Answer from Graco about Harness covers on Nautlius..

Baylor

Response (LuAnn S.) 11/08/2010 10:26 AM
There is no weight limit for the Nautilus with the harness covers. The harness strap covers on the Nautilus Elite should not be used when the child is over 40lbs. Thank you for checking.

So I guess we are good. They can stay as long as the harness is used except in the Elite.

ADS

ownedbyhorses

That is wierd. I believe (will have to look) it says something in the manual of mine about it, and I don't have an elite. Plus I put a call in a few mths back and they told me to remove the harness covers. I would talk to someone else there to make sure. I will get my manual out shortly.

Baylor

That is wierd. I believe (will have to look) it says something in the manual of mine about it, and I don't have an elite. Plus I put a call in a few mths back and they told me to remove the harness covers. I would talk to someone else there to make sure. I will get my manual out shortly.

I asked about both my GNs. One is from 2008 and one is from 2010.

It is not in either of my manuals.
It is hard when you don't get consistent information...
But I am okay with leaving them on now.

ctbcleveland

The skeptic in me says that someone forgot to leave them on during the crash test and that might be the only difference in why they can be left on or not based on models. They just seem so inconsequential in terms of the seat.

Cryssy Jane

Interesting. I did have my mom look it up in her manual (2009) and she claims it said something about taking harness covers off, but by the time I talked to her she couldn't remember the page number she saw it on.

ETA: I have also talked to customer service and was told to remove at 40lbs in all models.

Baylor

Interesting. I did have my mom look it up in her manual (2009) and she claims it said something about taking harness covers off, but by the time I talked to her she couldn't remember the page number she saw it on.

ETA: I have also talked to customer service and was told to remove at 40lbs in all models.

I don't think that includes the Nautilus that is made to carry harnessed kids to 65lbs. Anyway. That is the answer that I got yesterday.

ETA>> 65lbs.. Sorry.. My glasses are on the fritz.

Last edited:

HayleyCPST

What makes the difference between the GNE and the regular GN to where you have to remove the covers at 40lbs?? I didn't think there were any structural differences. Just the lock offs and head support.

skylinphoto

I personally dont think that the CS people for most carseat companies know what they're talking about...

We all get different answers...
10 people can call and we end up with 10 different answers.

rachelandtyke

I don't think that includes the Nautilus that is made to carry harnessed kids to 45lbs. Anyway. That is the answer that I got yesterday.

There is a nauti that only harnesses to 45? Is that in Canada or something? I thought they all harnessed to 65 lbs . . .

NannyMom

I have a 2010 Nautilus sitting here for a friend. It has a manual, with a 2008 date on the back (I suppose that was when they last updated it). I didn't see any warning about not using the harness covers.

I just pulled out my manual as DS's seat is sitting in here waiting to be put back in thevan. Nowhere does it say anything about removing the covers.

Pixels

What makes the difference between the GNE and the regular GN to where you have to remove the covers at 40lbs?? I didn't think there were any structural differences. Just the lock offs and head support.

Maybe some padding difference as well. I believe we were told that the head excursion was too high with the harness covers on. This is a perfect example of why making an unauthorized, seemingly inconsequential change to the seat could have a negative consequence.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC