Is the Vivo just a PITA or is it just me?

fyrfightermomma

So I wanna full time booster Evelyn in the spring. She'll be close to 6 by then. She sits fine now but I want her to gain a bit more first.

We have a Vivo. Is it just me is that a royal PITA? It's so hard to get the belt in the belt path and she can unbuckle herself but the belt always gets stuck so she can't get out!

Are we just not very good at this or is it harder than others?

I'm thinking it'd be easier to buckle and for her to unbuckle if it had a more open belt path. Like just armrests.

What booster would you suggest? I need it to have a 30 lb limit as she'll probably only be about 37 or so by then. And it has to fit littles well. She has long legs so leg support is good but not too big! LOL

Any recommendations?

ETA: She LOVES big ol head wings so that isn't an issue

ADS

christineka

We've not had a problem with it, but my kids are older and experienced with buckling and unbuckling in a three across.

TerisBoys

The trick we've found is to add slack to the shoulder belt - both while buckling and unbuckling.

So - to buckle you want to pull the belt out extra far, then thread just the belt into the path, not the buckle. Buckle, then let the slack feed back in.

To unbuckle, same thing - pull the shoulderbelt out, unbuckle, then take just the webbing out of the beltpath.

Hopefully this makes sense - my camera is dead so I can't even give a pictorial.

fyrfightermomma

The trick we've found is to add slack to the shoulder belt - both while buckling and unbuckling.

So - to buckle you want to pull the belt out extra far, then thread just the belt into the path, not the buckle. Buckle, then let the slack feed back in.

To unbuckle, same thing - pull the shoulderbelt out, unbuckle, then take just the webbing out of the beltpath.

Hopefully this makes sense - my camera is dead so I can't even give a pictorial.

I know what you are saying. She's just not coordinated enough to do that herself. I can do it for buckling but she unbuckles herself and by the time I get back there she is a flailing hysterical mess because she can't get out :rolleyes:

firemomof3

I know what you mean about the Vivo, I'm telling you...get the Oobr :thumbsup: Its got a 33lb. minimum and dd2 fits perfectly and its super easy to buckle :love:
boosters003.jpg

fyrfightermomma

I know what you mean about the Vivo, I'm telling you...get the Oobr :thumbsup: Its got a 33lb. minimum and dd2 fits perfectly and its super easy to buckle :love:
boosters003.jpg

Is it crazy heavy? It looks like it. We have them at our local baby store so I wouldn't have to pay shipping or anything. And I get 20% coupons frequently from there. It LATCH's right? It will be in a non LATCH or tether spot so I wanna make sure the LATCH attachments don't interfere.

fyrfightermomma

Holy :eek: at the price! I didn't realize they were that expensive. They are 279 at buy buy baby and with 20% off it's still 254. Not sure I can stomach that. *gulp*

TerisBoys

I'd honestly go with a basic Turbo. Fits littles well and inexpensive.

Or. What's the minimum for the ProBooster? It fits similarly to the Vivo, doesn't it? But has more open armrests.

ETA - Comparison pics here.

MommyBoha

The ProBooster would be AWESOME!! Its a fantastic fit on my 34lbs 4 year old(who doesnt use, just tried it out) My DS is 44lbs and he loves his PB.

babyherder

The vivo is annoying to get buckled and unbuckled. To unbuckle the kids I've used it with just yank the belt really hard until it comes out of the belt path. They only get upset when I try to help them! I won't let them buckle by themselves yet, even though they want to. If we have extra time I'll let them try but then I have to redo it cause they just can't get the seatbelt to not twist in the beltpath.

Melanie

I wonder if it's the seat or if it's her buckling ability. DD has only been boostered in a Vivo. She's 5y7mo. She's been occasionally using it since 5. She couldn't get it buckled until a month ago. It was frustrating both of us. All the sudden it just clicked and she was able to do it.

I don't know if that's the case with your kiddo or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

fyrfightermomma

She doesn't buckle herself (I wouldn't let her yet). But she does unbuckle herself. In her turbo (the whole like 4 times she's used it) she just reaches over, unbuckles, and pulls the seatbelt off her.

In the Vivo, she reaches over, unbuckles, and then tries to pull the belt away from her but the buckle gets stuck cause it doesn't fit really in the belt path and she freaks.

I have a hard time getting it out at times as well. It's just annoying. Maybe my buckles are big or something :p

We already have a turbo which I'm fine using occasionally, but it just doesn't seem substantial (or comfy enough) to use full time. I dunno, it just seems flimsy :eek:

I think I'll just go with the PB next spring plus I get the tech discount

christineka

Can you teach your dd to push the seatbelt out of the path either before or just after buckling? My 5 year old has ridden in the vivo before, in a 3 across and never had a problem. We have big buckles too, but just the seatbelt goes in and out of the belt path.

lovinwaves

I forgot to reply back to you, sorry! I'm not sure how buckling goes, because I haven't had a lot of booster to compare too. I do remember the Monterey being super easy though and allowing room for car seats next to it, but that seat obviously wouldn't be the best choice for your petite DD. It seems like the ProBooster is easy to buckle, and I haven't had any problems or complaints. It's a solid seat (as you probably know), but it's not heavy and awkward, imo. Easy to move vehicle to vehicle, or vehicle to garage. And from my DD's pictures on FB you can tell it would be E very well :)

Oh, and the covers are identical to that on the ProSports, so you know what that should feel like!

(probooster in my siggie)

fyrfightermomma

Don't you have a Start?

Yep, but I never got a great answer on when it expires and it's pretty darn old. 11/03. I've heard 6 years, 8 years, 10 years and never. So I never used it past 6 years.

And doesn't it have to be top tethered? She will be in an untethered spot (so her poor sister can finally have a tethered harnessed seat!).

I've never even tried it as a booster. It was only used with the shield. Maybe I should give it a try? The belt guides kind of make me nervous LOL

solmama

What about an old style Parkway? They're super easy to buckle/unbuckle and have nice, deep headwings. The leg support lacks a bit, but my dd doesn't complain. There's one in swap right now.

fyrfightermomma

What about an old style Parkway? They're super easy to buckle/unbuckle and have nice, deep headwings. The leg support lacks a bit, but my dd doesn't complain. There's one in swap right now.

I thought about it, and even had an ISO thread on here. But with the problems with the headrest staying up and the fact that most were already halfway through their lifespan, I just didn't want to spend the money on something that could expire in two to three years, KWIM?

I guess I worded it wrong. I don't need something super duper easy to buckle or anything. Just something not as crazy of a tight fit as the vivo. Just one with basic old armrests. :) Like 99% of the boosters out there LOL. The belt path on the Vivo is just weird I guess. Maybe it's just me. It's kinda like the YS. Not super easy to use.

I think I'm just gonna do a PB.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC