Just went to get my carseats checked

aeormsby

Our local fire dept does checks the 2nd Wed of the month (yes, they're all certified). The main reason I went was to drop of 3 infant seats (that I picked up in a parking lot donation area) for the local carseat recycling program.

The guy checking my seats was pretty impressed. Asked who installed the Frontier because it was in so tight. He wanted to switch DD's seat to seatbelt instead of latch since she is 38lb (Saturn has a 48lb latch limit I believe, but I was fine with switching it). I hadn't actually installed it with seatbelt before and it went in great with LBP - and as I was installing it he mentioned I should become a tech. :D Asked how old DS was (still RF in a Marathon). He's almost 3 but only 28lb and the MA has a 33lb RF limit. He said fine, at that age he's safe either way, if he's not complaining about RF then great, he's safer that way.

And as the other tech (who was helping someone else when we got there) was taking away the old infant seats he was happy to hear I rescued them from a donation bin. And he asked if I had cut the straps or if the were that way. I said I did because someone wanted to use the chest clips for a stroller or high chair (some one here was looking for some a while ago). I mentioned they went to another carseat geek so not to worry about them being used on a carseat again. He asked if it was someone local and I said I sent them to someone on a message board - he asked it if was c-s.org :thumbsup:

So, I was pretty impressed. I hadn't had my seats checked since we first put DD's infant seat in our truck when I was pg. I feel better about recommending people/friends locally get their seats checked after having a positive experience.

ADS

aeormsby

There's no one on the contact list for techs anywhere close to me. And both the techs there were guys and I know there aren't too many guys on the site. I was impressed though :thumbsup:

And they let the kids check out the fire truck when we were done too since there wasn't anyone else waiting for carseat checks.

Baylor

That is cool! I was so nervous about the car seat check but Monstah was awesome! When I left I felt confident about installing my seats and just general information I needed. I love that she checked each of the seats to make sure they were assembled correctly.

It is a great experience. I am assuming that on a car inspection day to the public, It is often not so much time per person?

Mae

I am assuming that on a car inspection day to the public, It is often not so much time per person?

Generally, no. It just depends on the location and how busy the check is.

There was a check that I worked a couple weeks ago when we only had about 11 cars in 4 hours. :eek: Let's just say that each car had plenty of time.

Individual checks can take over an hour, while public checks are often (when busy) 15 minutes or so, per car.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I may spend an hour with people at a public check. Depends if I'm there by myself, if someone above me is hurrying me along, etc. Heck, first car this weekend was nearly 75 minutes, and I got a hug at the end. :)

Wendy

Baylor

It must make y'all feel good to know that another child is in a good seat and restrained properly.. Especially if they pulled up.. well not..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC