My 1997 Subaru retrofit saga

DebinD

I thought I would post this here for anyone looking in the future...
We have a 1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan. I asked on here and found out I can't tether the RF seats without retrofiting the anchors. So I ordered the anchors from Subaru -they cost $20 a pop.
We then tried to attach the anchors ourselves. We ran into some problems despite some great help from this board, but we could not find the bolts attach the anchors to. So I made an appt at the dealership...

According to my dealer guy...the 1997 year was a split year - half of the subarus (the ones made in Canada) have the bolts and an easy retrofit. The other half require a major retrofit -something about welding bolts on or something for the anchors to be attached to. Of course we fall in option B. HE said that the Canadian 1997 are more like the 1998 specs and the US 1997 are more like the 1996 specs. So it will take 4+hrs and abut $250

Not sure if this is a bunch of hooey but that's what they told me.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm sorry you've had such grief. :( I'm confused though as to why you need tether bolts installed for RF seats. :confused: Maybe there's something specific to the Subarus I'm unaware of, but unless you're planning on Australian-style tethering (straps go over the front of the carseat to the rear seat back,) you don't need a 'real' tether point for RF tethers; you just need a stable point towards the front of the vehicle to attach your tether too. (Often the front seat track, or where the front seat belts attach to the vehicle.) The seats that allow RF tethers (not all do) come with a D-ring to facilitate that.

You will need 'real' tether anchors for FF seats though. :)

(Sorry if this is all old news to you. :eek:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC