Question Front seat for 8 year old?

mlohry

So, I know this is usually frowned upon, but there may be a time when our 8 year old might have to ride up front in our 04 Odyssey with smart air bags. I am going to start doing daycare for my twin nieces and I have 3 kids of my own. My nieces will be 3 mos in the new safeseats or whatever they are called now, that go to 35 lbs RF. I will use them without bases, since it will just be twice a week. I might also start watching a one year old. I don't know what seat he would be in yet. I drive my oldest to and from school, so it would be for a very short time that he would need to ride in the front for a very short distance, about 2 miles on side roads. He is in a TB HB. What would you do?

ADS

andre149

I would not trust the smart airbags, the only kind that I would consider using the front seat with would be the ones you physically turn off (with a key)... and that's only if I had a ff harnessed child I could put in the front seat. Sorry, but I'd try to find alternate transportation for someone.

Angela

I would only put a child in the front seat in an emergency situation. They are so much safer in the back. If you would HAVE to put one of those children in the front, I would put your six year old there harnessed in the GN with the seat pushed all the way back. I agree with the PP's though and I wouldn't suggest taking more children than you can safely transport in the rear seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is there a booster that's allowed to be used in an airbag position? Does the sensor making the airbag go off mean it's actually NOT an airbag position? Is there any law against kids riding in the front seat in your state (usually that's out the window when every other seat is being used in the back, though). Would you be able to closely monitor him to make sure he sits back and properly positioned? Would he understand this is only a one time thing--to school and back---, that the front seat is basically taboo for anyone under age 15 (yeah, statistically, 15 is when airbags STOP causing injury and start protecting... I've bent a little and let my 13 yo ride in the front, sigh). And most importantly, will you be able to maintain your sanity getting all those kids in and out of the car? :eek::whistle::love:

mlohry

I will see what I can do to come up with spots for everyone. It is very tentative that will watch the 3rd child anyway. Thanks for the help.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have on very rare occasions (emergencies) put my 8yo up front. He rides in his LBB with the seat pushed all the way back. If you cannot push the front seat all the way back with the SR35, then no way.
I would try to come up with a solution that does not require a child in the front if at all possible though.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In agreement that in an emergency, the 6yo should be harnessed up front -- but that it would be best to avoid the situation by not taking more kids than can be transported safely.

Kat_Momof3

I agree.. I'd definitely figure out an arrangement that would allow one child's seat to be on that 8th seat.

That solves the problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC