Hyperemesis Gravadarum anyone?

Suzibeck

HG is a condition of pregnancy where morning sickness (ha) is extreme, lasting 24 hours a day for months, sometimes the whole pregnancy. Sufferers become dehydrated, lose significant amounts of weight and basically become unable to function.

I suffered HG in all of my pregnancies. With my first, I had no idea such a condition exsisited. My pregnancy books didn't prepare me for that!

Dr. Phil is doing a show on HG tomorrow, Thursday. I have never watched Dr. Phil but I will be tomorrow. If this show gets good ratings, maybe there will be more opportunities to get the word out on HG.

So if you suffered from HG, know someone who has, or are just interesting in the condition, watch Dr. Phil tomorrow.

ADS

scatterbunny

Yes, I am sure I had this the first 5-6 months with Hayley. It was awful. My doctor actually recommended I quit my job because of it. I just could not function. I lost my voice from throwing up so much. :(

My heart goes out to anyone who is dealing with this!

Melizerd

Me, I did have to quit my job. I could LITERALLY not leave the house, or the bathroom some days. Even with medication I was still so nauseous it wasn't funny. I would throw up blood because the capillaries in my throat would burst from the violence of vomiting. It's the big reason my son will be an only child. I lost 12 lbs and it took me til week 30 to gain it back. My doctor was wonderful about it though and was always helping me find something to make me feel better. I didn't start feeling better til I was 5 months pregnant.

The only nice thing was that since I lost so much weight, I left the hospital after giving birth 1 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight. Thanks for the heads up on Dr. Phil.

scatterbunny

I had broken blood vessels all over my face from the force of throwing up so much. I looked like someone had beat me up. Now when I so much as cough too hard I break blood vessels in my face.

Suzibeck

Sorry there are so many of us out there! I took 4 months off of work, I had a PICC line and 23 hour a day IVs. Then, I went back part-time for quite a while. I was so weak I couldn't take a full day. I lost 25 lbs with my first! My doctor pushed me to regain everything I lost plus 25 lbs!:eek: I drank Ensure Plus until I delivered because I was still sick enough to not want to eat.

My later pregnancies were better managed and I fared much better, but the kids watched a ton of Veggie Tales videos. My new doctor only wanted me to gain 20 lbs from my lowest weight, I lost about 10 with each of them. I weighed several lbs less after delivery than at conception. I don't recommend the HG weight loss plan however, too nasty!

Here's hoping that Dr. Phil can raise awareness and no one will ever ask an HG woman again if she tried crackers. :( Oh yeah, thanks for mentioning that, I never would have thought of that myself! :rolleyes:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I had HG with Evan. It was HORRIBLE. At my worst I was vomiting 10+ times a day, oral Zofran was my hero! Even on Zofran I was vomiting a few times a week, giving birth cured it.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I couldnt work either...theres still stains in the sidewalk of my apartments..I know gross right. I couldnt even keep water down, and had to go to the ER a couple of times for fluid...I passed out at the grocery store once too...I was also taking progesertone supplements, because mine was sooo low, and that definately helped nothing. I totally feel for other moms going through this...It really makes me not want to ever be pregnany again...ick

Melizerd

I had HG with Evan. It was HORRIBLE. At my worst I was vomiting 10+ times a day, oral Zofran was my hero! Even on Zofran I was vomiting a few times a week, giving birth cured it.

oral.. I wish, I had to take the suppository because I couldn't keep the oral down long enough. :(

Melizerd

ya I had some of that too. the only problem was that my insurance would only allow 4 tablets a MONTH so I put them in my purse for if I was out somewhere. The co-pay was nuts too :(

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
This is one of the VERY few times I was glad my dh was military.

I was getting ninety 8mg tabs of Zofran a month, for free.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I feel like the outsider here because I only had very mild morning sickness with all of my 5 (yes, 5, but only 3 kiddos) pregnancies. I have a good friend that is pregnant with twins right now and she has a weird allergy to her pregnancy! She had rashes all over her body for a long time and has had some relief with drinking Noni juice. I know this isn't related to HG, but it is just another rare side effect of pregnancy (sometimes it's called PUPPS?) Everyone is different, I guess!

Suzibeck

Yes, Zofran is horribly expensive! Our 20%, more than 5 years ago, was $500 a month. Fortunately, dh's company changed insurance carriers part way through my pregnancy or I would have been admitted to the hospital for IV Zofran (which would have been covered 100%) for the last 4-5 months of my pregnancy. We just couldn't afford to buy the stuff, but I HAD to have it. I needed meds until delivery, and for two days after with #2, but I became marginally functional after 20 weeks with all of them.

Did anyone else have trouble with depression after Zofran? I recently heard it is a seretonin depressor. I was just sad for about 2 1/2 years after my last was born, my only Zofran baby. It wasn't horrible, can't function depression, but I felt like the joy was sucked out of my life. I'm wondering if that was from the Zofran or just from being overwhelmed with 3 girls with asthma, two with severe reflux and one with a host of other issues.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I know this isn't related to HG, but it is just another rare side effect of pregnancy (sometimes it's called PUPPS?) Everyone is different, I guess!

I had PUPPS with my oldest. Horrible rash from the soles of your feet all the way up. There is no cure. Usually, it doesn't go away until birth, but mine disappeared a week or so before I went into labor. The very best thing that I found for relief was temperature change. Stepping into a hot shower, or picking up a cold drink would confuse the nerves, so you wouldn't feel itchy for a bit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC