Have you ever sold on Craigslist?

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
Hi,
Have you ever sold anything on Craigslist? I heard about the site, and wanted to know if it is a good place to post baby things for sale. I was thinking about ebay, but this seems better since you can sell locally.

We just bought a second car seat (Britax MA in Erin) for Hubby's truck :D and I really want to get a new stroller, but they are soooo expensive. However, if I could sell some of Karli's old things then that would offset the price.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle

ADS

lovinwaves

OH YES!!! Craigslist is awesome! I sell pretty much everything on there. Better than ebay for most items because there are no fees, no waiting, no questioning payment, no shipping.

Ebay owns 25% of Craigslist now. Also, take time to read their page on Scams. I have been scammed several times (or they tried to), but thankfully was prepared thanks to their great info.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
Thanks lovinwaves,
It seems so easy (too easy) compared to ebay. I have never done this before so I am a little apprehensive. But I have sooo may great items, and they are just taking up space we don't have:p
The craigslist site doesn't have a ton of info. on what to do. I assume you just do a little write-up and submit the post w/ pics. Then do interested people email you?
Also, when you (personally) have sold stuff do you let people come to your house to get the items (if local) or do you meet them somewhere?
I did skim over the scam stuff, need to go back and read more. It seems pretty straight forward that the seller should only accept cash. Are there any other things (not mentioned) I need to look out for?

Oh I am so excited, if this works:D

lovinwaves

Thanks lovinwaves,
It seems so easy (too easy) compared to ebay. I have never done this before so I am a little apprehensive. But I have sooo may great items, and they are just taking up space we don't have:p
The craigslist site doesn't have a ton of info. on what to do. I assume you just do a little write-up and submit the post w/ pics. Then do interested people email you?
Also, when you (personally) have sold stuff do you let people come to your house to get the items (if local) or do you meet them somewhere?
I did skim over the scam stuff, need to go back and read more. It seems pretty straight forward that the seller should only accept cash. Are there any other things (not mentioned) I need to look out for?

Oh I am so excited, if this works:D

Yes, I agree it is much easier than ebay. My advice to you is this...Let's say for example you are selling a Graco snugride. I would put "good" photos of it on there, and most importantly a VERY detailed description. I seem to get top dollar for things that I have taken the time to write a detailed description on, and taken good photos of (good lighting is key). Don't make the potential buyer have to ask you anymore questions (they don't have time for that). So be sure all possible answers are already in the listing. <hope that made sense.

It is really up to you if you want to have them contact you through anonymous email that is fine, or you can even post your phone number in the listing. I personally never have though.

I do ALL cash transactions on my items. There was once that I did pay with a paypal payment, but I don't accept paypal because of the fees.

I always try to talk to person on the phone before the transaction takes place. If they don't want to then I would not continue with the person. I have caught onto many scams because they wouldn't talk to me over the phone.

Also, don't give them your home number. People can easily look up your home phone and find an address. Never mention any more details in your email or on the phone then you have to, ie: "My husband is at work right now, and the kids are napping, so can we meet up later?" <<bad idea LOL!

Anyways, it is pretty straight forward, and common sense. Just be careful and don't be *to* trusting of people. Keep it local, and cash only and you should be fine.

As far is picking up items I always try to meet the person in a public place. And make sure your "public Place" is full of people at the time LOL! Target may be a public place, but way out in their parking lot isn't exactly safe though, ya know what I mean?

Good luck, and feel free to ask any more questions :thumbsup:

broken4u05

I got my job from there. Never bought anything though. Butyeah nothing personal and never have them come to your house or go to there's

Dillipop

We sold our last car on craigslist. I also sold a brand new infant seat on there. We bought my mom's highchair from a woman on there. All cash transactions. The man looking at the car met my husband at a grocery store lot and then had to come back to our house to call me to get the second key- oops! The carseat, I met the couple at my mom's house. I picked up the highchair from a woman's house. Oh- I also bought a safeguard seat and a sling from our local list and picked those up at people's houses. All 3 times I picked up, I spoke with a woman and it was during working hours, so I didn't question it. I spoke with all 3 woman before going and all had toddlers running around, so I personally felt ok going. I think it would depend on what kind of vibe you get and how you feel going into that situation.

Morganthe

As far is picking up items I always try to meet the person in a public place. And make sure your "public Place" is full of people at the time LOL! Target may be a public place, but way out in their parking lot isn't exactly safe though, ya know what I mean?

Good luck, and feel free to ask any more questions :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice. I've been considering Craig's listing too, but haven't gotten around to investigating it.
Either of our 2 big McDonald's would work for me. Something for dd to do while we wait + afterwards, lots of people who kind of know me now, neutral territory, & centrally located :p

I'm finally considering (important word ;) ) selling off my Graco Sport Play yard. Not my listing of course. The box mysteriously disapeared a while back. But I loved using it. They no longer make it and it's gathering dust in my dd's closet. Ahhh well, maybe I'll get the guts up to sell it soon. :eek:

southpawboston

craigslist is awesome. we've sold just about everything we've ever had to sell through there. also picked up a lot of things.

another tip for craigslist: if you're looking for something and you can't find it, you can post a "wanted: xxxxxx" on craigslist. you'd be amazed at how many people will reply to you telling you they have that something that you're looking for! :thumbsup:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Hey morganthe!

Let me know if you ever decide to get rid of the pack n play thing. That may be just what we need for our little one for the summer.

I'd be willing to drive to your McD's to pick it up, LOL.

(Wanna go to the zoo, too? Or something.)

Melizerd

I've never sold anything but I bought my jogging stroller through there. I just emailed the seller and asked questions. Then they gave me their number and I called and talked to a very nice woman.

I went to their home to pick it up but I left exact location name and number of the people with a friend and I told the friend I would call them when I was done. I was very happy with it and I'd do it again.

Another great place to get things or get rid of things you don't need is freecycle. That's a free only site just to give away or receive free items though. It's a good place to keep an eye out for interesting things. My friend got a piano last week :D

southpawboston

Another great place to get things or get rid of things you don't need is freecycle. That's a free only site just to give away or receive free items though. It's a good place to keep an eye out for interesting things. My friend got a piano last week :D

AGREED!!! i'm very active on three local freecycle groups! i just picked up a whole set of triple-track aluminum storm windows for my three-seasons porch project. they are worth $800 and i got them for free! :thumbsup: i've also given away a set of oak chairs, and various small stuff through freecycle. definitely recommended!

mominabigtruck

I've sold and bought on craigslist but really for me its more of a hassle then ebay. On my local one so many people don't put any info or pictures or contact info. Not to say that I haven't gotten good deals, but I would rather just buy something off of ebay and have it come to my door or sell it that way, then I don't have to deal with the hassle of people and conflicting schedules and people who don't know their way around the town they live in.

lovinwaves

AGREED!!! i'm very active on three local freecycle groups! i just picked up a whole set of triple-track aluminum storm windows for my three-seasons porch project. they are worth $800 and i got them for free! :thumbsup: i've also given away a set of oak chairs, and various small stuff through freecycle. definitely recommended!

Yes, I love our local freecycle. DH and I just gave away our Furnace on there last Summer. It worked just fine, but we upgraded our AC unit and needed a bigger blower furnace. A 70 year old couple came and got it. The furnace they replaced was a 50 year old one :eek: The lady was so thrilled she gave me a hug and cried. They said "we saw your listing, but didn't believe it. We thought it was too good to be true, but obviously we were wrong".

Now that will brighten your day up. Freecycle is an awesome thing :thumbsup:

lovinwaves

I've sold and bought on craigslist but really for me its more of a hassle then ebay. On my local one so many people don't put any info or pictures or contact info. Not to say that I haven't gotten good deals, but I would rather just buy something off of ebay and have it come to my door or sell it that way, then I don't have to deal with the hassle of people and conflicting schedules and people who don't know their way around the town they live in.

Wow, that's a bummer. There are some listings that aren't very descriptive here also, but you can contact them through the anonymous email on Craigslist. I have had some hassles here and there, but for the most part it is easier and much faster than ebay not to mention cheaper. Cash is Cash, and that's the part I like LOL! :D

mominabigtruck

I agree that it can be lots cheaper then ebay, especially when you factor in shipping, but I'm the type I want it when I want it and I get satisfaction out of clicking on the buy now button.

lovinwaves

I agree that it can be lots cheaper then ebay, especially when you factor in shipping, but I'm the type I want it when I want it and I get satisfaction out of clicking on the buy now button.

LOL!! My husband always makes fun of me with Ebay when I say "I WON I WON!!" He's like um... honey you didn't *win* we still have to pay for it. :rolleyes: What a party pooper...

oxeye

I love craigslist. :) I've sold a lot on it and never had a deal gone bad (though occassionally people don't show up when they say they will).

And I agree - stick with local deals and read the scam stuff. I've gotten lots of scam e-mails but just delete them. I did sell one thing to someone a couple states away. I was trying to get rid of a jogging stroller that was discontinued. A guy e-mailed me and just wanted the wheel to replace the one broken on his stroller. LOL I just had him pay through paypal and all was good. :)

I've sold baby stuff, furniture, dog stuff, even a treadmill on it.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
Thanks Everyone,
I am going to post some things for sale this weekend:thumbsup:
I may come back and ask some pricing/advice on selling the travel system we have.
:D
Michelle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC