First day of CPST class

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Phew! One day is over with. We covered a lot of information - the first 4 modules at least. We did hands-on stuff with seatbelts and they picked my (filthy) car as one for the demo (!)

I'm the only person in the class who is "just a mom" and not there because I have to be for my job. Everyone else is a firefighter, cop, nurse or daycare worker - many of them aren't even parents. There are about 25 of us. But I think one woman might drop out. She got called away for 1/2 the day today because she's a cop and the court needed her for one of her cases. She missed a lot, and she has no hands-on experience to fall back on because she doesn't have kids. I wonder how she'll do.

I'm trying to bite my tongue a lot of the time and not jump to answer every question. But I did learn a few things today, despite my know-it-all tendencies ;)

The instructors aren't all that big on extended harnessing and ext. RF. They cover ext. RF because it's in the materials. There are 5 of them, and I think some believe in it more than others. One, in particular, seems fine with the minimum. And another is big on ext. RF, but keeps implying that HWH seats are only for special needs kids. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is our first skills test on seat belt identification. I was nervous about that before today, but I think I have it down now that I've seen all the different types in real life.

ADS

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I totally understand what you're saying. I think we were in the same class!!

The head guy was all about minimums and didn't even touch on how the Radian or Britaxes could be tethered RFing. He simply said "we really don't see too many of these anyways so were not going to spend any time on it". He said the same thing about a switchable latch plates. He justified it as only "higher end" cars like Volvos have them and he's never actually installed one. :rolleyes:

Everyone in the class was "making fun" of the demo Husky saying that they were going to buy one for their boss or something b/c it was so huge. Of course everyone got a good laugh until they went into my car and actually saw it installed.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
Some things to remember: the current curriculum covers RF to 1 yr and 20 pounds... some instructors just teach the curriculum because they want the students to pass the test. When I teach, we talk about the minimums and mention that is what the curriculum says and what we be on the test, and then we mention 'new information' since the curriculum has been developed and talk about extended RF. There are several things that will seem out-of-date, but on the test that way... Hopefully, the new curriculum, out in June, will take care of these differences.

Just a little info for ya...:D

Tracy
CPST/I
Amarillo, TX

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Some things to remember: the current curriculum covers RF to 1 yr and 20 pounds... some instructors just teach the curriculum because they want the students to pass the test. When I teach, we talk about the minimums and mention that is what the curriculum says and what we be on the test, and then we mention 'new information' since the curriculum has been developed and talk about extended RF. There are several things that will seem out-of-date, but on the test that way... Hopefully, the new curriculum, out in June, will take care of these differences.

Just a little info for ya...:D

Thank you Tracy. I wish I could be in your class! Your point became very clear today when I mentioned the SS1 as an option for a 25 lb. 10 month old and got an eye roll and a huff from one of the instructors :eek: . I guess I offended her, but they have one in their demo collection and IMHO it's sold at our local Target so we're bound to see one at some point. So I spent a little bit of time being humble and asking for advice when we did practice installations ;)

Today they also talked about Britax being the only seat that can be tethered RF and I bit my tongue even though I'd talked with one of the instructors yesterday about Radians. But she'd never seen one IRL, so she didn't bring it up. Yesterday one of the instructors also made a point to tell us how unreliable the information on message boards is :rolleyes:

I really wish we were using the new curriculum :( I keep telling myself that I just need to pass the test.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC