CPSTs

raider23

Hey CPSTs. I am considering attempting to get certified. I just have a few questions.

What are your duties as a CPST?

Do you ever worry that you will install a seat and then something tragic happen? How do you handle that feeling?

How difficult was the program?

Thanks!

ADS

luckyclov

I'm interested in this as well. I've looked into courses in my area and I know they're available...I just have to find someone who can watch my little guy while I'm there all week. Hopefully I can talk DH into using some vacation time. :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My duties are to educate parents about the proper use and installation of car seats, keeping their children safe in/around cars, etc. Largely the same stuff you see on this site.

Tragedies are unavoidable, and even the best-used restraint can't protect everyone in all crashes. When I leave a parent, I take pride in knowing that the child is as safe as I could make him/her. The rest is out of my hands.

I found the class pretty easy, but I had been hanging around here and elsewhere long enough to know most of the info. I think everyone learns something new, though, no matter how well prepared they were.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hey CPSTs. I am considering attempting to get certified. I just have a few questions.

I don't really have "duties." I have obligations as do all CPSTs-- to teach correct information, educate the parents, etc.-- but when and how I do it is up to me. I personally do mostly private checks and volunteer with a local NPO-- we don't have an active Safe Kids. And hang here, of course. ;)
Do you ever worry that you will install a seat and then something tragic happen? How do you handle that feeling?
The parents are always the ones to install the seat. I teach them how to do it properly and how to use the seat properly. What they do after they leave, is up to them. I know I've done MY job and that by so doing, I've increased their child's chances of survival should they be in a crash (assuming they took my advice and followed my directions-- there's always that one parent who won't.) Some crashes are unsurvivable but most aren't-- and we can help parents maximize the odds for the ones that aren't.

Thanks!

Easy for me, because I... hang out here. ;) I already knew most of the stuff taught, and more, was proficient at installing seats already, etc. There were a few tricky parts but not too bad; the curriculum is written at around a high-school level I'd say so not exceedingly technically difficult in most places, and the instructors are generally very helpful. :)

AnnaC

Good info! I'm also thinking about getting certified. Well, after my son can be without me for more than two hours- he's still nursing and won't take a bottle or even a paci. ;)

HayleyCPST

Good info! I'm also thinking about getting certified. Well, after my son can be without me for more than two hours- he's still nursing and won't take a bottle or even a paci. ;)
One of the techs on here brings her baby to the checks and I'm pretty sure she's still nursing. It doesn't seem to hinder her ability to carry on checks. The class portion might be difficult because it's all day, but they might be able to make an arrangement for a nursing mother. :)

The duties are to educate the public/parents/caregivers on the proper installation and use of child restraints. Our job is purely to educate people so they can make decisions, educated or not, about their child's safety.

CPST's do not install the car seat. They might install it first to demonstrate, but the seat leaves with the parents installation. That's why we don't take liability in installing seats. Plus if we were just an installation service, what if they take the seat out? We have to educate them on how to do it by themselves.

Of course I worry about the 8 month old who left with a stubborn father that wouldn't turn her RF. I worry about the 4 yr old without a booster. I worry about the 2 yr old in a booster. I can worry until I turn blue, but it really won't help. I get satisfaction in people that are receptive to new ideas and who truly care as much as I do about their kids to keep them super safe. If I've educated the parents on proper install/use, how long to keep a kid harnessed...etc then I've done my job and I feel good.

raider23

Thank you for the replies. So there's no set amount of hours that you must work each month or anything??

HayleyCPST

Thank you for the replies. So there's no set amount of hours that you must work each month or anything??

You must re-certify every 2 years which includes some seat checks and other things. I don't know exactly since I don't need to recertify yet.

AnnaC

One of the techs on here brings her baby to the checks and I'm pretty sure she's still nursing. It doesn't seem to hinder her ability to carry on checks. The class portion might be difficult because it's all day, but they might be able to make an arrangement for a nursing mother. :)

Yeah, it's the class portion I'm worried about. I just can't leave him all day for 5 days in a row. He'd freak and not be able to eat. :thumbsdown:

HayleyCPST

Yeah, it's the class portion I'm worried about. I just can't leave him all day for 5 days in a row. He'd freak and not be able to eat. :thumbsdown:

What if you have a caregiver bring your baby to you every time he needs to eat? In my doula training, one of the womans' husband was chilling with the baby at the campus and when he needed to feed, the mom would nurse him in class. No one really cared. How old is your baby?

Dorothy

What if you have a caregiver bring your baby to you every time he needs to eat? In my doula training, one of the womans' husband was chilling with the baby at the campus and when he needed to feed, the mom would nurse him in class. No one really cared. How old is your baby?

This is what I do. :) We live an hour away from pretty much everything, and DS won't take a bottle. When everything takes 3+ hrs, leaving him at home with a sitter is just not an option. He will drink water from a straw cup but is adamantly opposed to the idea of getting milk any other way but nursing. So, I travel with an entourage. ;) I've found that most people/places are quite accommodating (which has really surprised me since this isn't statistically a bfing-friendly region). I'm going to try and find a class around here next summer. By then he will surely have become more open-minded. :rolleyes::)

AnnaC

He's 8 months. And yeah, I don't really have any family here. DH's family is an hour away, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him with them all day like that. And no way would DH be able to get off work for an entire week like that.

It's ok. I'm fine waiting a year or so. Just about everything else has been put on hold, so it's the norm for me right now. I haven't even made it to the gym in a week and a half- mostly because of the kids(although I have been sick the past 3 days). I'm just excited to think about getting certified in the future, and that the class is only $75!!! That's awesome!

karlatta

It may depend on the class. Our local coalition requires a commitment to volunteer 20 hours over 2 years in order to allow you into the class.

raider23

Do you know how often they repost new certification classes?
I checked and can't do the one that's in December. Will they post one for January too?

karlatta

Do you know how often they repost new certification classes?
I checked and can't do the one that's in December. Will they post one for January too?

It totally depends. In our area, there's only one every 6 months or so. In other areas, they may have them more or less frequently.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC