Converable seat for tiny baby?

SativaStarr

Convertable seat for tiny baby?

So we have been using an Evenflo Portabout infant seat with our 4 month old dd, but its not functioning properly.. it keeps getting stuck in the base and I keep hearing a clicking noise, like the seat is clicking into place in the base well into car rides, so I dont feel comfortable keeping her in this seat any longer.. It isnt expired but its had lots of use (this is the 4th baby its been through) so I think its just worn out.

Anyways, we cant afford to buy a new infant seat (hence why we were borrowing this seat from my sister) but Im leary to switch her into the Evenflo Triumph we bought for her awhile back.. she's 4 months but she's super scrawny at 8 lbs 8 ozs and 21 inches.. I know the seat says from 5 lbs but there is no way a 5 lber would safely fit in that thing IMO..

So my question is, would it be safe to switch dd RF in the Triumph? Or should I continue using the Portabout? We also have a Cosco Arriva in my MIL's car that we could get back for dd, but I've never felt very safe with my kids in a 3 point harness.. What would you do in this situation?

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Triumph has really low bottom slots, it should be right at her shoulders, and a little above is ok. If I hated the portabout, I'd happily switch to the Triumph, personally.

:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
5 point harnesses are safer

What vehicle year/make/model :confused: The "best" seat fits the child, fits the vehicle & is always used correctly :thumbsup: Always read & follow both the carseat + vehicle manuals.... The Triumph should be just fine since it does fit small babies better than many convertibles -- in a few years she might outgrow it before she's truly ready for a booster, though, so just remember us & check back in with us :) Also, I would order replacement straps just in case they've been washed or ironed: new straps will be easier to prevent from twisting, too :whistle:

mominabigtruck

I would feel very comfortable using a triumph for a newborn, they have very low bottom slots and it has a very good recline that is almost like an infant seat. On the other hand I would not feel at all comfortable about using an arriva. It is an absolutely horrible seat, because of the way it buckles it doesn't fit babies very well and there's no way you're going to get a good fit on that small of a baby.

SativaStarr

Re: 5 point harnesses are safer

What vehicle year/make/model :confused: The "best" seat fits the child, fits the vehicle & is always used correctly :thumbsup: Always read & follow both the carseat + vehicle manuals.... The Triumph should be just fine since it does fit small babies better than many convertibles -- in a few years she might outgrow it before she's truly ready for a booster, though, so just remember us & check back in with us :) Also, I would order replacement straps just in case they've been washed or ironed: new straps will be easier to prevent from twisting, too :whistle:

I drive a 2002 Hyundai Accent.. and the seats have an awful incline so I HAVE to use rolled towels to keep any rear facing seat at a 45 degree angle..

all together ooky

Re: 5 point harnesses are safer

Just wanted to mention that you can use the portabout without the base. The seatbelt goes though the bottom of the seat so it can be installed like a regular RF seat. And since the seatbelt doesn't go over the baby it's easy to put the baby in and out of the seat while it's installed in the car.

SativaStarr

I installed the Triumph for dd in my car today.. surpringly she actually fits pretty well in it. Although two RF Triumphs in my Hyundai Accent takes up ALOT of room.. theres only about 4-5" between the seats. My only concern is ds beating up on his sister.. lol

And I'm going to just install the portabout in dh's car w/out the base. Speaking of, I best get out there before it gets dark. Thanks again for all the great info!

mominabigtruck

Just out of curiosity, how old is your portabout? I mean did you buy it new? I bought one a couple of years ago and also had problems with the base and I called evenflo and they sent me a brand new one and it worked fine. I always think that it something doesn't work right you should talk to the manufacturer, you pay alot of money for baby stuff and I would expect it to work properly.

all together ooky

Just out of curiosity, how old is your portabout? I mean did you buy it new? I bought one a couple of years ago and also had problems with the base and I called evenflo and they sent me a brand new one and it worked fine. I always think that it something doesn't work right you should talk to the manufacturer, you pay alot of money for baby stuff and I would expect it to work properly.

Oooo! Good suggestion. I never felt good about using my base either. It was always sticking.

SativaStarr

It was manufactured 07-10-03 and while I personally didnt buy it new, it was bought new by my mother when my sister had her first child and all the grandchildren have used it (dd is #4).. so Im not sure if its something theyd replace, or simply attribute to normal wear/tear.. that and Im pretty sure they stopped making this model a few years ago.

mominabigtruck

Well technically its only 3.5 yo and since its been in the family I would still call. I think that if a seat expires in 6 years then it should work correctly for all 6 years and shouldn't start falling apart until after then. My seat always stuck in the base I had in the truck, but worked great in my mom's van. So I do think it has something to do with the base definitely. And besides, if they're not making that model anymore make you can talk them into giving you a different replacement seat.;)

VLsMom

The evenflo triumph is a great seat! i have it, and it would fit a little tiny baby just fine. like pp said, it has very low harness slot placement for the lowest harness positions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC