my husband thinks I am insane...

amy&girls

When I dropped the car off at the shop to get fixed, I took the Nautilus out. (Being that the 2 boosters and the scenera are all worth what I spent on the Nauti, I left them. I also left the EFTA, being that its 3yrs old, I wasn't *too* worried about it. We've only had the Nauti since March). He asked why I was taking it out and I said I didn't want something to happen to it. He thought I was nuts. :eek: I guess I am a little overprotective of the Nautilus, aren't I? :whistle: On the plus side, it only took a few days to fix my car, and my husband happened to be off those days, so I while I had my moms car to use, I didn't end up needing to transport anyone in it!!! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I was putting the seat back in the car this morning, and I was doing some rearranging, hoping to find a better way to get my seats in there. I've got to watch my almost 2yr old closely once I move her to the Scenera (only seat that will fit in the 3 across in my van that I own) when our baby comes in March. And option A will be leave the EFTA where it is or store the EFTA in the basement for a year or so (which seems wasteful, I might sell it, I don't know) and use the SafeSeat1 we have... Decisions, decisions. Its nice to use the bucket at first, and by the time I'd be tired of the bucket, it would be approaching freezing and below temps outside... WWYD?

ADS

babyherder

I generally take all my seats out when my car goes into the shop. No guarantee they'll be handled gently when I'm not watching.

krasota

I take kiddo's seat out, but for a different reason. I clean the car out of clutter (books, pillows, newspapers, spare change) before it goes into the shop. I pick it up by myself (get a ride or take the bus), then I take my emptied-out vehicle to the car wash and have it washed, vacuumed, wiped down, etc.

skylinphoto

I try to take my seats out because you have no idea what will be done to them. In the past I've had the uninstalled when it wasnt necessary. Also, with RFing seats, it's almost certain that someone will push the front seat ALLLLLL the way back and ruin your install. lol.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I trust my mechanic with every ounce of my kids' being... I never take my seats out unless I will need them in another vehicle while mine is at the shop.

If it were the local Chrysler dealership though...I would either remove them, or double check them before leaving. I don't trust them as far as I could throw them! :whistle:

CommMom

Senior Community Member
My DH thinks I'm crazy because I take EVERYTHING out of the car before taking it in for work. :shrug-shoulders: If it isn't bolted to the car, it probably comes out. So yeah, my car seat comes out, I take the money out of the consol (usually will leave the small change, but that's it), GPS, satellite radio, umbrellas, etc. I empty the trunk too.

My dad always made me do that when I was a teen. If any car in our family had to go in for work, it went empty. Clearly, this made an impression on me because I will worry constantly if I don't take everything out before sending the car someplace. :eek: DH says nobody is going to break or steal my stuff...I'm not so sure, lol.

babyherder

I trust my mechanic. But I don't think he's up to date on car seat knowledge. He would never hurt my seats on purpose but he probably isn't aware of how to treat them.

Baylor

I trust my guy too.. It is the other people I don't trust. If my car is there over night the seats come out. AT present my to Nautilus's are my only seats.. one a child so I am super protective of them.

DahliaRW

I don't because usually I'm waiting for my van and no way on earth I'm lugging 3 seats around while I wait! My shop has never moved my front seat around either - they are really good!

Kayleen

I would have removed all of them most likely... Thankfully I only have one seat in each vehicle, but depending on what needed to be done, I most likely will take the seat out just to make sure it doesn't get damaged/dirty/etc in any way.

momma2kda

I trust my mechanic enough to leave my seats in the car when he has my car. But I also trust him to be my room mate :ROTFLMAO:. But other mechanics? No I take all my seats out!

Also when he has my car it is not left at his shop at night! He drives it to work and I have his car for emergencys.

Kat_Momof3

I take all my seats out... and try to generally remove anything that doesn't have to stay in the car... because they're gonna be working on it and it makes them not have to worry as much about getting anything dirty, where to put things, and they don't have to worry about uninstalling and then possibly trying to reinstall my seats.

Now that all my kids are in seatbelt/boosters, it's easier, but even when it was winter and I had 3 huge harnessed seats, I did it because at the VERY least, I didn't want them coming to the point of needing to remove and put back in my seats... and me not knowing they did it (and then of course it probably wouldn't be done right)

amelia222

I will definitely take my radian out when my car goes to the shop next time. They're not getting their greasy mechanic hands on it!

I usually drive the car there and wait with the kids in the waiting room, and can watch in the window so I never take them out.. I had to take them out the time the minivan blew the transmission cause I had to transport the kids home.

I just assume that they are not going to go drive the car into things and then return it to you.. but I never thought about it.

amelia222

I just remembered this, some thing to think about. My friend had her minivan in to get the brakes done 4 days before her scheduled induction. Some guy at the shop accidentally hit the gas instead of the brakes and backed her van into a wall :doh:

So in those days she should have been resting and getting things ready for a new baby she had to deal with getting a new seat for her 2yo, and fighting with insurance to cover the cost of a new seat, on top of everything else.

emtb79

Well I just got 2 "new to me" Regents and 1 was installed in my mom's car. She took it to the dealership to get stuff done. I pulled in the parking lot to take her to get her car and looked over and there was her car with what looked like a huge box in the back seat. They had uninstalled the seat when they had it and it was installed with the long belt path.

momma2kda

I will definitely take my radian out when my car goes to the shop next time. They're not getting their greasy mechanic hands on it!

My mechanic knows that if he takes my seat out he does not drop it, touch the straps, or buckle it back in the car himself. Same goes for if he takes it out of his car!

Kobain's Mommy

I've only had my car in to get the CD player replace (it was under warranty and died). I just left the seat in the back seat. They have no reason to be in the back seat if they are working on something in the front seat.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I've only had my car in to get the CD player replace (it was under warranty and died). I just left the seat in the back seat. They have no reason to be in the back seat if they are working on something in the front seat.

:yeahthat: Why would they be in the car, unless it was a seat belt replacement or something in the cabin of the vehicle? I mean, my guy drives it in, pops the hood or whatever and drives it back out. He is never even near my seats :confused:

cat mommy

I'm a bit confused about why they need to remove car seats that are in the back seat? Why can't they just leave them alone?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC