Blast from the past -old car seat and stroller

MamaRia

Old slide scans from my Grandfather. I totally remember this car seat. All it did was sit you up higher so you could look out the window. No idea how it was stable in the car - perhaps that's what the seat belt was for? It would raise up over my head and the crotch strap would hold it down. No idea if there was a strap inside (of so did we even use it?) or if there was even a head rest! Not a great photo but all I have. I am sitting her with my Grandma. I was about 3. This is 1970.
12-11-2009_042.jpg

Also, I had a rockin' stroller. I loved that thing. Wish I still had it! I can remember sitting in it, walking to the Mall and watching the ground thru the metal slats.
And wow, I was even strapped in! Photo taken in Solvang - 1968.
12-9-2009_021.jpg

A full image here. It did have a canopy but apparently my parents took it off. Fwiw, this picture was taken in 1970 at Marina Del Rey!
The grate my feet were on would raise up and pull forward - so legs were supported if I fell asleep.
I have many more photos of the stroller, just not any of the car seat!
12-10-2009_051.jpg

Enjoy - just thought this would be fun!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nifty...wish I could find some of me in similar gear...I remember playing in my stroller in the back yard barefoot and the metal slats were a bit of a pain on the toes when I would climb in and out of the seat :D

Baylor

Cute pics!! It looks like your parents were doing everything they could to make you safe and comfy!

Mugsmom

That pic with your grandma is so sweet! Thanks for posting, that was interesting. I also enjoyed seeing Marina del Rey before it became high rise condos!

Somewhere my mom has a picture of me in my stroller. I'm a newborn (1978), and it's an umbrella stroller that is really bare bones, just a hammock of thin cloth between two poles, with some wheels thrown on. I'm pretty much just curled up in a ball at the bottom of it. Never had a carseat that I can remember. :rolleyes:

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My mom had the double version of that stroller for my brother and sister. I remember it being yellow and green flowered and the sunshade had a rockin' fringe, lol. :p

scootiemom

My parents had the same stroller for me. It was a chambray blue with red gingham and fringe. When my sister came along I was demoted to some add on seat made out of metal and some kind of thin, smooth wood that attached to the back. I remember selling it at a garage sale in the early 80s.

MamaRia

That pic with your grandma is so sweet! Thanks for posting, that was interesting. I also enjoyed seeing Marina del Rey before it became high rise condos!

Somewhere my mom has a picture of me in my stroller. I'm a newborn (1978), and it's an umbrella stroller that is really bare bones, just a hammock of thin cloth between two poles, with some wheels thrown on. I'm pretty much just curled up in a ball at the bottom of it. Never had a carseat that I can remember. :rolleyes:

We used to go to Marina Del Rey quite a lot - haven't been there in years as I live in Colorado now.

I babysat for a girl born in 1979 and she had an umbrella stroller. Why I remember it is beyond me. Vinyl sling seat, double back wheels, single non-swivel front wheels and you could hear the thing a mile away (hard plastic wheels). For some reason these things were all the rage - no thought to how comfy it was for the baby?! This same baby I'd hold on my lap in the car (with one of her parents driving) so - eh, no car seat!

MamaRia

My parents had the same stroller for me. It was a chambray blue with red gingham and fringe. When my sister came along I was demoted to some add on seat made out of metal and some kind of thin, smooth wood that attached to the back. I remember selling it at a garage sale in the early 80s.

Oh yes the fringe! Yes, mine had it too! Seriously that was one well made stroller - and I loved it.

classicseats

Oh wow! Yeah I can kind of see the name on my car seat. Do you have ANY idea how it stayed stable in the car? I assume you weaved the seat belt at the bottom somewhere...:confused:

Some of this style seat had the car lap belt thread through the metal frame of the seat. Others like my siggy photo, you actually had to thread the lap belt through two loops at the bottom of the seats shoulder straps! I think most people just used these so their kid could see out the window, LOL! I had one similar to yours when I was little, born in 68.

Shaunam

My mom had a car seat like that for my brother. At least that's what she described to me. It matches her description perfectly though. She said all it did was keep him from roaming the car. It didn't actually restrain him. She had better car seats by the time I came along. :thumbsup:

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
So fun to look at that, how far we've come! I always wonder if in 30 years our kids will be looking back and laughing at what we thought was safe. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC