Allergy Moms HELP!!

MySillyKids

How long does it take for an 'allergy' to surface?

My 14 month old decided to eat his brothers PB&J, and he's never had PB before. He's got a milk/soy intolerance, and we are going for RAST testing soon, but i want to put him to bed and dont know if i can. He had the sandwich maybe an hour or so ago.

TIA!!

ADS

Megan

The first time my dd tasted peanut butter (at about 1 year old), she broke out in hives all around her mouth almost immediately.

Niea

If the allergy is severe, you'll see a reaction right away -- usually hives, swelling, or trouble breathing.

However, allergies don't always start off severe. The reaction could be mild at first -- so watch out over the next day or two see if there's any irritability, discomfort, rash, etc.

But if there's a reaction, however mild, be very, very careful. Allergies, particularly these kinds of allergies, tend to get progressively worse with each exposure. So a reaction of slight redness today can turn deadly during the next exposure.

In a child that has no known allergies with no family history of allergies, I wouldn't be so concerned about the sandwich if there was no apparent reaction. But, since your child already has known allergies, he's at greater risk of being allergic to other things and watching him for an ever-so-slight reaction is probably the best thing to do. And then the RAST testing will definitely help with that, too.

If you didn't notice anything after an hour, I say it's okay to put him to bed. If he had a moderate or severe reaction, you'd definitely know by now. But I'd definitely hold of on another exposure (as best you can, of course) until after the results of the RAST. And if you notice a mild reaction tomorrow, then definitely mention that to his allergist! :)

MySillyKids

If the allergy is severe, you'll see a reaction right away -- usually hives, swelling, or trouble breathing.

However, allergies don't always start off severe. The reaction could be mild at first -- so watch out over the next day or two see if there's any irritability, discomfort, rash, etc.

But if there's a reaction, however mild, be very, very careful. Allergies, particularly these kinds of allergies, tend to get progressively worse with each exposure. So a reaction of slight redness today can turn deadly during the next exposure.

In a child that has no known allergies with no family history of allergies, I wouldn't be so concerned about the sandwich if there was no apparent reaction. But, since your child already has known allergies, he's at greater risk of being allergic to other things and watching him for an ever-so-slight reaction is probably the best thing to do. And then the RAST testing will definitely help with that, too.

If you didn't notice anything after an hour, I say it's okay to put him to bed. If he had a moderate or severe reaction, you'd definitely know by now. But I'd definitely hold of on another exposure (as best you can, of course) until after the results of the RAST. And if you notice a mild reaction tomorrow, then definitely mention that to his allergist! :)

Thank you!

I'll have to watch him. My 3 year old decided to do this:

IMG_0263.jpg

After he was done eating. I had to choose what was better to deal with first. I figured my 14 month old wasnt in as much danger as my 3 year old. Eeek.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC