Booster over weight limit, suggestions?

Angela

I was contacted by a lady whom we did a seat check for a few months back. Her baby is ready for a convertible and she wanted some suggestions. She also said that she needs some suggestions for an economical booster for her older son. He'll be 7 next month, weighs 94-96 lbs, 50" tall with a 19" torso. I'm not sure if he passes the 5 step test (I'll find out when they get the baby's new seat), but they travel to IL a lot and the law is needs to be in a seat until age 8. So, she's looking for an economical booster. She wants something that will go to 120 lbs since he'll need to use it for at least a year. I suggested some of the boosters that go that high, but I think they're going to be over their price range. So, can she put him in a booster over the weight limit? If so, any suggestions?

ADS

christineka

If the boy's torso is 19 inches, there is no way he's going to be tall enough to keep the should belt off of his neck or cheek unless it is put behind his back.

I'm not a tech, but I remember reading that some car seat reps have said that since boosters are just precrash positioners that the weight limit isn't really important.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd be shocked if he passes the five step test. He's Piper's height, and no way does she (her torso is just a hair under 19"). Not to mention, I'm 61" with a 22" torso and *I* barely pass the five step test in a lot of cars.

A Harmony Lite Rider is definitely the right price. Too bad you can't buy a Parkway or Monterey with just the backless portion.

Wendy

Angela

What about the santa fe?

I emailed her the choices I could think of (santa fe being one of them) and we'll see what she thinks. I know she specifically said economical booster, so I'm not totally sure of her price range.

If she does end up going over the weight limit, is there a specific booster that would be better to go over weight limit than others? I know the LiteRider was suggested, anything else?

HayleyCPST

slightly OT but, Do they even test boosters to their max weight?

I think they all would probably perform the same if you are over the limit, depending on how over you are.

Kat_Momof3

I would booster over the limit in a heartbeat... a booster is simply that... something to boost you up to fit the belt... it's not like the seatbelt won't still restrain the child in the booster once he/she hits a certain weight.

I would suggest wide boosters... the harmony's, the cosco backless (while narrow, it flares out, making it a nice wide seat)

the monterey santa fe has the widest seating and most leg room for a backless booster now that the combi dakota and safety 1st prospect backless (used to be walmart exclusive) are discontinued.

I'd also consider a clek backless... the armrests give it wide room and the seat is very comfy

ALSO... if you use the model number from a nautilus, have them order JUST the base and cover for the base from graco and they can then have a backless nautilus... which is very wide. (you just have to make up a realistic DOM)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC