Rental car for three across + flying SWA question

BrookeSLP

In July, we will be flying to Baltimore on Southwest. My oldest will be nearly 5 and right at 40lbs -- can I still put her in her MA on the plane? Also, we will be buying a ticket for the baby, 8 months in July. Does anyone know if Southwest offers discounts for babies? Finally, the rental car. We'd planned on getting a van, but after searching last night, they are really hard to come by. Avis, Hertz and Enterprise listed their vans as taken for July already. Any suggestions for a car that might fit three MAs across (two FF, on RF)? Maybe an Impala?

Thanks folks!

ADS

Dillipop

For flying, southwest is awesome for letting you preboard and get situated. Definitely take the marathon for the 5 year old and use it on the plane. This way you don't need to check it. Southwest does offer infant discounts, but they are 1/2 the cost of their most expensive seat. So, if you are getting a good deal online, the infant seat won't be half of that. We usually wait until seats go to 99 one way when we fly to utah and just pay the internet price. If we paid the infant price, it is 149, so more than their internet prices.

No idea on cars, though.

Ali

When we flew last summer on Southwest they told DH about this "great" plan for kids under 2. They hold the seat for you, then at 30 min before boarding you go talk to them: if there are multiple seats available, they release the hold and you don't have to pay for the seat. If there are few to no seats available, you pay for the seat (at the highest price). We did this on the leg to our destination and it was such a hassle that we just paid for the seat on the return leg.

You don't know until the last minute if you have to pay for the seat, you have to get in line at the last minute, etc.

It would have been cheaper to book the seat with the Internet fare. We ended up paying MORE for DD's flight back than we did for ours round trip.

I guess if you knew you were flying at an off time or season it would be worth it.

teekadog

My MIL has an Impala. I've put both our MAs in it, and there was plenty of room left for a 3rd passenger, though I didn't have an extra car seat to try fitting there.

twokidstwodogs

In July, we will be flying to Baltimore on Southwest. My oldest will be nearly 5 and right at 40lbs -- can I still put her in her MA on the plane? Also, we will be buying a ticket for the baby, 8 months in July. Does anyone know if Southwest offers discounts for babies?

I fly SWA all the time. Dillipop is right about the discount; it's rarely useful unless you are flying last minute and all the great internet fares are gone.

As for the MA, you can put her in it, but you might run into legroom issues. We started flying with DD#1 in her Marathon when she had just turned three, since she had outgrown her RA by height and almost by weight. (She was 97th percentile or more for both at the time.) But then we started running into problems with her legs. The additional height of the restraint means that the child's legs are that much closer to the seat in front of you, since the seats are angled back. That presents problems about kicking, though that would be better with a nearly 5 y.o. than with a 3 y.o. Also, you cannot use her tray table at all. It's doable, but she may not be that comfortable if she's taller than, say, 43-44 inches. We eventually started using the lap belt only on the plane and carrying on a Safeguard Go for use at the destination. That worked quite well, but then, our daughter was solidly over 40 lbs at the time.

If you do use the seat, carry a copy of the FAA recommendation that children under 40 lbs be properly restrained. I have never once had a Southwest gate agent or flight attendant question my use of a restraint, but you never know. Because of her age, they might give you a hard time, and you don't want to have to check your Marathon if you can help it.

BrookeSLP

So if she is over 40 lbs when we fly, can we not use the MA? She is currently 40 lbs and 43 inches. What do I do with her seat if she is in the regular lap belt?

Dillipop

If you walk on with it and install it and put her in it, I highly doubt they will say anything to you. They are definitely not going to get out a scale and weigh her. Just tell them she is under 40 pounds if they give you problems. The FAA statement also says that you can use the seat to the manufacturers limits, which is 65, so if you don't want to lie about her weight, you can show them that, too. If you want her to have more room, the radian is a great flight seat. It sits low enough to use the tray table and gives the child more legroom.

Oh and if they decide you must check the seat, ask them for reimbursement for the carseat. The tech who was told she was unable to use her son's seat got a new seat since she did not know how the seat was handled and wouldn't use it in a car anymore.

twokidstwodogs

So if she is over 40 lbs when we fly, can we not use the MA? She is currently 40 lbs and 43 inches. What do I do with her seat if she is in the regular lap belt?

I think you could go either way. We flew with DD#1 in a Marathon when she was about that size. (She was younger, though.) But I think that was the last flight we took with her restrained in a seat. After that, we used the lapbelt only. But we still needed a harnessed seat at our destination and I wasn't willing to check the MA, which is why we got the Go (which easily fits in an overhead compartment).

I'd say, give it a shot in the Marathon and don't say anything about her age or weight unless asked. And I doubt you will be asked.

BrookeSLP

Thanks! We'll be getting a Parkway soon for an extra 'just in case' seat for the oldest, so we could take it and just put her in the lap belt. Now to find a car that will work for three seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC