Comfortable with your DC provider transporting LO?

T4K

I see many of you (who are also CPSTs/car seat wonders) Nanny or do home day care.

I interviewed a potential provider for the LO coming next month. Everything about her was AWESOME. She takes 3 babies, mine would be the 3rd, so this is better than center care. She's very flexible with my schedule, I can come in and nurse, yadda yadda. The only thing that struck a funny chord was that she does transport the children on occassion. She said she would let me know in advance but she has an 8 pass minivan (didn't see it) and uses what looks like Graco SR22s for the tiny ones. Besides checking expiration, making sure the bases are installed to my liking, making sure she knows how tight the harness should ACTUALLY be, that it should be at or below LO's shoulders, and reminding her that the chest clip goes at LOs chest, what else do I need to do? She said she had a blemish free driving record and she's a mom herself to 2 very respectful 14 yo twins (met them)....

Ugh, this is weighing so heavy on my mind. What did you do to ensure your day care provider had your LOs safe?

ADS

Angela

This is a tough one. With me being a CPST, my DC parents have never questioned me. In your situation, I would make sure she uses a seat provided by you, not one that she already has (a base also, if you're using a bucket). I would also ask if she's ever had her installs checked by a tech. If not, ask if she might be able to meet with one, if you set it up. This way both of you are sure that it is in correctly. Plus, she can tell other perspective parents that she has done this and learned how to correctly install and use the car seats she has. If she is really as awesome as you say, she should be very understanding of this and agree to do it. :) Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: T4K

T4K

This is a tough one. With me being a CPST, my DC parents have never questioned me. In your situation, I would make sure she uses a seat provided by you, not one that she already has (a base also, if you're using a bucket). I would also ask if she's ever had her installs checked by a tech. If not, ask if she might be able to meet with one, if you set it up. This way both of you are sure that it is in correctly. Plus, she can tell other perspective parents that she has done this and learned how to correctly install and use the car seats she has. If she is really as awesome as you say, she should be very understanding of this and agree to do it. :) Good luck and let us know how it goes.

With the relatively short time I spent with her, I don't see her having a problem with a tech meeting us. I should have thought of that :doh:

I'll probably buy an extra base for my new Shuttle for her to use. My shuttle will last longer anyway before I have to worry about providing a convertible.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

TheMisssMom

I installed the seats myself for the most part...and now she drives my minivan b/c her car didn't fit everyone anymore.:)

Cryssy Jane

I agree with the above. I own and operate an in home daycare where I take no more than 5 kiddos total with an assistant. Because I'm a CPST I've never really been questioned, about car seat usage, but upon interview I also explain my policies... rf as long as possible etc. I've only had one parent have an issue with me transporting her child, and that's because I refused to forward face a 14 month old who wasn't even 20lbs, yet because that's the way mom does it (very hard headed, wouldn't take advice), she didn't want me transporting because I wouldn't do it the way she wanted.

babyherder

I'd ask her to show you how she puts kids in the car. Like actually demonstrate with one of the babies she has now or a doll. She what she does. See if she gets the straps tight, if the seats are installed correctly, if she puts a giant snowsuit on the baby before buckling him/her in, etc.

emtb79

With me being a daycare provider and I transport the kids I will not take the parents seats and I wont use their buckets that they leave with me unleass I have a base of my own that I bought, because how do I know that it is in new condition and not been in an accident. I also have extra insurance for every child i transport.

I opened my daycare so I could be with my kids, when I finally have a baby placed with me(adopting) and because I liek to have control. So me I probably would not let someone else drive my kids unless it was me or my mom, never my brother or my dad their driving scares me.

kmarcus

that's the reason i switched to a new daycare...the old one was PERFECT in every way, but would randomly drive them somewhere (she would tell me the morning of). she didn't keep the car seats installed so had to install right before they would drive somewhere. i wasn't at all comfortable with that. and i wasn't comfortable making a big stink about it since i didn't want her to resent me and then possibly resent my kids...

amyd

I cared for a little boy last school year while he was 14-24 months. Before I agreed to take him, I spoke with his mom about transporting him. I told her I was a tech & had purchased a new seat for him, etc. She was welcome to see it if she wanted (she declined). Honestly, she was much more trusting of me that I would have been. If it were my child, I'd insist on providing the seat and installing it myself (or at least showing her how & then watching her do it so I knew she could do it properly...I think I'd be a real PITA about it, honestly:eek:).

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's a little hard, coming from the opposite side -- because I'm significantly more carseat conscious than most of my kids' parents. I learned everything I could, got my seats checked, eventually became a tech, etc. It's now a selling point I have in my back pocket if necessary.

I think there's two issues at play here -- 1) do you feel comfortable with her driving your child around, ie, if you installed the seat, put your child in the seat, etc, would you be comfortable with the actual driving portion of it. If that's a no, then that's a no. But it sounds like for you it's a yes, and so then it moves on to 2) Do you feel comfortable that she can transport your child without misuse.

Finding a tech (one from here would be best - but if she takes all infants and has no difficult installs, then any solid tech should be fine) and meeting with them definitely sounds like a best case scenario. I did a check once with my roommate's coworker's dcp -- my roommate was talking about my carseat woes one day, and her coworker asked if I would check DCP's seats, and asked DCP if she would be game. She learned a lot, not only about how to transport her dc kids but also her own children. (The ped had told her that her 37lb 4yo would be "just fine" in a backless Turbo, hello!)

If it were me, leaving my kids with someone else, I would definitely do the install myself. My preference would be to put the child in the vehicle myself (I've done this when someone other than the parents transports my dck -- family, neighbor, etc -- although now that I'm certified we do it together and I just verify that it's all done correctly.) Obviously, in a daycare situation, that's not always feasible. So I would just be super-clear about your expectations. Buying a base and installing it yourself sounds like a great plan, then you just have to worry about getting your dd properly buckled into the bucket.

My dcp have never questioned my carseat usage -- now or pre-cs.org -- so it's entirely possible it will be a brand new question for the dcp. Just go in aware of that. :)

sunnymw

I'd be honest. "I love everything about you, but I thought I'd bring up my concerns about car seat safety because I'm a little neurotic about it. What are your plans as far as car seat preference? If you have other seats are you willing to let us both meet with a technician to check them all out? Do you have any issues with me installing the base in your vehicle?" etc. Anything else. Just be up front... if she's as cool as she seems, she'll be happy you said something.

mumof2

my daughters daycare any trips they do in cars (and of course only once you have given written permission) the parents leave the carseats there.

she has a trip to the zoo next wednesday (not her normal daycare day) so will drop her off about 20 minutes before they are due to leave so I can install her carseat in the car she will be going in.

I do suspect she will be the only child there rearfacing

NannyMom

I would require the DC use my carseat and base. Unless, it was someone I knew from here ;) I know my seats haven't been crashed or mishandled. I'd watch her install and use the seat.

HayleyCPST

If you are worried about a possible driving record, then ask if you can do a record check. Not like a background check, but just a driving record. Does she have any references you can check with regarding her driving other kiddos?

Being a CPST and a Nanny, I usually provide the car seats. The reason is because I have certain rules about my car and I don't expect the parents to provide a seat for my rules. So I do. If I was a mom, I would also provide the car seat just because I know where it came from and it would be free of recalls. If you have a good feeling about her, then make sure the communication is good. Express your concerns. She should be responsive to that since she takes care of kids and she's a mom herself!

She might not be responsive and think you are crazy and there's no reason to ERF a 1 yr old. Would this be a deal breaker?

If I were you, I'd install the seat myself. Since I'm a tech, I don't let the parents install the seats because chances are, I'd do it better and they trust me. One family I Nanny for doesn't let me drive their kids. The mom's sister was in a very bad crash when she was younger and so she's very cautious now. I'm totally fine with it and I understand! We just walk everywhere now.

I want to add that I have never ever nannied/babysat for any family who questioned my installs for their kids. Even before they knew I was a tech. It's usually the other way around ;)

ETA: Also, you can maybe limit where she goes. For example when I first started nannying I was only 16 and just got my license. So the parents did not allow me to use the freeway for outings for a few months. Will you have any say in their outings?

rodentranger

One thing not brought up yet is the history of her seats. Do you know it? Are these CL seats or did she buy new?
As a tech, I insist on providing my own seats for all children in my vehicle. I know my seats' histories. I drove for a preschool field trip a few months ago and ONE parent brought their son's usual seat and I nicely let them know that I had already installed seats in my vehicle that were appropriate for the children that would be in them. (I had even used all seats that had no-rethread harness adjustments!)
But as a parent, I would also insist on using my own seat for the same reason. If the DCP was also a tech, I'd be more lenient about it though. Like if Crystal (Chrissy Jane) was watching my kids, yeah I'd let her use her seats. But then again, she'd probably be fine using my seats also. :p I think anyway.

T4K

Finding a tech (one from here would be best - but if she takes all infants and has no difficult installs, then any solid tech should be fine) and meeting with them definitely sounds like a best case scenario.

So I would just be super-clear about your expectations. Buying a base and installing it yourself sounds like a great plan, then you just have to worry about getting your dd properly buckled into the bucket.

There is one tech on here in my area. I'll probably set something up in a couple of months when LO arrives. I think having the actual baby would be nice too so the tech can demonstrate the proper harnessing and such. Dolls are fine but a baby is so much better. And they are cute. ;)

I'd be honest. "I love everything about you, but I thought I'd bring up my concerns about car seat safety because I'm a little neurotic about it. What are your plans as far as car seat preference? If you have other seats are you willing to let us both meet with a technician to check them all out? Do you have any issues with me installing the base in your vehicle?" etc. Anything else. Just be up front... if she's as cool as she seems, she'll be happy you said something.

That's probably exactly what I would say.

If you are worried about a possible driving record, then ask if you can do a record check. Not like a background check, but just a driving record. Does she have any references you can check with regarding her driving other kiddos?

She might not be responsive and think you are crazy and there's no reason to ERF a 1 yr old. Would this be a deal breaker?

ETA: Also, you can maybe limit where she goes. For example when I first started nannying I was only 16 and just got my license. So the parents did not allow me to use the freeway for outings for a few months. Will you have any say in their outings?

She said she had a clear driving record but I can always double check. And she already provided me her most recent background check. She also gave me a list of references that Mr. Thirsty and I will be checking out. She said if she has to, the only driving is mainly to her kids' school, which is close by. The freeway restriction may be nice, luckily she lives pretty close to anything she probably needs but it would be good to check. :thumbsup:

One thing not brought up yet is the history of her seats. Do you know it? Are these CL seats or did she buy new?

Regardless of the answer, I think this is a good reason to just provide my own seat. Plus, that new bucket will need some love.

babyherder

As a babysitter I almost always provide the seats for the kids in my car. However, once I get to know a parent their are some I would take seats from and others not. If it was a parent I was comfortable taking a seat from I would have no problem using their seat for their child. Actually if they wanted to pay for a seat to leave in my car I would be thrilled!

emtb79

I would allow a seat from a parent and use it if the seat was still new in box so that I knew it wasnt recalled, misused , or expired. But then again the size of the seat might be and issue in my little minivan. I also have offered my parents to see my van and my array of seats and see that they were not expired.

kittykate

My sitter picks up my boys from preschool on the days she has them. Normally she provides seats for the kids she picks up (all bought new and non expired) but I let her know from the outset that I'm a little obsessive about car safety and I would feel much more comfortable if she would allow me to install my seats in her van to use with my boys.

She had no problem with this and has followed all of my CPS requests to a T, right down to making sure that the boys take their coats off before getting into their seats. :thumbsup:

I personally would not use a sitter that I could not trust to take basic safety precautions with my child :twocents:

luvsviola

I would (and did) buy my childcare provider her own seats, and installed them in her vehicle myself. I bought Britax ones, so the install is super easy and hard to screw up, should she have to take them out. She drives a late model Acadia with latch, so Britax seats are cake to install.

If I wasn't comfortable with the provider transporting the child, that would be a red flag that I wasn't comfortable with the provider at all. :) I WANT my kids taken places like the library, children's museum, zoo, Target, wherever. It is good for them to get out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC