What??? Expiration date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan

I took dd's Triumph out to wash the cover today and thought I'd double-check the manufacture date while I had it out, to verify how much longer we can use it. We bought it summer of 2003, and sure enough there is a sticker on the back that says, "Manufactured in 27 May 03". That means the seat should expire in May 2009, right??? Then I noticed that imprinted into the plastic it says, "Do not use this product after December 31, 2007" What the heck? That means we will only get 4 years out of this seat! What is going on? Do we really have to stop using it after this year? Anyone else experienced this?

Here is the sticker:
P1010139.jpg

And here is the part imprinted on the seat:
P1010143.jpg

ADS

CandCfam

I can't see it well enough, but are you sure it isn't 2009 stamped on there?
I believe Evenflo follows the December expiration of the 6th year past DOM.

Megan

I can't see it well enough, but are you sure it isn't 2009 stamped on there?
I believe Evenflo follows the December expiration of the 6th year past DOM.
Sorry I couldn't get a clear pic, but yeah, I checked and double-checked - it definitely says 2007.

southpawboston

eh, just call evenflo and get their "official" line on their expiration dates. i'd go by time elapsed from DOM rather than what's stamped for the expiration date.

Lara

Evenflo doesn't seem real consistant as far as expiration dates go, that's for sure!

My triumph is supposedly good for 9 years !! not that I'd ever use it that long.

Synchro246

Is the "do not use after" date on the base and the manufacture date on the shell? I'm wondering if maybe you managed to get an old base somehow. (or is that possible? I've only handled one triumph in real life and I can't really remember how it's constructed)

CRS

Senior Community Member
Yup, I totally know what you're talking about and it's no mistake. We have the same problem with a lot of restraints in New Zealand.

I contacted evenflo and this was their response:

"Some units recently sold in New Zealand were built from unused materials that were engraved with an expiry date that reflected when some of the parts were made, but not the year that the units were assembled."

Obviously this is the same problem you've encountered! The stamped expiry date does reflect when the pieces were manufactured, but the date of manufacture reflects when the seat was actually assembled. Whether you continue to use the seat or not past the stamped expiration date is up to you.

This was also said from evenflo:

We mould all our seat shells for car restraints a few months, at least, prior to assembly taking place. Unfortunately the engraved date, on these moulds, reflects the mould date, not the actual product manufacture/assembly date.
hence the DOM actually reflecting the day it was assembled, not manufactured.

And this is in regards to how to "fix" the "problem" of these seats with the same issue as yours:

This problem can be remedied, if warranted, by stickering over the engraved mould date with a label reading the date that is 7 years from date of purchase without compromise to the safety of the product.

Nutty huh!

Megan

Is the "do not use after" date on the base and the manufacture date on the shell?

Yes, "Do not use after..." is molded into the base, and the sticker with the manufacture date is on the shell.

Yup, I totally know what you're talking about and it's no mistake. We have the same problem with a lot of restraints in New Zealand.

Nutty huh!

I'll say! Thanks for the good info. So it sounds like I could still use the seat til 2009 (7 years from date of purchase/"assembly")? Seeing that 2007 date stamped there remains a bit disconcerting. I guess I will probably still contact Evenflo myself and see what they say.

southpawboston

Is the "do not use after" date on the base and the manufacture date on the shell? I'm wondering if maybe you managed to get an old base somehow. (or is that possible? I've only handled one triumph in real life and I can't really remember how it's constructed)

i was thinking the exact same thing!!! :) yes, they are on the shell and base, respectively.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
I have 2 Triumphs and mine are the same way. The stamp in the plastic says not to use after December 31, 2007, but the DOM sticker is March 2, 2004. Perhaps I need to give Evenflo a call as well since the CPST at our most recent safety check said the seat was only good until the end of this year. I already went ahead and ordered a new Decathalon for my son rationalizing my purchase because I thought the seat was only good for another few months. Oh well, I'm sure the Decathalon is a better seat anyway and now I can tether him RF now that I have turned him back around since he is only 27lbs. He needs a taller shell to continue RF anyway:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC