lice

nevaehsmommy

How hot can you wash a cover with out damaging the elastic?

My sister is working in the public school as an aide and has brought home lice.

Seats are Graco my ride and Safety 1st 3-1

Her dd1 keeps getting it even after we shampoo and comb like crazy.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Rid lice kit we got came with shampoo, gel, and 'spray for spraying on surfaces that can't be washed'...so bug spray, really. Might try googling more, maybe someone knows if a hot blow dryer on all but the elastic will kill things, or putting the cover in the freezer overnight might kill them?
I also wouldn't really sweat putting my cover in the dryer, closely supervised--so it doesn't snag--, one time. I know certain other elastic containing items in my laundry bag never get ruined till about their 50th time in the dryer :D (NO softeners, that's what destroys the anti-flammability coating the worst).

sunnymw

Honestly, the way I got rid of lice took a little more time but it did the job just the same--and without me having to shampoo (I was pg) or change sheets or boil or anything.

Adult lice lay eggs. Metal flea combs can comb out child and teenage lice and anything bigger than that. You'll never ever ever ever get all the eggs or nits, so I just combed my own hair (and DS1's) twice daily with the flea comb.

Depending on temperature/humidity, most teen/adult lice won't live w/o a life/food source for more than 24 hours. If there is ANY way to just avoid the car seat for 24+ hours, then everything on there is dead. Otherwise, give it a good thorough wipe down before and after riding.

Due to the life cycle of the louse, this method works b/c you are daily eliminating the only source of egg-making (as teens, before they can even make the eggs). So once the eggs in your hair turn into teens, you'll comb them out and be done, essentially.

I hope that explanation makes sense, LOL. I didn't use the shampoo because A. it doesn't work anyway, B. it doesn't work anyway, and C. chemical concerns. (on points A and B, if you'll notice the shampoos give the same combing instructions as I just stated... they just don't want you to know that it's the combing itself that works, LOL).

I wasn't "contagious" after the first few thorough combings b/c as soon as those suckers hatched I'd catch 'em with the flea comb. =P

nevaehsmommy

Our doctor does not like the lice shampoo either. She was quoting us a study on the link between lice shampoo and Leukemia.

Anyway, we have been using a metal lice comb. It works great for getting the eggs and stuff but no so well for the actual louse. Issabellas head is horrible. Like 6-10 eggs per swipe with the comb. This is after 2 weeks of using the silly thing. We HAVE shampooed her hair once and then used gel and then used anti scabies med.

As for the car seat. They are in the nearly every day for one reason or the other. I wonder though at what point do they freeze? We have been having some rather cold nights already. Well below the freezing point.

Also then it is OK to put them in the dryer like once a week until this is all cleared up

skylinphoto

Treat the kid and you, let the carseat sit outside in the sun for 24+ hours and spray the car interior with lice bedding spray.

:)

andre149

I agree, I'm generally anti-chemical, but I would use the Rid spray in this case, because I'm not sure there's any way to kill the lice without "killing" or at least hurting the elastic :)

Another thing that is really good for treatment/prevention is tea tree oil. You can buy tto shampoo or just buy a bottle of it and mix it in with your regular shampoo, it helps a ton. I got it once from one of the kids at the daycare and had minimal luck with the chemical stuff, but with tto shampoo and combing twice a day it was gone within 2-3 days (I kept on it for a while after that, but no more eggs)

nevaehsmommy

Do you need to buy the TTO by its self or can you buy shampoo with it already in it? Either way I have both. But what would be more potent?

As a side note and OT I was told mixed kids cant get lice. This is a lie. Nevaeh did have several of the creepie crawlies in her hair. She has VERY curly hair and it was a pain to comb through. I ended up just putting coconut oil in her hair and putting a shower cap on it all day. When I combed through later they were dead creepy crawlies

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's a wacky myth, for sure. A human head's a human head, they'll move right in and chow down no matter what color it is. (We've had a heck of a case on my dd1's head, she's got super thick curly hair and omg, what a pain to comb that out!)

emandbri

I was told to vacuum the car seats but I went ahead and washed mine. I didn't wash them on hot but did put them in the sun and used other covers for a few days.

mommyfrog

TTO works wonderfully on lice (and other creepy crawlies too, like fleas and scabies). I'd either wash the cover as suggested with TTO in the wash and/or add TTO to a spray bottle of water and spray the car seat. I put TTO in cheap conditioner, saturate the hair, and wash out after 2 or more hours. All the lice and eggs will be dead but you'll want to comb out what you can for cosmetic reasons. My niece came over once just so I could treat her with my TTO conditioner after her mom had been battling lice for weeks with the chemical stuff. I treated her once, combed through her hair one time, and sent her home. They didn't come back.

nevaehsmommy

I will give Rach my bottle of TTO then. They have been in battle mode since the first week of school but only said something after Nevaeh had the bugs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC