Helped a little today?? I hope...

Baylor

I offered to take my Aunt and Uncle and their Grandchildren to the Aquarium today. So they met me and we went to get gas.. When we did I noticed that the two older kids were sitting in the back seat. No seats.
UGH..
What do I say.. So I just said, They really are too little to sit like that. They would be hurt badly in a crash.. She said.. I Know...

So I got them to at least move the littler one 4 yrs/ maybe 35-40 lbs to the seat they had in the car and strap her in. The 5 yr old was still in the seat but I could adjust the belt a little.. Best I could do. I fixed the 2 yr old in his seat and made him tight then Installed the seat the 4 yr old was in because it was moving all over.

She was really upset about having to sit in a BABY seat.. So When we got home I bought them 2 harmony LBB. A hot pink one for her and camo one for him.

I know it was not much but it was all I could do today.

I am sure It was not perfect but it was sure a lot better than when they arrived.

OH!! And My 6.5 yrold, Rode in his Nautilus in booster mode today. He did good. It freaked me out a little but I realized that he has maybe a 1/2 inch to out growing that last strap placement. I figured I should start at some point. I am not happy about it.. but I realize it is inevitable!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Good for you for trying, but are you sure the "35-40" pound child was actually within the limits of the carseat by height and weight? I understand the desire to do something -- anything -- but the goal at a check (which I know this wasn't) is to make sure kids are safer than they were when they arrived, and putting a child in an outgrown seat will not accomplish that.

Angela

Okay, I'm a little confused... The 4 and 5 year old were both NOT in seats to start with right? And the 2 year old was? So what seats did you move the older kids to? Maybe I'm just tired and not getting it.

Baylor

Okay, I'm a little confused... The 4 and 5 year old were both NOT in seats to start with right? And the 2 year old was? So what seats did you move the older kids to? Maybe I'm just tired and not getting it.

Sorry. The 4 and 5 yr old were in the back of a minivan.

There are 2 captain seats in the middle. On the left was the 2 year old in a car seat.
There was a scenera on the other seat unused. The 4 yr old can not be more than 40 lbs. I can tell when I pick up my son and then her. She is maybe 35lbs.

That is where they moved her. The 5 yr old had no where to go.. :(

Last edited:

Angela

Good job at getting them new backless seats! Much better than no seats or the scenera (I'm sure she was pretty close to the weight). Just remember that if you are helping someone you know (preferably) that you show them how it's supposed to be done and they should install it themselves after you show them. Great job helping out though!

Baylor

Right now you are at the level know as, "knows enough to be dangerous". Maybe you should look at taking to tech course? It is about 4 days long.

I plan on taking that course and I know that I am not car seat expert. If I had never come here and seen that I would have done the best I could to make it better.

I am positive I did not make anything worse.

Baylor

Good job at getting them new backless seats! Much better than no seats or the scenera (I'm sure she was pretty close to the weight). Just remember that if you are helping someone you know (preferably) that you show them how it's supposed to be done and they should install it themselves after you show them. Great job helping out though!

Thanks. My Aunt stood there with me while I fixed the car seats that were there and she told me she can never get them tight enough. I showed her the trick that Monstah showed me in pulling the fabric back a little reaching in and tightening that way and the putting the fabric back. She was happy to see how much easier that made it. She has nerve damage in her hands so it is hard for her to install them.

I also made a point of telling her to make sure she used the strap with the RED buckle that comes with the booster seats and told her to read the instructions. She really wanted to make sure they were safe too.

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Good for you for trying, but are you sure the "35-40" pound child was actually within the limits of the carseat by height and weight? I understand the desire to do something -- anything -- but the goal at a check (which I know this wasn't) is to make sure kids are safer than they were when they arrived, and putting a child in an outgrown seat will not accomplish that.

I would have done the same thing honestly. Even a slightly outgrown seat is going to be better than no seat at all.

scatterbunny

I would have done the same thing honestly. Even a slightly outgrown seat is going to be better than no seat at all.

I agree. I'd much rather see a 4yo in a slightly outgrown Scenera than in a seatbelt alone. I'd also rather see a 4yo and 5yo in backless boosters than in seatbelts alone. I believe a 4yo in a slightly outgrown harness and a 4yo/5yo in a backless booster is safER than a 4yo and 5yo in seatbelts alone.

Do look for a tech class; you have the passion necessary to make a great tech. :) Learn to control the passion (lest you alienate parents and caregivers by coming across overzealous), though. ;)

Baylor

I agree. I'd much rather see a 4yo in a slightly outgrown Scenera than in a seatbelt alone. I'd also rather see a 4yo and 5yo in backless boosters than in seatbelts alone. I believe a 4yo in a slightly outgrown harness and a 4yo/5yo in a backless booster is safER than a 4yo and 5yo in seatbelts alone.

Do look for a tech class; you have the passion necessary to make a great tech. :) Learn to control the passion (lest you alienate parents and caregivers by coming across overzealous), though. ;)

Thanks! I am not looking for issues really, but when they pulled up and opened the van.. I was just panicking inside. I was thinking of my own children and these little ones I love. From there we went to the gas station and all the way there, I was just going over and over in my mind how to say something.

I decided that I want to buy 2 more boosters to keep in my car in emergencies or just in case someone needs one. I have the room and they are cheap enough.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I also agree that the Scenera might have been the best choice (what were the other seats in the vehicle at the time?), but I'm leery of making it seem like an okay choice if it really isn't (if that makes sense). There's the lesser of two evils in a zombie attack, and there's "oh, let's try this".

christineka

My dd is almost 6, weighs 35 pounds and fits in the scenera fine. All of my kids have the torso size that would have allowed them to fit in the scenera until 40 pounds. My ds1 was in the cosco hbb (same top slots) till 40 pounds (and age 4) and his shoulders were 1 inch below the top slots at 40 pounds. It isn't necessarily a given that every single 4 year old out there has outgrown the scenera. If the child was under the weight limit, the shoulders under the top slot, and the seat installed correctly, then I'm certain the child was safer riding in a scenera than in just a seatbelt.

Baylor

I have always cared about car safety. Everyone in my car buckles up and children are always in car seats/boosters if needed. What coming here made me realize is how many of us parents who are trying hard to get it right, and keep our kids safe are actually still missing some vital information.

That while we do our best it still may not be good enough.

I don't know what to say about people who just don't seem to think any of it is important. I can't go there..

I think we all do the best we can.

Baylor

So today when I signed on Facebook there was a message from my Aunt! She wrote" thanks for the boosters! You probably saved my grandkids lives... " How cool is that!

Baylor

It was nice to have her really appreciate the effort. The kids are going to be driving from PA to NC in a few months And i will feel better that they have the seats.

Thanks for all the help and information here. I know it has made a difference in my family's life.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC