So How Dangerous Are These Ideas?

cat mommy

So, on another forum, a mom was complaining about her kiddo escaping the car seat by moving the chest clip down. :thumbsdown: Other moms offered the following suggestions:

1. Put a safety pin in the harness strap underneath the chest clip so she cannot move it.

2. Add a second clip underneath the first one so it is harder to move down.

3. Replace it with a clip from another manufacturer that is harder to move.

4. Get a car seat with an overhead shield.

I can't imagine any of these fix its are a good idea. But, I'm just wondering how (and in what way during an accident) these do it yourself remedies would cause problems? I recommended she use velcro on the chest clip. I can only imagine how scary something like that would be!!!!!!

ADS

Baylor

So, on another forum, a mom was complaining about her kiddo escaping the car seat by moving the chest clip down. :thumbsdown: Other moms offered the following suggestions:

1. Put a safety pin in the harness strap underneath the chest clip so she cannot move it.

I can't imagine any of these fix its are a good idea. But, I'm just wondering how (and in what way during an accident) these do it yourself remedies would cause problems? I recommended she use velcro on the chest clip. I can only imagine how scary something like that would be!!!!!!

Okay Even as a Carseat Novice.. I can not see one great idea there?! give them a safety pin to try and play with??? Are they serious?! I have seen much better tips here to help.. Boy oh Boy..

sunnymw

Keep in mind I'm not a tech so I'm going on gut feelings only here.

While I'm inclined to say that this could damage the structural integrity of the harness, I keep thinking about those stupid tiny plastic things that are used to attach the registration form. Would *I* ever do this? Absolutely not. Not willing to take the risk.

No. IIRC there have been reports of abdominal injuries from a chest clip being positioned too low or over the belly.

I'd call this the least of the evils and while most manufacturers would frown on this, I probably wouldn't hesitate if I felt it would work. I absolutely considered it on my Radian because it is SO easy to open... I also considered removing the chest clip altogether (since a few manufacturers allow this and since his escaping problem was prompted by the chest clip hurting him).

No OHS seats are being phased out because they are not considered safe and have a high misuse rate.

A good alternative is to put a jacket/hoodie (thin) on the child and leave it unzipped. Buckle the child in w/ the hoodie pulled out of the harness in the front, then zip over the harness, eliminating all access to the chest clip and harness.

Also, you could put a babyleg/cut sock or similar over the "clip" portion of the chest clip.

Again all of these are against manufacturer recommendations (except the jacket one) so it would be a "lesser of the evils" parental decision type of thing.

jjordan

If the safety pin goes through the harness webbing, it can damage it.

A second clip could hit the child at a soft part of their abdomen, which could potentially be a problem in a crash.

Unless the manufacturer approves it, a different clip has not been tested with the seat and might not position the harness straps in the same way that the original clip did, which could potentially be a problem. (ETA: this might not be a terrible idea for certain situations - for example, radians used to have different chest clips, and someone with a new radian could probably use an old radian chest clip if they wanted. Also I think Sunshine Kids has said it is okay to use Britax chest clips with their seats - although, don't quote me on that! Just something I think I've heard.)

And overhead shield seats are troublesome because the kid's head can slam into the shield in a crash.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Provided the pin doesn't pop open (not like to kill, but ouch!), it may bend or break, and prevent the chest clip from moving down.

This misaligns the harness a bit, and prevents both clips from moving as they should. Also, the lower one, depending on where it's positioned, could cause slight to major injuries, depending on how its placed and the collision.

We don't have people here with impossible Evenflos and easy Britaxes, or vice versa. Nearly all of them move down fairly easily when shoved, which is what they're supposed to do. There isn't an unescapable seat. Otherwise we'd just recommend that seat for Houdinis.

I don't think they're made anymore (so you run the risk of a used seat/expired seat) and they're less safe.

Wendy

Baylor

I didn't even consider THAT aspect :thumbsup: my 4yo would poke his eyes out :rolleyes:

My son would work that until he got it out.. while it may save him from playing with the clip, I can only imagine what an open pin would be like in his power...
God forbid he was sitting next to his brother!

sunnymw

For a few weeks, we put the shoulder strap covers of the Radian BELOW the chest clip instead of above it. They were stiff enough that they didn't move (which then lead to him just unclipping the clip LOL)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC