How to go about recommendations not in a manual or different than the manual?

Angela

I know this could probably go in the Tech forum, but I know a lot of non-techs give suggestions to friends. :)
I hear a lot about Customer Reps telling someone something can be done even though the manual says something different. The 2 that come to mind are using LATCH in booster mode in the Nautilus and the retroactive 40 lb limit on the Radian. I don't want to be a hypocrite and tell them the manual's wrong, but you should read it if you have questions. How do you go about this without sounding that way?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Tell them that the only thing that supercedes the manual is an official statement from the company, both of which apply to LATCHing the Nauti and raising the Radian's RF limits.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's nice to put good information out here for everyone to see...I never would have learned a million things if the techs were hiding out in another forum at Ivillage when I was a newbie :)

I just always have a disclaimer... "I know the manual says X, but people have called or it's online that Y...you should call the manufacturer if you want to be super sure"

Angela

It's nice to put good information out here for everyone to see...I never would have learned a million things if the techs were hiding out in another forum at Ivillage when I was a newbie :)

I just always have a disclaimer... "I know the manual says X, but people have called or it's online that Y...you should call the manufacturer if you want to be super sure"

I like the idea of having them call the manufacturer themselves to check. Good idea. What if they would happen to get someone that doesn't know this same info though?

TerisBoys

Spin it as a 'parental decision'.

Something to the effect of "I have heard 'x' about 'y' seat. You can call the manufacturer to verify, and then it's YOUR decision as a parent whether to go against the manual or not."

Then you aren't blatantly telling them "The manual sucks, do 'x'." But you're getting that info out there.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Didn't SK put a statement about the Radian on its website? And isn't there a letter from Graco floating around somewhere? You could carry copies in your tech kit, or provide people with the URLs.

Angela

Didn't SK put a statement about the Radian on its website? And isn't there a letter from Graco floating around somewhere? You could carry copies in your tech kit, or provide people with the URLs.

I'll have to see what I can find. Good idea!

jjordan

I like the idea of having them call the manufacturer themselves to check. Good idea. What if they would happen to get someone that doesn't know this same info though?

If it's new info that is important for the child's safety, then the company would have issued a recall to update it, and all techs should be checking all seats for recalls anyway. This sort of information that you're talking about is more like, "well you can do this if you want, but if you don't do it then you're not compromising your child's safety." So if, for example, a tech didn't know about the Radian's retroactive 40# RF weight limit, or that the nautilus can be LATCHed in booster mode, it wouldn't really be a problem. If the PARENT was the one who knew and the tech didn't, then that's the sort of parent who has done their research anyway and could explain to the tech how they knew it was okay, kwim?

So, I don't really see it as a problem at all if a tech doesn't know about all these non-recall "updates."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC