Aftermarket products?

AnnaC

Okay, so we all know that using aftermarket products with car seats is a huge no-no. But what if they're made by a car seat company(say Graco or SKJP)? I would think they would crash test them, but I guess you never know.

And I've heard(here- lol) that the Mighty Tite is a horrible, horrible idea. So I was surprised to find out that it's made by SKJP! What gives? Shouldn't a car seat company know better???

ADS

Baylor

Okay, so we all know that using aftermarket products with car seats is a huge no-no. But what if they're made by a car seat company(say Graco or SKJP)? I would think they would crash test them, but I guess you never know.

And I've heard(here- lol) that the Mighty Tite is a horrible, horrible idea. So I was surprised to find out that it's made by SKJP! What gives? Shouldn't a car seat company know better???

Isn't that Interesting... You would think. That is the stuff that makes me plain mad...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Once you realize that carseat companies are out to make a buck, not make every child as safe as possible, you can reconcile this in your mind. People will buy mighty tites left and right. Ergo, SK will make them and sell them. In fact, that came first. The Radian came far second. SK's only been making carseats for five years.

Wendy

nevaehsmommy

We had to cut a seat belt off my car seat after the mighty tight got wound up wrong. I did not know any better and yeah I thought a car seat company makes it...they must know better

AnnaC

Once you realize that carseat companies are out to make a buck, not make every child as safe as possible, you can reconcile this in your mind. People will buy mighty tites left and right. Ergo, SK will make them and sell them. In fact, that came first. The Radian came far second. SK's only been making carseats for five years.

Wendy

Ugh. Are there any decent people in the world anymore??? They make enough off their car seats- do they really have to make MORE money making their seats unsafe???

Five years, really? Wow that's not very long.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm sure they're decent people. If they go out of business then a plant in China closes and people don't have jobs. Their Sumner, WA office closes and those people are out of a job. You can't have a business if you don't make a buck. So if they don't make money they can't do more research. But I don't think they are in the carseat world for the warm fuzzies. I'm sure it's because there's a lot of money to be made there.

The Radians were first out 10/05. I had one of the very first, I preordered it and the store owner and I opened it together so she could see one as well. The story goes, an engineer/designer for Britax came up with the idea and took it to Britax, who said no. So he went shopping and SK said yes. That's how they got into the carseat world. It kind of fell in their laps. They were making all sorts of accessories and other things before that.

Other companies I don't know as well. I don't think Graco makes aftermarket products that make us cringe, though. Or Britax, Evenflo, or anyone.

Wendy

AnnaC

Interesting that they were making the other products before they started making the seats.

And I'm definitely for them making money. We all need money to live. I just think we could use a lot more ethical people in the world. And I don't just mean car seat companies- formula companies in particular are one of the big offenders in my book. :thumbsdown:

The Radians were first out 10/05. I had one of the very first, I preordered it and the store owner and I opened it together so she could see one as well. The story goes, an engineer/designer for Britax came up with the idea and took it to Britax, who said no. So he went shopping and SK said yes. That's how they got into the carseat world. It kind of fell in their laps. They were making all sorts of accessories and other things before that.

Oh how cool. You must have been so excited. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC