booster video

pj2rc

Are there any videos showing the dangers of putting the seatbelt behind the child? I just commented on FB that a friend's child "forgot his seat belt" (which I could see barely tucked behind him. She responded it was there but behind him so it didn't rub his neck. Also any recommendations for how you politely explain the error w/o pissing people off. I'm going to offer her to use the Airplan TB I have in my closest to see if he likes that better. (he's a tiny 6 yr old w/ a 4 or 5 yr old sister, both in no backs). I'd like to pm her some info

ADS

Mae

It's essentially the same thing as a booster with a lap only belt, which is strictly prohibited.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KXZQu4niA"]YouTube - booster lap only[/ame]

aeormsby

This is a side by side of a child in a booster with a shoulder belt and one with a lap only (which is what you get if you put the shoulder belt behind). And if the shoulder belt is rubbing the neck than the booster needs to be adjusted (or use a HBB if they're only using a LBB)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KXZQu4niA"]YouTube - booster lap only[/ame]

ETA - I wasn't fast enough :)

Mae

Also, if they are moving the belt because it's rubbing his neck, then there's the problem right there. The belt is too close to his neck. This is why we want it to lay in the middle of the chest; Too close to the neck? Child puts it behind them. Too close to the edge of the shoulder? It could possibly slide off.

If he's in a NBB, they should use the seat belt positioner, or move him into a HBB.

ETA: I wasn't fast enough on my second round, either. :p

pj2rc

Also, if they are moving the belt because it's rubbing his neck, then there's the problem right there. The belt is too close to his neck. This is why we want it to lay in the middle of the chest; Too close to the neck? Child puts it behind them. Too close to the edge of the shoulder? It could possibly slide off.

If he's in a NBB, they should use the seat belt positioner, or move him into a HBB.

ETA: I wasn't fast enough on my second round, either. :p

I know, that's why I'm going to offer my HBB to try, but wanted some info to back up wh they shouldn't be moving the belt. thanks!!

pj2rc

Well I sent her a note. I didn't link the video. I told her car seat safety is my "bug" and I just want to make sure everyone is safe and if the belt was rubbing DS's neck it didnt' fit right. There should be a belt adjuster w/ her LBB or she could try my spare HBB. I said if she wanted more info on why it wasn't safe, I'd be happyto share. She responded that she was so glad that I cared enough tp say something. The pic was from a few months ago and DS had had a growth spurt and the belt no longer rubbed and he was riding properly now. :D

Baylor

Well I sent her a note. I didn't link the video. I told her car seat safety is my "bug" and I just want to make sure everyone is safe and if the belt was rubbing DS's neck it didnt' fit right. There should be a belt adjuster w/ her LBB or she could try my spare HBB. I said if she wanted more info on why it wasn't safe, I'd be happyto share. She responded that she was so glad that I cared enough tp say something. The pic was from a few months ago and DS had had a growth spurt and the belt no longer rubbed and he was riding properly now. :D

That is great that she was so open to it! Good for you~

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC