My ds rode in a booster for the first time yesterday...

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I still haven't decided what booster I want to buy him for occasional rides in dad's car (a dodge charger...he rides in a Marathon in our Saturn Relay), but had a couple boosters sitting around. Dh took the Relay to work yesterday and didn't take out the seats, so I put ds in one of the boosters I had (A Cosco high back something or another). He is almost 5 years old and 40 pounds and he did not fit very well in this booster. It wasn't horrible, but not a good enough fit for me to feel comfortable. There's no way a much smaller kid could fit well in this booster---yet I know people do it all the time. :thumbsdown:

DSC04311.jpg

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What a cutie! How big is he? My almost 3yr old looks the same size as him, LOL! Oh, I just re-read your siggy, and he is quite a bit bigger then my 2.5yr old, he just looks so tiny in that booster; my how pictures can be decieving! So how did he do for the ride? Did he sit ok? I would be okay using a booster at that age for occasional use, have you tried the Parkway? It might fit him a bit better.

easterbun

I've never been a fan of the cosco boosters (or cosco combination seats) since the belt just doesn't "fit" the child as securely as it does with other styles... maybe it's nit picking on my part, but they seem to give the kid too much room to wiggle around.

nisi

Senior Community Member
Cute kid! But no, not a very good fit. It could just be the picture, but the lap belt looks awfully high. I'd use it in a pinch if I had nothing else, but definitely not on a regular basis.

If you're looking for a good spare booster, I've found the Compass B500 to be a good fit on smaller booster-age kids. Plus the folding feature is handy. I haven't tried the newer B510, but I would assume it fits the same.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Ya--he looks tiny in the seat, but he's not really that tiny! I see way smaller kids than him in boosters all the time :( . I won't use it with my ds again. We were "only" driving down the street yesterday or I wouldn't have used it at all.

I really want to get a booster because he will need one in a year (probably---he's getting closer to the top slots on the MA) and his rides are VERY occasional in dad's car (like once every couple months) and just a 5 minute or less drive.

I've been debating over the Parkway, Turbobooster, and Compass. I can't seem to decide which one I like better! It depends on who you ask as to what answer you get. Each one has it's own pros and cons.

He did GREAT in the seat, though! When he first got in, he thought it was "so cool" that he could lean over and touch his sister, but I explained that it wasn't safe and the shoulder belt needed to be across his shoulder and he was vigilant about it--kept checking himself to make sure it was in the right spot. It was a really short car ride though. He's definitely not ready for longer rides.

scatterbunny

Yes, it really isn't a great fit. :( The lapbelt DOES look very high, and I don't like the way those shoulderbelt guides hold the shoulderbelt, either.

He is SO cute, though!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just in case you didn't get it from the posts above, :p I am going to restate the obvious again--

Your son is adorable!!!!

Oh, yeah, I agree that the Cosco booster wasn't a good fit for him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC