

Preface: I am a nanny to 16 month old Madeleine. She rides RFing in all vehicles - Symphonies in her parent's cars and a Triumph65 in mine.

Her mom and I were talking about carseats last week and the subject of RFing came up. She mentioned that Madi's legs are pretty scrunched in her car and that she might be uncomfortable. I told her that kids can bend much better than adults can and that honestly, she's RFing to protect her neck and spine, not her legs. She nodded in agreement and we are leaving her RFing.

I don't think she's done any research about RF, FF or any carseat safety, because she's always asking me about current recommendations, etc. I know this topic will come up again in a few months and I want to be prepared for the next time. I did tell her that while FF at this age is legal, it's not the safest way to transport a 16 month old.

Did I do ok?

ADS

Aurezalia

Coming from another nanny, I think you did fine! If she asks for the information, give it to her, but if that's sufficient don't flood her with information she's not asking for yet. The family I'm with now needed to see all the data before deciding to leave him RF'ing, but the family I was with before were satisfied with me simply telling them that it was safer. If/when she asks more about it, then you can show her all the data. :)

kidnurse

I would go a different way with that. I would give the family a little information, not so much as to overwhelm them, but enough so they are a bit educated ahead of time. So that when friends and family harp on them to turn baby FF they already know why it is a better/safer choice to keep her RF and in turn hopefully are less likely to just agree with the norm and turn her FF. :twocents:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You could also take pictures whenever you catch her sleeping in places other than the car seat with her legs curled up. It's hard to argue that a child is uncomfortable with their legs squished when you are have a bunch of adorable pictures of said child sleeping peacefully with her rear in the air and her knees up to her chin.

HayleyCPST

Coming from another nanny, I think you did fine! If she asks for the information, give it to her, but if that's sufficient don't flood her with information she's not asking for yet. The family I'm with now needed to see all the data before deciding to leave him RF'ing, but the family I was with before were satisfied with me simply telling them that it was safer. If/when she asks more about it, then you can show her all the data. :)

This. One family I worked for chose to keep them (3 &1 at the time) FF after I gave them info including crash test vids and brochures and everything. That was rough.

Another family asks me questions all the time about car safety then I give them information. It seems to me that the less you give them initially, the more they will ask later. It gets their wheels churning so to speak.

Great job! It's nice to have that open communication so you can discuss it.

honeydew

Thanks, everyone.

Because the mom and I are very close friends, it's easy for us to talk about anything, but I have a hard time going against the grain in person, KWIM? I'm afraid if she keeps talking about FFing the baby, I'm just going to finally agree because it's easier than fighting for RF.

Hopefully she won't mention anything for a long while so I won't have to worry about it.

honeydew

You could also take pictures whenever you catch her sleeping in places other than the car seat with her legs curled up. It's hard to argue that a child is uncomfortable with their legs squished when you are have a bunch of adorable pictures of said child sleeping peacefully with her rear in the air and her knees up to her chin.

Everyone in the house knows this kid sleeps in all sorts of crazy positions. We have a video baby monitor and we always comment on her butt up in the air! Mom definitely understands that babies are little contortionists. Hopefully she'll remember that when she starts getting concerned about her legs again.

Baylor

Just as a mom I think you did great! I would be so thrilled if someone cared about my child so much to make sure they were as safe as possible in the car.

Awesome!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
You did great because the DC is still Rfing.

I always tell parents "research found it to be 5x safer through age 2," and "rf ing better protects the head, neck and spinal cord."

If it were me, I'd have the crash test video bookmarked and I'd also tag the official "5x safer" material at CHOP or Safe Ride News so I can quickly share. . .

Kat_Momof3

I think you did just right... you offered a light and easy reference without too much info all at once. I'm sure it will make her think and probably realize that babies LOVE to be all squished up and snuggly anyway...

if not, you can go from there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC