The Amazing Shrinking Torso

Evolily

C has one. As in, some days it feels like he has 1/2 an inch above his shoulders, other days it feels like he has 2+ inches. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, maybe. If he sleeps, though, he seems to have oddles of growing room.

Anyone else notice this with their kids? It just has to do with how they choose to sit that day, and shouldn't be a safety issue? I mean, either way his harness is snug, it isn't tightened or loosed very often.

ADS

Mae

If you didn't alter the install, then it's the way he's sitting. He probably has his bottom scooted out of the little crack in the car seat (I guess you could call it the car seat's bight?).

As far as it being a safety concern? Well, every manual that I've encountered says to be sure that the child is scooted all the way back so there isn't a gap in that "bight".

But, on the other hand, I don't know exactly *how* important it is. Obviously important enough to be put in a manual though. I just ... don't know. :shrug-shoulders:

Evolily

But then, if I can buckle him in fully scooted back, and then he falls asleep and gains more space? I mean, I'm good, but I'm not sure how to prevent that without gluing him to the seat.

AtTheSouthDam

DD2 does that too. She is squishing herself against the buckle and I can get my hand behind her.
Mae is right that all manuals are against that but I think most of them claim comfort reason. It's really not that comfortable to sit with your back curved like that.
Honestly, I don't worry about it too much when it happens. The harness is still tight and the child is still secure.

Laurette

That happens with my DS, from day to day he has varrying amounts of growth room in his Nauti. Kids aren't reliable in the way they sit, so I don't give it too much thought.

amelia222

This happens with my dd too! Sometimes she is just barely above the second slots, sometimes she's above the third. I figure since she's rf I will just keep the straps on the lower of two slots, but its strange. With her it seems to be a combination of what pants she's wearing, cloth or disposable diaper, how's sitting, and probably a million other little things.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC